Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you can take food through security at the airport?

(35 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:06:22

We are flyign from T2 at Manchester Airport. We were going to have lunch before we get to the airport but we are flying earlier than I thought. As such, we need to eat at the airport and I nearly died when I saw the prices of the food in one of the pubs I nearly spat my drink out. £11 for a burger?! So, I know they have a greggs and a spar shop at T2 arrivals. Was thinking of either packing some food to eat when we get through (homemade sarnies) or buying a sarnie from the supermarket or greggs but are we allowed to take them through? I know it's part of the holiday but I'm not paying over the odds for something by that much!!!

curren Mon 09-May-16 14:07:49

Ds has food issues and we have always taken a sandwich through for him. We usually take snacks too.

Never been challenged on it.

CMOTDibbler Mon 09-May-16 14:09:05

Sarnies, biscuits, sausage rolls, fruit, all fine. Tub of hummus, yogurt, jelly not OK as they are liquids/pastes

Beepbopboop Mon 09-May-16 14:09:43

I've always taken food through with me. (Don't like plane food)
Never had anything happen.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:09:57

My son has a milk allergy so it would be great if we can do this. Not only for us but him too.

SavoyCabbage Mon 09-May-16 14:10:17

Yes but to get through security it has to not contain more than 100mls of liquid or gel. So no yogurt or drinks. You can take empty water bottles and fill them 'on the other side'.

My dd is anaphylactic so I have to take her food. It counts in your luggage allowance too. Which gets on my nerves.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:10:57

Fab so sarnies, crisps - solid stuff basically - is ok?

Im not forking out £11 on a bloody burger!

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:11:35

Has anyone been to T2 Manchester lately?

BiddyPop Mon 09-May-16 14:25:44

I don't think there's a problem bringing food through. If you are flying to some places, there are certain foods you can't take (which means, for example, that in Dublin you have to hand over all fruit before you sit down airside if going to the US, as you clear customs there).

But food to eat once you are through security, in the normal course of events (or even, on the plane before you get there) is normally absolutely fine.

Just don't bring liquids or sloppy foods (e.g. yoghurt) as they may consider those in the "liquids" category. So be prepared to pay for drinks (although there should be a water fountain somewhere - just bring empty drinking bottles and fill those).

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 09-May-16 14:28:41

I always take snacks like crisps and chocolate. DS has taken home-made burgers and salad, no issues with that.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:29:52

Thanks all smile

neighbourhoodwoes Mon 09-May-16 14:31:28

Yep anything solid food wise:
Sandwiches, fruit, crisp, cake is fine.

No yoghurts or liquid foods.

We have been to terminal two recently.

BiddyPop Mon 09-May-16 14:32:30

Actually, if your DS has a formally diagnosed milk allergy, can you get a letter from the Doctor to say that, and you may also be allowed to bring through suitable drinks for him at least? As well as any foods required. (I am presuming you use an "alternative" milk of some sort for him - lactose free, soya or something - that's what I am thinking of, and any liquid meds, and any other drinks he normally has that are suitable and may not be easy to get in airports/planes/hols).

MorticiaLiverish Mon 09-May-16 14:37:44

I feel your pain - me and OH went from T2 last year, we went to the new pub and had a burger and a pint each before boarding, cost nearly £40!!!

You can definitely take food through as others have said, just no liquids. I took Pringles and biscuits and saw others with sandwiches.

OhIfIMust Mon 09-May-16 14:41:02

Our DS has a milk allergy and we took all food needed for a 24 hour flight to Australia (airline only did lactose free meals and he is CMPI, and we weren't sure what there would be available during brief stopover either) with no problems. We did take letter from doctor but never needed to show it. We were also allowed to take his soy milk with us in long life mini cartons - airport just scanned it before take off. With a letter from your docs you should be fine. You obviously can't take ice packs etc to keep food cool because they contain liquids. We flew from London not Manchester.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 14:44:12

BiddyPop Already got that one covered. Hoping we can take through soya milk in bottles/a sealed carton for him.

Thanks all for your help. Have found the pub we usually go to does breakfast so we will be going there I think for a fry up beforehand - eliminating the food issue altogether - except for my son which will hopefully be covered by the GP letter.

stairwaytoheaven Mon 09-May-16 15:12:37

There's a Boots and Smith's when you are airside
They do meal deals for the same price as in high st stores. If you buy after security you can take these on board as well as hand luggage.
2 is better than 3 it's got burger king and Frankie and Bennies.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 15:18:24

Ah fab Stairway. Do you know if the BK is airport or high st prices?

BarbaraofSeville Mon 09-May-16 15:22:25

Second the Boots meal deal recommendation, but you can take your own packed lunch if you prefer.

Burger King is extortionate airport prices not normal high street prices so burger meal will be £7/8/9? I'm not sure how much because I always look and think I'm not paying that much for fucking Burger King.

crazywriter Mon 09-May-16 15:22:30

Thanks for posting this. Well be flying in July to canada. Now I'm wondering (I'd have checked with the airport but thought I'd check here now) if baby food can be taken. The ones in jars? Well have one starting to ween.

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 15:24:45

BarbaraofSeville Ha! I am of exactly the same mindset tbh!!!

Crazywriter We took our DS last year through T1. We took jars. They scanned them and put them in a machine but were fine to take through. You can pre-order food through Boots website and collect airside if that helps?

TheDropBear Mon 09-May-16 15:27:24

Solid foods you're fine to take, just make sure you get rid of them before customs on the other side of need be.

Crisps are fun to take on planes because the packet inflates (I might be easily amused blush )

cjt110 Mon 09-May-16 15:29:08

TheDropBear Us too smile or those little cartons of milk grin

And the wine always gets your drunkererer.... wine

BarbaraofSeville Mon 09-May-16 15:35:25

Dropbear Have you seen that if you take a plastic water bottle on a plane and drink the water while you are in the air and replace the lid, the bottle is then filled with plane (lower pressure) air so when you land the bottle gets all crushed due to higher air pressure at ground level. grin

bornwithaplasticspoon Mon 09-May-16 16:04:41

We always take a massive bag of food. Those little brioche rolls are good and little packs of crackers and cheese and fruit. Last time we flew I didn't realise I had a carton of apple juice in my bag so had my bag searched. The security guard scanned it in a magic machine and handed it back to me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now