Talk

Advanced search

To think this teacher can teach the children without shouting all the time?

(10 Posts)
Hopeisallihavenow Sun 08-May-16 18:16:23

DD is in year 2. Her usual teacher has gone on long term sick leave. Replacement teacher, who is not new to the school and taught my DD in year 1, is very shouty. My DD is very sensitive and doesn't respond very well to being shouted at. This teachers shouts at the children for even minor things like accidentally dropping something during a lesson. My DD is almost petrified of her and I think that is bound to hinder learning at a certain level. Unfortunately the year 3 teacher is also known as a shouter. The teacher that left had a very kind but firm approach. Am beginning to think maybe the school is not a good fit for DD. I have a younger child there and he loves his teacher and the school. Am conflicted. DD has asked if she could change schools. I will be speaking to the head this week to see if she has any ideas how my DD can feel less anxious in this shouty teacher's class. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Osolea Sun 08-May-16 18:31:37

I have experience of parents thinking their child's teacher is shouty when they are really not, because the child has taken the one or two times the teacher has justifiably raised their voice to heart too much.

What is it that makes you think the teacher is shouting 'all the time'?

smokeybandit Sun 08-May-16 18:32:34

I don't personally think teachers should be generally shouty-especially not at year 2's, but have you spoken to any other parents, are they having the same experience? Have you tried head of that key stage? I would maybe try that first before the head as they will (I would have thought) have more direct contact/knowledge of that teacher and their teaching style.

Beeziekn33ze Sun 08-May-16 18:36:54

See what the head says. Presumably it's a school with only one class per year so no choice of classes. Was your DD upset by Ms Shouty in Y1?
Hope you and the head can support DD, good luck.

Hopeisallihavenow Sun 08-May-16 19:03:23

Yes, she complained a lot about the shouting in year 1. She was very happy to leave year 1. It's know in the school that she is shouty. All parents are aware. It's talked about a lot among the parents. Other children who are more confident/resilient can tolerate her but I know there are some that struggle. It's a small prep school so we go straight to the head for any problems.

It was raised in year 1 by a group of parents but wasn't taken too seriously. I didn't pursue it further because I thought DD was coping fine but I am having doubts now.

Hopeisallihavenow Sun 08-May-16 19:04:21

*known

ChalkHearts Sun 08-May-16 19:06:35

Some teachers do shout too much.

Find out if any other local schools have places. Then you know if moving is possible or not. Then you can decide if you want to or not.

It would be enough of a reason for me to move my DC.

shiveringhiccup Sun 08-May-16 19:09:09

Poor DD, I never see the need for shoutiness in teachers. In any other situation it wouldn't be ok for an adult to shout so much at a child, particularly not an adult in a position of authority and with their parents not present.

As pps have said, check the extent of it - talk to other parents, other staff. Not sure if you work but maybe you could be a parent helper/ reader so you can check it out for yourself.

Whether it's true or not, DD's experience of it is that teacher is shouty. So I think it's worth looking into other schools that might suit your DD better.

shiveringhiccup Sun 08-May-16 19:10:13

X post. In which case it might be worth having a word with head of KS or HT, and sounds like a good idea to at least check out the other schools and see what your options are.

Hopeisallihavenow Sun 08-May-16 19:32:59

Thank you for your responses. I like the school in general so I hope we can find some sort of solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now