Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how to treat depression naturally?

(22 Posts)
aileen1234 Tue 10-May-16 18:06:19

any ideas? I can't exercise by the way

MetalMidget Tue 10-May-16 18:26:32

St John's Wort is supposed to be effective (I think it's actually offered on prescription in some European countries?), but you can't take it if you're on the contraceptive pill (as it interferes with effectiveness, IIRC).

Therapy can be enormously beneficial - from personal experience, I'd say more so than any tablet.

someonestolemynick Tue 10-May-16 18:31:29

Second St John's Word and see if you can get therapy.
Also going for walks of running is great. Nature and excercise are amazing forbdepression. Force yourself to go for a walk every day.
flowers

GissASquizz Tue 10-May-16 18:31:30

Keep your brain busy. Reading is good. Get outside every day. Try and achieve one small task a day, even if it's a load of washing. When the negative spiral begins, find something positive as a mantra. Imagine how you'd spend a lottery win or how you'd decorate your dream home. Forcibly direct your mind in a positive way. Depression is a warning between you and your brain. Try and force some sun on the evil bastard and slap it back into line.

Although I really do rate the drugs.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Tue 10-May-16 18:34:47

When I was severely depressed, I needed to be on 40mg of Citalopram in order to get to a stage where I could benefit from exercising & therapy.

KurriKurri Tue 10-May-16 18:35:59

When you say you can't exercise - what are your limitations - I mean are you able to do any kind of movement (sorry I don;t mean to be nosey just wondered if there is anything you can manage - sitting down movement perhaps) Exercise and movement is good if there's anything you could have a go at. There are things called Yoga Mudras which are essentially hand exercises which I have used in the past to help, yoga nidra is a type of deep relaxation which can help if you have problems sleeping - you can get CD's which talk you through the nidra

Also mindfulness and meditation - there are lots of books on mindfulness and stuff on youtube, and guided meditations.

I find music helps (sometimes even listening to sad music which makes me cry - it is a form of release I think)

What about something like a relaxation class - breathing techniques can certainly help with anxiety if that is involved in your depression, and relaxation can help untense your body and concentrate your mind on the physical manifestations of depression and how they can be alleviated.

I suspect there may be dietary things you can try too (I don't know much about this but maybe someone else will)

I have also found having some sort of routine in my life helps - even if it is a very basic one- it sort of motivates you through the day and can help you move on from one thing to the next when you get very down (But beware of being too rigid otherwise you will feel you have failed if you can;t stick to a plan)

Do you have any pets or friends with pets, petting dogs and cats releases endorphins I believe and is very comforting (actually - bonkers as it may sound a teddy bear might work too - that's just a passing thought I cuddle a little cuddly pig I have a night when I am down - sounds sill but if it helps why not? - it can't harm !)

Are you able to have a massage of any kind? I've had aromatherapy massages which are lovely, and I'm planning on trying an Indian head massage, and I know some people enjoy reflexology (hands and feet massage)

I hope you feel better soon - it's rotten isn't it - I'm having a bit of a slump myself at the moment and I find it hard to do things I know might help even while I recognise the need for them - because I get very lethargic and mentally talk everything down. I do try to make sure I cook a meal every day, so I'm eating reasonably and do something relaxing every day (knitting or reading in my case) and I try to chat to friends regularly so I don't cut myself off.

PastaLaFeasta Tue 10-May-16 18:39:25

Just getting out helps. But we are all different so you need to find out what works for you. I personally find creating obligation forces me out and to ineract with people which makes a huge difference.

Ifiwasabadger Tue 10-May-16 18:41:03

I've been taking 5htp for two months and noticed a positive difference...it's supposed to better than St. John's wort...

MiddleClassProblem Tue 10-May-16 18:41:24

There's a mindfulness app called head space which is meant to be good for helping manage things. I wouldn't be able to do it at rock bottom though

pocketsaviour Tue 10-May-16 18:43:56

Do you know if the depression is situational, trauma-related or chemical/biological? Because that will make a difference to what helps.

Leigh1980 Tue 10-May-16 18:44:26

Eye Q is amazingly good or another type of Omega 3 oil

girlwithagruffalotattoo Tue 10-May-16 18:47:11

Getting outside always helps me, in you're able to get to any kind of green space? Eating well, rich, real nutritious food, crusty bread and butter, chocolate, whatever you like.
Does depend on the severity of the depression though, if you're in a place where you can hardly force yourself to get dressed then it'll be harder to treat naturally. I'd say take it slow,be kind to yourself, don't be afraid of the drugs, they're not the end of the line and a short course can really help sometimes.
flowers cake and brew for you smile

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Tue 10-May-16 18:51:02

Just be really careful. Depression at its worst is a very serious illness.

BillSykesDog Tue 10-May-16 18:52:48

Online CBT:

moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

Run by an Australian Uni and recommended by the NHS. Really very good.

Google Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)

BertrandRussell Tue 10-May-16 18:54:44

Aileen- please seek proper professional help before you decide on a course of treatment.

mawbroon Tue 10-May-16 19:04:56

As others have said, it depends how depressed you are.

I was severely depressed and any of the natural remedies were like farting against thunder.

The only thing that helped me were antidepressants.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Tue 10-May-16 19:14:22

It's kind of like the difference between self-medicating a cold & self-medicating cancer IMO. One, reasonable. The other.... not. And you need to be well enough to know where you are. Looking back at myself how, I'm fucking horrified that I didn't get myself to the GP much earlier.

Lilaclily Tue 10-May-16 19:17:29

I was on mild ads , & wanted to try without
I gave up drinking at home, was so hard quitting nearly a bottle of wine a night but is definitely helping
Also losing weight as being fat was asking me miserable

KurriKurri Tue 10-May-16 19:18:54

I totally agree with everyone regarding getting professional help - I have made suggestions regarding self help things - because you asked for them and they are largely things to make you feel more relaxed, but they are definitely to be seen as complementary not alternative treatments.

You need to get yourself assessed by your GP not all depression can be managed on your own. There are many positive things you can do as suggested above, fresh air & daylight, exercise, mindfulness & healthy eating. None of that is likely to deal with severe depression although it may help as you begin to recover.
Two really important points
1. If you are already taking medication for other reasons then check interactions before taking any herbal remedies.
2. If you are already taking anti-depressants don't stop them suddenly to try a natural approach. Agreed with your Doctor the safest approach.

hefzi Tue 10-May-16 20:31:14

Second what others have said, about getting professional input first - and if you use any weed etc, cut that out completely too. If you're interested in how supplements might help, try looking at The Mood Cure - Tyrosine made a huge difference to me a year ago, and she makes the point that once you are forgetting to take your supplements, you no longer need them. It hasn't cured me- I still have to take 2 other drugs daily - but it has helped to the extent that I was at the top of both the doses for those, and running out of other options, and now I am functional again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now