Talk

Advanced search

I still feel angry, and don't know whether it's with me, DP or the nhs - or all three

(10 Posts)
callherwillow Tue 10-May-16 16:45:23

Until recently, I was as fit as a fiddle but since the start of 2016 experienced a broken limb, which wasn't diagnosed until a few weeks later and to be honest the whole thing wasn't very pleasant and I developed a bit of anxiety about medical professionals because I felt I wasn't being taken seriously - I know this is irrational but I also had a lot of other things happening and I was probably quite depressed.

My partner works in a medical field. He believes and always has that the answers to life's problems can be found in a pharmacy. He loves hospitals, which I know sounds a bit weird, but I think he gets off on the drama a bit. Also loves reading accounts of doctors/nurses having done something wrong and being disciplined or struck off.

Anyway, I had a tooth abscess over the weekend, really painful but was managing ok with pain relief and gargling with mouthwash and so on. Yesterday I 'overdosed' - took 12 painkillers rather than the recommended 8. I did not do this on purpose but I lost track of how many I'd had. DP found out and was getting really intense about it telling me to go to A and E. I was saying oh, come on, I'm fine - but to placate him rang 111. To my surprise they recommended A and E too.

So I saw his face light up and off we went. Registered, got ignored for two hours, and it hurt my healing limb to sit for so long on hard chairs. Then had bloods taken. All the time DP was harassing the receptionist. At 2 am (went in at 10) was told it would be another 4 hours, I had to set off for work at 7.

I feel so angry with myself I suppose, I'm exhausted and overwrought but also with DP. He really gets off on the drama and denies it but he would just happily sit in a hospital all day. He kept trying to get me to ask for pain relief.

I don't know, I'm just pissed off that I could have spent yesterday night bathing my tooth tucked up in a comfy bed and instead spent it at a and e and did not need to.

shiveringhiccup Tue 10-May-16 17:01:46

Does he do this often? There's a type of abuse where the person makes you feel that you're ill and pushes you into medical treatment as a way to control you.

That's kind of an extreme and he might have just been worried about you tbf.

I'd be pretty miffed though.

callherwillow Tue 10-May-16 17:04:12

I don't think it's as extreme as that but it's not out of concern for me, it's for his enjoyment, I feel. He also tried to barge in on medical appointments, speak to doctors/nurses on my behalf.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 10-May-16 17:04:23

Well in fairness 111 said to go in and the qualified medical people felt you needed bloods taken. So although you were ok I'm guessing there's a chance you could have damaged your liver. It doesn't take many paracetamol over the recommended dose to affect you.....some people will be fine, others won't be and without a blood test you don't know.

hippoherostandinghere Tue 10-May-16 17:04:34

Munchausen by proxy syndrome I think shivering is think off.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 10-May-16 17:04:55

Though he's an idiot for harassing the receptionist.

hippoherostandinghere Tue 10-May-16 17:05:08

*thinking

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 10-May-16 17:06:44

I think munchausens by proxy they will either make stuff/symptoms up about another person or do stuff such as low level poisoning to make them ill.

ChicRock Tue 10-May-16 17:06:53

Hmm well you did need to go to A&E, it just so happened that you were fine this time.

But your DP sounds tiresome. I find people who thrive on hospital drama really odd - did he make sure to 'check in' on Facebook. grin

callherwillow Tue 10-May-16 17:06:54

I don't know that they did think that, simin, I'd been there a good two hours before I had bloods taken. Just following procedure, I just felt like a massive nuisance sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now