Talk

Advanced search

selling on clothes etc

(17 Posts)
bluetea Tue 10-May-16 18:26:00

Do you think that I ABU to be pi$$ed off at my best friend who is selling items of kids clothes and toys (on a FB selling page) that I gave to her child once my child had out grown them? She didn't ask me if she could or tell me that she was going to, I found out via my own FB page. I feel that she is making money out of items that I gave her out out of goodwill. What are your thoughts?

EatShitDerek Tue 10-May-16 18:26:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSuspiciousMsWhicher Tue 10-May-16 18:28:47

We're they a gift or did you make it clear they were to be returned?

I give away a lot of clothes. It wouldn't bother me if my friends sold them on.

bluetea Tue 10-May-16 19:01:53

I gave them to her maybe 6 months ago. I guess it's just the fact that I found out on FB rather than her telling me. No, I didn't want them back. Guess I ABU!

curren Tue 10-May-16 19:10:39

Yep, Yabu. You have them to her meaning they belong to her. It's up to her what she does with them

WordGetsAround Tue 10-May-16 19:11:50

6 months ago? I think that YANBU and she is flipping cheeky!

readytorage Tue 10-May-16 19:12:56

No YANBU. A friend profiting from your goodwill? Pretty shitty and k certainly wouldn't do it.

Pay it forward. Don't make money from your friend's generosity

readytorage Tue 10-May-16 19:13:18

*a friend's generosity

Nocabbageinmyeye Tue 10-May-16 19:13:29

Technically yabu but it is still a bit cheeky I think, I'd just sell on all future clothes myself if I were you and not pass them on

RaeSkywalker Tue 10-May-16 19:15:44

If someone gave me clothes, I would pass on to someone else for free. If I needed to sell if I was struggling for money, I would ask if the gifted minded and explain the reason why.

She's not doing anything wrong legally (obviously), but I'm guessing you feel that selling on is against the spirit that they were given in?

Akire Tue 10-May-16 19:16:58

It's rather cheeky given you could have sold them yourself, passing them into someone else fine but I'd least expected to be asked if someone was making a profit. They gain from good will gift and get the money. I would think it's rude certainly would disincline me from passing things on in future

RaeSkywalker Tue 10-May-16 19:18:14

That should be "gifter" not "gifted" blush

MiddleClassProblem Tue 10-May-16 19:18:21

I understand why your pissed off but the other options are give to someone else, charity or bin so either way she gets rid of them. If they're really strapped for cash and that's a reason she took the clothes then I guess you should feel like you've helped them twice

RaeSkywalker Tue 10-May-16 19:19:39

Playing Devil's advocate: I suppose that if she's selling a lot of clothes she might not realise that items you have given her are in the bundle?

PirateFairy45 Tue 10-May-16 19:20:54

Have you spoken to her about it?

TurtleEclipseofTheHeart Tue 10-May-16 19:28:26

I've been given lots of secondhand clothes for DS. As he's grown out of them I've put them in boxes in the loft. If the people who gave them to me go on to have more children I will then offer them back, if I have another child first I will ask whether they are still happy for me to keep hold of them, just in case they were expecting them back.

Ilovenannyplum Tue 10-May-16 19:34:52

I'd be pissed right off if things I had given friends were being sold on.

If they had bought them from me, I wouldn't mind but making a profit from your generosity is a piss take

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now