Talk

Advanced search

to create a study / utility room?

(12 Posts)
Twilightpirate Sat 07-May-16 21:48:45

OK so I know it sounds weird, but we are doing some remodelling of our house and the way its working out we might end up with a room that has washing machine, dryer, maybe even a sink on one side and on the other side a big desk with my computer for working from home. Is this totally mad?!

I really want a utility area so I can hide all the laundry and crap. But the space we could use (currently the kitchen which will move to overlook the back garden) has got a really nice view over the valley. I thought it would be nice to work looking at that...

I don't mind the noise of the washing machine etc. while I'm working but wondered if this is just a totally bonkers idea. So, AIBU?

mamalloyd Sat 07-May-16 21:51:46

No not all IMO it sounds more than reasonable - although try and imagine it when it's full of washing and what the space will be like smile

CremeEggThief Sat 07-May-16 21:54:37

YANBU. I have my tumble dryer, laundry basket and airer upstairs in the same room as a computer, desk and chair, so I call it the study/laundry room. This is the 3rd house I've has this arrangement in.

Twilightpirate Sat 07-May-16 21:59:22

I know mama - that might drive me crazy! I won't get any work done but my laundry pile might finally diminish to something smaller than current mount everest proportions.

Creme good to know I'm not the only one. We had our airer in our spare room / study in previous house. I guess this will be more of a proper utility room but also with a desk! grin

crumpet Sat 07-May-16 22:06:44

You could hide the utility part behind some floor to ceiling cupboards. Did this in a previous house. One wall was divided up into 2 big cupboards. Had a kitchen sink/ drainer, with washing machine under in one half and coats/storage cupboard in the other half.

RosieSW Sat 07-May-16 22:09:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twilightpirate Sat 07-May-16 22:15:51

Ooh yes, I like the idea of big cupboards! I had thought of putting the washing machine and dryer behind cupboards but not the sink or perhaps work surfaces! That's definitely worth investigating. Then I could just have a uniform wall of lovely and neat cupboards and behind them would be lurking all the machines laundry and mess! hahahahahahaha.

Rosie good point about the spin cycle! I do have to be on conference calls every now and then so I would have to time it (and get a quiet machine).

RTKangaMummy Sat 07-May-16 22:43:19

We are getting the sliding floor to ceiling cupboard doors to hide the washing machine & tumble drier which will have a counter top (like in a kitchen) over the top of them and then shelves above them in the utility room

This room also has my DH desk and filing cabinet etc in it and hopefully it will work out ok, it does in my imagination (we have built an extension and are waiting for it to be painted before my plans come to RL)

Make sure you have lots and lots of power sockets put into your room

So think your idea sounds fab smilesmile

Coatandhat Sat 07-May-16 22:50:56

When we remodelled our downstairs I really wanted to have a utility room but it didn't work out. So now we have a utility cupboard in the understairs space (which is in the kitchen/diner) housing a washing machine and a tower of baskets for the washing and ironing, worktop, ironing board etc. Sloping doors (picture the line of the stairs) hide it all and I love it!

RosieSW Sun 08-May-16 00:51:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Sun 08-May-16 08:57:18

When we had our extension built the building control regulations now insist on an extractor fan in utility area so ours has it built over the top of the tumble drier & washing machine end of the cupboard (that isn't fitted yet) also the tumble drier has an outside vent thingy

Twilightpirate Sun 08-May-16 20:48:22

Wow, some great advice here and I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have this idea! DH thinks it is ludicrous! grin

RTKanga do you have a link to the sliding door things you are getting? Need to get some pics together to show DH how it could work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now