Talk

Advanced search

Naked children in the park - who is right?

(498 Posts)
Oysterbabe Sun 08-May-16 17:24:07

We're currently enjoying the sun in the park with DD 4 months (who is enjoying it by being asleep in the shade) It is packed with families as you'd expect. In the group next to us there are two little girls, I'm going to guess about 4 and 5, who are having a lovely time running around and playing completely in the buff. I was saying to DH that I wouldn't let our DD run around naked at that age in such a public place. There could be any number of dodgy characters watching on and getting off on it. He thinks it's fine, that they're still young enough to get away with it. Also in the unlikely event there is a lurking paedo, they're completely oblivious and it's not going to hurt them at all, you can't live in fear.
Who's right? Am I being too Daily Mail paedo round every corner or is it correct to be cautious about such things?

RedHelenB Sun 08-May-16 17:25:03

YABU _ they are small children having fyn!

BertrandRussell Sun 08-May-16 17:25:52

He is right. HTH

Ginmakesitallok Sun 08-May-16 17:26:28

Yabu.

FeckinCrutches Sun 08-May-16 17:26:39

Daily Mail Paedo I'm afraid. Small children having fun.

SweetieDrops Sun 08-May-16 17:26:51

The only problem I can see is naked children = more squirmy flesh to have to suncream.

OurBlanche Sun 08-May-16 17:28:00

As Sweetie said, just the suncream to be bothered about, really.

Your DH is right.

Ginmakesitallok Sun 08-May-16 17:28:24

If there is a lurky paedo about they'll be just as interested in clothed children....

UmbongoUnchained Sun 08-May-16 17:28:39

I think myself and my brothers spent a good 3 years of our lives completely naked.

Wetbankhols Sun 08-May-16 17:29:00

I find it gross and rank and wish parents wouldn't do it, to be totally frank.

Sparklingbrook Sun 08-May-16 17:29:17

You are right. I wouldn't have let mine run around naked in the park either.

AverysillyoldHector Sun 08-May-16 17:29:42

Your H is right. I bet the children are having a fantastic time.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sun 08-May-16 17:30:38

Pffftt we have a massive outside paddling pool in our local park. A good proportion on the littlies were naked at some point, including my own five year old who decided to dry off by basking rather than a towel after his swim

Narp Sun 08-May-16 17:30:44

I also wouldn't let my children run around naked in the park.

Afreshstartplease Sun 08-May-16 17:31:08

Personally I just don't get the point in people doing it?

gunting Sun 08-May-16 17:32:01

I would usually have said your H is right... But a few years ago we were at a park and an old man on his own started taking pictures on his phone. It makes me feel sick about it and the police did get involved.

I'd let my DS run around in our back garden naked no problem but I'd think twice doing it in a park now.

Antanddec123 Sun 08-May-16 17:32:13

I'm with you on this.
I wouldn't have let my kids do this at that age or on the beach either.
Not because of paedos but from the perspective of protection of the child's dignity.

Janeymoo50 Sun 08-May-16 17:32:34

I think they'd have just as much fun with a pair of pants on.

Ameliablue Sun 08-May-16 17:32:57

I probably wouldn't allow my dd's to run about makes at that age but not because I believe there is anything wrong with it or there are likely to be paedos but more because people are more likely to judge these days, I wouldn't be bothered or judge others though.

coughingbean Sun 08-May-16 17:34:38

I dont like it and wont let mine do it. I am not sure why though!

CremeEggThief Sun 08-May-16 17:34:51

I agree, OP. I have never let DS (now 13) go naked in public. You don't know who's looking. Why expose your children to the risk?

Oxfordblue Sun 08-May-16 17:35:03

There's no need for kids to be naked in public though is there? Puts me off my picnic for a start confused, isn't the metal hot against their skin & how do they slide down slides? Save it for your backgarden, thanks.

Sparklingbrook Sun 08-May-16 17:35:55

You tell children that child that the parts of their body covered by underwear are private. Then you let them run around naked in a public place. Mixed messages there.

PotteringAlong Sun 08-May-16 17:37:31

What risk? What do you think will happen to them if you are supervising them in a public park?

neonrainbow Sun 08-May-16 17:37:46

I don't want to see genitalia of any age while I'm at the park enjoying my picnic. At the beach is fine because you expect to see people almost naked anyway but not at the park. Totally unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now