Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to request reduced working hours ?

(9 Posts)
Cocknose Sat 07-May-16 10:17:52

I made a request for reduced working hours under the equality act 2010. I have diabetes / kidney disease plus high stress levels as also have a disabled son. I fully detailed my reasons for making such a request and have a meeting with my manager to discuss. My manager "suggested" as this meeting that I may be better off not working and claim benefits WTF ? And queried was it worth my while working for X amount per week. I had a follow up meeting yesterday and he told me that my job share was not wanting to do an extra day (fully understandable) and then laid it on thick that they would have to recruit someone and that this could take months and months and then asked if I had a a chance to have a think about what he suggested (ie resign) I am now in a position that I feel pressurised to either withdraw my request or resign. Unfortunately I don't have any of this in writing. After first meeting I asked if he would give me a written summary of our conversation but the part where he suggested resigning was omitted. I am beginning to feel really selfish making such a request to reduce hours - aibu to have asked my employer to consider such a request ?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 07-May-16 10:22:55

No, you're not unreasonable to ask. It sounds like your employer is following the process but giving you a heads up that they are likely to reject the request. They can do so for a number of reasons, including the burden of additional costs, a detrimental affect on the ability to meet customer demand, an inability to reschedule work amongst existing employees, an inability to recruit further employees, a detrimental effect on quality or performance, insufficient work at the proposed working hours or planned structural changes. It sounds like your boss will go for a combo of the first few.

You can raise a grievance if it's rejected and if that still doesn't work, you can take it to ACAS, so you could start planning your next steps now.

If they wont adjust your hours, will you stay? Or do you need them changed? If the latter, it might be worth looking into what the precedent is in your company too.

araiba Sat 07-May-16 10:40:18

you want to cut the hours for a job you already jobshare? if the other person doesnt want to up their hours, i dont see how the business will allow it really

yanbu to ask, but yabu to expect them to say yes

MummyBex1985 Sat 07-May-16 11:28:22

It's your right to request a flexible working pattern so no, YANBU at all.

Sadly though, they don't have to agree to it.

ilovesooty Sat 07-May-16 11:34:06

Everyone now has the right to request flexible working. However it sounds as though your employer's will cite business reasons for refusing, which they have the right to do.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 07-May-16 11:57:04

I think you should get this moved to the employment section for advice. Don't resign. I think if your application is supported by the equality act then your employer may be in difficulty refusing your request & in suggesting you resign they are avoiding the anticipated hassle of granting your request. I've no idea of the legalities so try the employment section - there is an HR/employment expert called flowery who is really good on the legalities etc.

Good luck.

RainbowSpiral Sat 07-May-16 11:59:57

how low hours are you asking for?

good luck with it all. I worked 15 hours a week for many years, but it worked in that role well as my boss was also semi-retired.

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Sat 07-May-16 13:42:08

How low are you reducing your hours to?

Yanbu to ask but theyanbu to refuse for business reasons

Cocknose Sun 08-May-16 09:44:18

Thank you for all your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now