...to expect a refund for these shoes?

(49 Posts)
cinnamongirl1976 Fri 06-May-16 22:38:31

I bought a pair of Clarks Doodles for my daughter today. She loves them. She had a pair of Doodles last year, no problems at all. She is a G/H width, however, and Doodles only go up to F. I did mention this to the shop assistant but she said it would be okay.

Anyway, because she has had Doodles before, I thought nothing of her wearing them outside that day. After half a day's wear she had red marks and broken skin (a blister) on her feet.

Would IBU to take these shoes back and ask for a refund? I don't want an exchange, as this particular shop only does a limited range.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 06-May-16 22:40:00

but she has worn them....all day,outside!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 06-May-16 22:41:03

Did you get Mrs sure and fitted? With a card?
If yes, then refund.
If no, up to the store...

BiftasWifta Fri 06-May-16 22:42:25

You bought them knowing the width was too small and you want to return them because they've blistered her feet? She wore too-small shoes all day on one of the warmest days of the year - of course you can't take them back!

Squiff85 Fri 06-May-16 22:42:41

Definitely return them! I would be amazed if Clarks didn't refit/exchange/offer refund. I hear this loads about Clarks at the moment.

GraysAnalogy Fri 06-May-16 22:43:22

Seriously? hmm

You have no grounds for a refund, them giving your DD blisters (having worn new shoes on a hot day) is not a fault with the product or them being mis-sold. You perhaps would get an exchange or credit if they felt generous. They have no obligation to give you a refund.

I can't believe you as an adult would see this as grounds for a refund. Haven't you ever had a pair of good shoes that still rubbed when new?

Squiff85 Fri 06-May-16 22:43:30

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp - I don't get what wearing them all day, outside has anything to do with them making her feet sore/blister?!

321zerobaby Fri 06-May-16 22:43:59

Did she have socks on?

GraysAnalogy Fri 06-May-16 22:45:15

Actually no I'm completely wrong and misread your OP like a complete tosser. I apologise, I've read back. flowers

TooOldForGlitter Fri 06-May-16 22:45:18

I'd go back and just have a chat with the assistant. If you were assured they'd be ok, and you not being a shoe fitting expert took that as verbatim, then I can't see how you'd be unreasonable.

Ceilinglight Fri 06-May-16 22:45:49

Yes ask for a refund if they were fitted. Clarks offered me a refund when this happened to my DD. She was measured as a size F and we bought size F shoes. In the shop I said they looked narrow and the assistant said it'd be fine. It wasn't.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 06-May-16 22:45:55

I would take them back and complain if they had been fitted.
As an aside several doodle styles do go wider then an f width.

idontlikealdi Fri 06-May-16 22:46:54

They'll probably have blistered because she's been in shoes for winter, same as me when I bust out the havianas - every year - agony for a week.

nancy75 Fri 06-May-16 22:47:13

Did they fit them or did you just buy them? If they did a fitting I think you probably should be able to take them back, if they didn't fit them then I don't think you should

bluecarrot Fri 06-May-16 22:48:22

My dd has doodles in an H fitting...

If you think your dd wasn't fitted properly then I would ask for her to be refitted properly, and exchange for correct size.

ChrissieLatham Fri 06-May-16 22:48:44

Clarks are quite good with refunds.
However, I thought blisters/sore spots happened to everyone who wears new sandals with no socks. A bit of Vaseline on the foot and shoe normally prevents it.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 06-May-16 22:48:47

I've no idea why I used the word 'verbatim'. I want to ask myself if I'm on glue. I'm not, but apparently half a bottle of white zinfandel leads to the use of words that you only just know the meaning of.....carry on...

dementedpixie Fri 06-May-16 22:48:52

I took school shoes back that badly blistered dd's heels and they were exchanged for a different style that didn't cause pain.

nancy75 Fri 06-May-16 22:51:03

From the op I think the shoes might be Clarks but bought in an independent shop? In which case it's difficult to say what the shop will do

MiddleClassProblem Fri 06-May-16 22:52:59

Wait, her doodles before were an F too?

I always get a run with new shoes on my Achilles' tendon so would never wear or put DD in new shoes for a long period of time for the first few goes. That's more advice than saying you're in the wrong though.

Witchinghours Fri 06-May-16 22:53:37

I think you should take them back and tell the shop the issue. If the shop advised you that an F fitting would be fine and it's not, then you should raise it with them.

cinnamongirl1976 Fri 06-May-16 22:54:59

Whoa, some harsh replies there. Why the sarcasm?

In response to this (and others who said the same):

[b]You bought them knowing the width was too small and you want to return them because they've blistered her feet?[/b]

I did not know the width was 'too small'. I queried the F width repeatedly, and was assured it didn't matter because of Velcro straps. I'm not a shoe expert - in fact, this is the second pair of children's sandals I have ever bought - so, rightly or wrongly, I trust the 'experts'. And given the marks on my daughter's feet and the fact that I can only see a footprint of 4 toes on the inside of the shoe (when there should be 5), I feel a bit like I have been mis-sold, especially as I queried the width more than once and even said "so these definitely won't hurt her feet?" as I handed over my card.

cinnamongirl1976 Fri 06-May-16 22:57:59

(But thank you to those who responded helpfully).

DD is 3, was a late walker and has slow-growing feet. She is on her 3rd pair of main shoes so I don't have a lot of experience here!

GraysAnalogy Fri 06-May-16 22:58:04

It sounds like they were mis-sold. Perhaps it might have happened regardless because new shoes can hurt and cause blisters sometimes especially with warmer weather and wearing them at length but I'm sure not fitting well would contribute to that

GraysAnalogy Fri 06-May-16 22:58:35

Her being 3 should have been included in the OP, it would have differed peoples replies I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now