Talk

Advanced search

Calling troll

(62 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:10:41

I see from MNHQ that its "never okay to call troll" from another thread this morning What does that mean? If a thread is plainly total bunkem, are we best to ignore rather than call it?

Eeeek- I did not know that.

RuggerHug Sat 07-May-16 11:15:28

I want to know what happened with that one too. I was up to the Dads response and stupidly went to sleep. Was it made up or wtf?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 07-May-16 11:17:18

One is supposed to quietly report to HQ using the report function, and then close the thread and move on to the next made up bollox.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 11:17:27

Report and hide the thread. To 'call' it on the thread is considered Trollhunting which is against Talk Guidelines as much as trolling is.

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:21:24

RuggerHug...it appears to be total toot.

Thank you kind advisors, I appreciate the tips on etiquette. Ooopsie.

omri Sat 07-May-16 11:22:09

I'm just happy because it's the first time I've spotted a troll! As soon as I started reading it all sounded unbelievable. I still replied to it though as it was thoroughly entertaining and I doubted myself because I thought some other posters would have called it by now if it was all fake...

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:24:04

I hear ya Omri, I hear ya

Blingygolightly Sat 07-May-16 11:27:07

Gah. I am such a tool.blush I fell for it all! Despite in retrospect it having all the classic hallmarks of a troll! At least it was an entertaining troll.grin The naive fools like me actually appreciate the kind souls who come along and point out the obvious!

BillBrysonsBeard Sat 07-May-16 11:39:56

I felt the same Omri, thought it was total rubbish but no-one was doubting it... Except there were loads of us doubting quietly! Her friends reaction right at the beginning seemed unbelieveable. They always descend into more and more ridiculous lies though, like the OP wants to be found out now that they've had the thrill. But yeah I need to start using the report function too..

omri Sat 07-May-16 11:47:59

So if I reported it quietly when I had my initial doubts, what would happen? MNHQ would investigate and pull if they were convinced it was all false?

Fairenuff Sat 07-May-16 11:48:39

I think that, when a thread is reported, there ought to be an automatic post on the thread 'This thread has been reported to MNHQ'.

This would alert other posters to the fact that it might be a troll and also, hopefully, get HQ to look at it much quicker than they normally do.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 07-May-16 11:48:48

Trolls thrive on attention. If dozens of people descend on their thread and argue with them, or even just post saying 'Reported' or 'This didn't happen', it's all attention. Standard advice is therefore 'Report and don't post'. Easier said than done, admittedly, at times.

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:50:10

I think so, I thought it was okay to say " what a crock of....." but I know know, its SO not.

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:50:25

know now

Haudyerwheesht Sat 07-May-16 11:51:34

What did I miss??

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:51:38

Like it Fairenuff. Like it

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 07-May-16 11:53:15

Which one was it? One of the wedding ones I'm assuming.

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:56:36

Ya.....the bridesmaid with the ill DD

See, now I'm worried this is a thread about a thread! I'm such a rule follower!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 07-May-16 11:58:42

I followed that but didn't post. It just seemed the OP was either a troll, or a total wet fish who was being unbelievably pathetic, I couldn't be bothered either way it was grin

HeilandMoo Sat 07-May-16 11:59:33

That"s the way to do it though, totally!

derxa Sat 07-May-16 12:01:09

a total wet fish who was being unbelievably pathetic Yes they are more annoying than trolls who at least have the gumption to make something up grin

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 07-May-16 12:04:52

Just report it hmm

AerithEarthling Sat 07-May-16 12:06:15

Because 9/10 troll hunters are incorrect and troll hunting is trolling.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 12:09:10

I think troll hunters are very often correct but troll hunting isn't allowed.

That said I think hunting is the wrong word because you don't have to hunt much.grin

AerithEarthling Sat 07-May-16 12:10:46

God if it was a bridesmaid thread maybe it was correct either way they are the most boring threads on here i never go on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now