Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you found really useful and what was complete shit when you had a baby?

(75 Posts)
lunalunalooney Fri 06-May-16 19:11:32

Trying to think of a baby shower present for best friend.

Dont want to buy the usual clothes/nappy cakes etc as everyone buys them and want to spend a bit more as she is my best friend.

So- what useful things did you all get for baby? Any baby books worth reading?

Runningbutnotscared Fri 06-May-16 19:15:54

What's your AIBU?

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 06-May-16 19:21:49

My most useful purchase was the perfect prep machine. It is expensive but its a total luxury item and I have found it to be just really useful. Some cheaper other options? Perhaps some mocc-ons leather booties? I had a pair of rainbow stripe ones and both my ds have worn them, literally every day for the first 6 months. The book 'the wonder weeks' is also a nice read. Or a nice baby journal? (Flick through it first though, some of them aren't laid out very well, such as having half a page for certain events and then no space for the important 'firsts' )

didireallysaythat Fri 06-May-16 19:21:54

When you give birth you can feel like you lose your identity. Everyone wants to see the baby. I think a present for your friend with absolutely no baby association at all would be good - perhaps along with a babygro to stick with tradition.

toffeeboffin Fri 06-May-16 19:26:11

Don't buy a book, she won't have time.

Homemade food is always welcome.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 06-May-16 19:27:04

What's your AIBU?

Read the title of the thread?

wheresthel1ght Fri 06-May-16 19:29:05

The best present I got given when dd was born was a homemade book of iou vouchers from my best friends.

Silly things like "iou time for long luxurious bubble bath" and "iou 1 hours worth of ironing" there were other more personal ones that would put me but the 2 of them had clearly thought long and hard about them and they made me sob!

napmeistergeneral Fri 06-May-16 19:36:25

A really nice maternity/nursing bra - a lot of them are a bit plain and frumpy. Although there is the issue of not knowing boob size after birth (and of course she might not breastfeed but just for the sake of argument assuming that she does ) so...a voucher for a shop that sells lovely nursing bras?

arghhythu Fri 06-May-16 19:42:47

Some really nice, comfy pyjamas for your friend and sleepsuits for her dc to stick with the theme! Oh, and a pack of muslin cloths.

Next do great sleep suits with built in scratchmits.

readingrainbow Fri 06-May-16 19:43:58

I like to do a hamper of lovely snacks and treats that are on the posher side - the types of things that would only be bought for a special occasion. Things that don't need refrigeration, and can be kept to hand easily. Etc.

I also like to give baby slings, but that is tricky because they might not be interested or find that type doesn't suit them. But slings really are fabulous for newborns.

NapQueen Fri 06-May-16 19:44:36

Nice dressing gown ir pjs for her

Lovely pram blanket for baby (blanket addict here!)

Showgirl38 Fri 06-May-16 19:46:16

Angelcare bath seat. It was fab.

Silentelf Fri 06-May-16 19:50:46

My faves were playmat (it was a mamas and papas octopus one that bar can come off - kids still use it as a tv watching cushion now), bouncy chair- both used loads and pjs for me as well as lovely surprise ova do delivery of a few meals and treats day after DC1 was born.

Silentelf Fri 06-May-16 19:51:03

Ocado

teafortoads Fri 06-May-16 19:53:19

Cashmere baby blankets. Infact cashmere baby anything. Jumperoo. Connecta baby sling. All well worth the money. Toys which are 'interactive' or 'educational' ugh. All charity shop bound.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 06-May-16 19:55:32

The perfect prep machine is currently on offer (about £60) in smyths toys

ReturnoftheWhack Fri 06-May-16 19:55:52

I bought my best friend a six month Tesco anytime delivery pass and a voucher for her hairdresser to get her hair cut and coloured while on maternity leave.

aliceinwanderland Fri 06-May-16 19:57:07

musical over cot mobile. DD1 loved hers.
a toy which makes a boiing noise when it lands
bibs.
tights - if girl.
stretchy thick cardigan, good for all weathers except snow
frilly sun hat
scratch mittens
pram parasol
bouncy chair
Would have liked one of those baby nest things but never had one.
hand knitted blankets. can be used for ages

Lndnmummy Fri 06-May-16 19:57:22

Anais Anais muslins, they were amazing. Also some nice pamer products for her. My best friend bought me Liz Earle cleanse and Polish and some face oil. It was amazing.

Another friend bought me a really fancy by Terry tinted lipbalm. I really treasures those un baby gifts and they made me look half put together when the HV poped around.

aliceinwanderland Fri 06-May-16 19:58:02

but I sent one of my best friends a bottle of gin when she had her first!

FlyingElbows Fri 06-May-16 19:59:17

Square terry nappies or muslins to keep over your shoulder. Can't have enough of them.

EponasWildDaughter Fri 06-May-16 19:59:21

Bamboo muslin cloths. SOOOOOOOOOOO ridiculously soft, and get softer and softer every wash.

Good quality V pillow for sitting up in bed with baby.

Want2bSupermum Fri 06-May-16 20:00:11

Amazon prime.

bump6 Fri 06-May-16 20:02:54

How about a few of you joining in together to buy a photo shoot for when baby arrives.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 06-May-16 20:05:21

Little cotton squares that had colour coded thread. Instead of baby wipes. So useful and better for skin.

Anais and Aden used to do little muslin squares with silky edges which had the magical power to put my child to sleep. Three in a pack. DD at 5 yo still sleeps with one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now