Talk

Advanced search

to apply for new NHS jobs when pregnant?

(11 Posts)
stupidbloodyjob Tue 10-May-16 12:04:15

I'm only 10 weeks pregnant with my first so no one at work knows and I also know there is still a chance things will go wrong with the pregnancy at such an early stage.

But I'm starting to really hate my job (things in the system have recently changed and my role has become really devalued) I think I need to leave but I've got a 3 month notice period which means realistically I could be offered and start a new job when 6 months pregnant which doesn't seem fair but I also don't know if I want to return to this post after maternity leave (I could begrudgingly stick it out til Dec)

So, aibu to apply for a new job and not tell them I'm pregnant or is there a way of taking NHS maternity and moving onto a new job after that (I would stay in the NHS so I'm not screwing them over for maternity leave just not the same service)

(Name changed for this)

bluebelle2662 Tue 10-May-16 12:14:10

You can return to any job in the NHS following maternity leave and not have to pay back your maternity pay, so you could change jobs after maternity leave no problem. You just have to go back for 3 months so as not to end up paying it back.

Does that make sense? I'm really tired! Sorry!

stupidbloodyjob Tue 10-May-16 12:17:37

Thanks that's really helpful - so do I have to go back to my current job or could I return to a different NHS job?

(Sorry to hear you are so tired)

TheCrumpettyTree Tue 10-May-16 12:20:06

You can return to a different NHS job as long as you transfer within the NHS. If you don't go back at all, you'll have to pay back your maternity pay. Unless you go back for three months, that's the minimum.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 10-May-16 12:23:11

I was working for one sector of the NHS whilst I was pregnant and then handed my notice in whilst on my maternity due to accepting another job in the NHS which I started as soon as my maternity ended.

I felt bad about not going back to my original job after my maternity leave had ended but in the NHS it's perfectly allowed.

YouCanButImNot Tue 10-May-16 12:28:34

I also didn't go back to my original nhs job following may leave, moved to a different nhs trust and just had to provide my previous trust with a copy of my letter that had my start date on it. Didn't have to pay anything back.

stupidbloodyjob Tue 10-May-16 12:36:20

Oh you are all brilliant - thank you!

AJ279 Tue 10-May-16 17:41:40

I've just returned from NHS maternity leave into another NHS organisation and got my maternity package. And I'd started my previous NHS job whilst 8 weeks pregnant (recruitment takes months). The only thing to be prepared for is they will tell you you won't get smp on top of the maternity package, but you just apply for maternity allowance through the job centre and it works out the same.

Ladyboluna Tue 10-May-16 17:45:18

You will only be entitled to nhs maternity leave after you have worked there for 12 months BEFORE you go on maternity leave.

Unless your current employer offers something better you'll still only get statutory.

I know this as a friend of mine was only 3 weeks short of qualifying for nhs leave and had to have statutory instead.

Ladyboluna Tue 10-May-16 17:47:42

Unless you already work for nhs you don't make that clear.

I started a new job while pregnant. Worked for nhs previously and new job was also nhs so kept my entitlement. I found out I was pregnant a week or so after accepting the offer so slightly different.

stupidbloodyjob Tue 10-May-16 18:19:47

Yes, sorry I'm already in the NHS and have been for over 10 years. Is it a crap thing to do to a new employer though? It is isn't it? I'd be 6 months or more before I started in post. I'll maybe go with the advice of applying for something else whilst on maternity

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now