Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to put my toddler to bed, read a story, kiss her, turn out the light and leave to enjoy my own relaxing evening, like a beautiful movie?

(57 Posts)
LightHouser Mon 09-May-16 20:24:03

Yes, yes I am.

But I still want it.

Coldtoeswarmheart Mon 09-May-16 20:24:46

YANBU.

wine

MizK Mon 09-May-16 20:26:26

YANBU
Am typing this whilst lying in my 5 year old DDS bed waiting for her to fall asleep. I swore I would never be this mother...fml!

Floggingmolly Mon 09-May-16 20:27:41

To want it, not at all. To imagine it's going to happen, probably...

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 09-May-16 20:29:05

YANBU at all.
I have my DD (almost 2) laying on me as it's the only way she will fall asleep so I feel your pain!

LisaRinnasLips Mon 09-May-16 20:29:36

How old?

UmbongoUnchained Mon 09-May-16 20:30:07

Please don't tell me they change 😩 My 20 month old is great at going to bed but if this changes then might have to swap her for a large bottle of gin.

mygorgeousmilo Mon 09-May-16 20:30:19

YANBU mine are always in bed by 7pm with no negotiations, I couldn't bear it! I neeeeed the evening to myself, and you do too winechocolateflowers

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Mon 09-May-16 20:30:23

We don't have this problem anymore.

13 month old ds used to take me over an hour to get to sleep, multiple bf, rocking, singing, waiting till he was fast asleep the carefully laying him down and creeping away...

Now dh does it, while I put dd (6) to bed, which takes about 5mins.

Sorted.

BumWad Mon 09-May-16 20:31:36

YANBU

I am staring nervously at the video monitor watching 11 month old DS make his way around the car and willing him to sleep!

BumWad Mon 09-May-16 20:32:12

The cot not car grin

Purplepicnic Mon 09-May-16 20:33:43

It will pass. Promise.

Floggingmolly Mon 09-May-16 20:34:06

I didn't like to ask, Bumwad!

summerdreams Mon 09-May-16 20:34:49

Yanbu im laying in bed with my 21 month ds as we speak he tosses and tuns and wakes up constantly looking for me I cant watch tv as it will wake him if I leave he wakes up screaming. The only advantage is it stops my eating in the evenings wink.

Believeitornot Mon 09-May-16 20:36:11

YABU (why not, I'll say it grin)

When they're older it is more likely to happen. However toddlers are like little Klingons sometimes (although my dd when she was 2, used to shout at dh to go away at bedtime! Never me though hmmgrin)

Lalaloopsyscaresme Mon 09-May-16 20:37:53

OP it is possible, we do this with both of ours every night (4 and 2 year olds).
I know I'm the luckiest mother ever but I fairest they are both extremely full on all day long.
My 4 year old can be a bit of a nightmare during the night and they are both up for the day at 6.
But we put them to bed at 7 no arguing.

OreoHeaven Mon 09-May-16 20:54:16

I've been upstairs since 630. I'm lying in a toddler bed with a 3yo who is still awake. The other children are just about asleep. Annoyingly it wasn't even a bath night. I NEED MY EVENING BUT THEY HAVEN'T READ THE MANUAL!!!

LightHouser Mon 09-May-16 20:56:00

Hahaha all! Thanks!

I am being unreasonable, I know it, I just felt like dreaming for a while there and thought posting here may be good for a laugh. Mumsnet, you haven't failed me. In fairness she's an absolute superstar and didn't usually take long to get to sleep, but I do have to do feed and rock and sing (of course I do, she's little). Once asleep she's easy to slip away from. Anyway, it's just the odd nights where it takes hours to get her to sleep even though she's rubbing her eyes and yawning her head off. She's not upset, in fact she's laughing and trying to get me to play. It's both adorable and the most insanely irritating thing I've ever experienced.

LisaRinnaslips, LG is 19 months.

Lovelongweekends Mon 09-May-16 20:58:42

I was living that dream until the bastarding clocks went forward, now it's nearly nine o'clock, I've already had one failed attempt to get them to sleep, we've sat through an episode of Grand Designs and now we're on attempt two!

LightHouser Mon 09-May-16 20:59:01

Lalaloops.. you are the exception! :-)

My girl is full on all day too but then I only have one. On the other hand hubby works away for weeks at a time so it's relentless. I don't know how single parents do it, you're all amazing.

LightHouser Mon 09-May-16 21:00:45

Lovelongweekends, argh, nightmare!

My LG has finally gone to sleep... * phew *

trilbydoll Mon 09-May-16 21:00:51

Yanbu. Although I'm currently chilling out in DD's bed while DH cleans the kitchen so I guess it isn't all bad grin

Icecappedpinetrees Mon 09-May-16 21:02:58

Oh I'll give you 3 guesses what my DH and I are currently "discussing"....

27 months old, 27 months!! And it is getting harder, not easier.

Pass the wine, oh no wait, I'm pregnant, it's my due date today, soon if I'm lucky I'll be breastfeeding a baby and that'll help soothe bedtimes for my toddler, right? Right?! <panic setting in>

Sharesinpampers Mon 09-May-16 21:05:52

YANBU but relieved it's not just me that needs to lie beside my two year old to get her to go to sleep! We had a blissful 6 months starting when DD was 15 months where she went to sleep herself and slept through the night.

Then she decided no more. And now comes through to our bed during the night. It's almost worse. We know she can do it but won't!

Verticalvenetianblinds Mon 09-May-16 21:07:32

10 month old who will only sleep on me, so in bed with him, but I haven't had dinner! So starving but daren't move in case he wakes up...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now