Talk

Advanced search

To think summer is a miserable time for fat people?

(391 Posts)
HackerFucker22 Fri 06-May-16 14:31:17

Caveat by saying immediately I am a good 2st (actually closer to 3st!!) overweight so this isn't a fat bashing thread.

First few proper sunny days and I am frantically trying to find weather appropriate clothes that don't make me look like a whale.

I am hot and sweaty

I am stressed as I have 3 weddings need 2 outfits and I can't find a damn thing.

I went out to buy some new tops today and came back with baggy, shapeless t-shirts.

I am dreading the next few months.

SmallBee Fri 06-May-16 14:34:48

I am due in August with DC2.
I am going to be enormous.
I am already uncomfortable! There is sweaty patches in places I wasn't aware were sweat hot spots! I'm staying indoors. Forever.

Fourfifthsof Fri 06-May-16 14:36:33

I hear you - I am still carting around 2 stones of baby weight and am also struggling to find anything that doesn't make me look like I should be hovering in the sky above a sporting event, advertising something. wink

I am about to Google maxi dresses.

Hope you find something - I am sure you will. smile

sonlypuppyfat Fri 06-May-16 14:38:24

Don't get me started, thyroid issues, hot flushes and over weight. My heart sinks when I see a sunny sky

DixieNormas Fri 06-May-16 14:39:07

I went with a nice maxi dress for a wedding last year, my and my friend always say this year we will lose the weight before summer. It never happens

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Fri 06-May-16 14:41:23

It's my thighs. Fat or thin(er) they rub.

I like dresses (they hide my thighs). Hate the rub.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 14:42:14

I feel it more since putting on weight before my thyroid issue was diagnosed. But I feel it more at night - not sure if it's the chub or my age. But maxi dresses on chubby/fat women really do look bad, and are such a cliche, and in some quarters, a joke.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Fri 06-May-16 14:43:13

Yanbu

I'm obese and it's horrible to worry about being hot and sweaty on top of being fat sad

I don't need people telling me to just lose weight then, life isn't that simple.

georgiatraher Fri 06-May-16 14:45:52

Dressing for the heat is a pain and basically impossible, but to make myself more comfortable if I absolutely have to leave my shady house is: keep a waterbottle in the freezer and take it everywhere as a hand cooler as well as refreshing. Sometimes two bottles if Its a long day.

BUY A FAN, best thing ever for the tube (although accept that moving anywhere will be hell)

I always carry an umbrella or have a hat to keep the sun off me.

Although none of this makes you LOOK that good it can help with feeling near to normal.

Then I think of all the weight I'm losing just by sweating it off. :P

HostaFireandIce Fri 06-May-16 14:48:58

Naicevillageofthedamned I'm the same - fat or thin, my thighs rub. Deodorant on the offending area helps a lot!

Fourfifthsof Fri 06-May-16 14:49:58

Thanks for the fashion advice tigger but I actually look quite splendid in a maxi dress...

I am not sure I would want to hang around in "quarters" that make jokes about other people's clothing, having left school in the 90s but I will bow to your superior knowledge on the subject.

Wetbankhols Fri 06-May-16 14:50:02

YANBU.

I have no clothes. None!

Fourfifthsof Fri 06-May-16 14:51:25

And anyone who if suffering from chaffey thighs, cycling type shorts underneath your frock. smile

Heyjude16 Fri 06-May-16 14:51:46

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and obese..

I'm sweating and uncomfortable. Iv had three showers and changed my pants three times already today 😒

CrazyDuchess Fri 06-May-16 14:52:40

It's the sweating.... the constant moistness of face sad

Every year I say this is the last summer I am going to be fat sad now I am bigger than I have ever been sad

Kill me now

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 14:53:10

It's a shame I've hit a nerve there, Fourfifths. It's not in 'quarters', it's quite widespread.
I'm sure you do find yourself splendid in a maxi dress, though.

DancingHippo Fri 06-May-16 14:53:41

You know I swore this time last year and the year before that I would never spend another summer sweltering in a cardigan to hide my flabby arms or wearing long trousers to hide my fat swollen ankles.

Shit - failed again!

Buzzardbird Fri 06-May-16 14:53:54

There are loose fitting culottes and wide legged jumpsuits available. No more rub and nice and cool. Roll on deodorant is supposed to be preventative against the rub, or there is lanacane anti-chaffing gel, which also makes a good primer for face.

NeedACleverNN Fri 06-May-16 14:54:06

Not just fat people..

I'm very slim but I suffer dreadfully with heat. I can never get comfortable and then end up feeling sick and dizzy. I am always sat in the shade

Wetbankhols Fri 06-May-16 14:55:21

I don't even get that sweaty, I just can't hide underneath massive cardigans and jumpers!

Fourfifthsof Fri 06-May-16 14:56:14

You haven't hit a nerve for me - I was more sticking up for the OP who was obviously feeling a bit down and looking for a bit of solidarity before you came along with your big goady boots...

I see you have gone from claiming it is quarters to being widespread in one comment too... Are you going to get your gang on me next? wink

CrazyDuchess Fri 06-May-16 14:57:49

True not just fat people..... I have very dark black skin that just absorbs the heat, my skin can feel like it could cook an egg in under 5 mins of direct sunshine.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 15:01:23

No, my gang would probably feed you tea and cake which in this context could be seen as taking the piss, though it's part of the reason why I love them.
It wasn't meant as goad and I'm sorry I was a bag in my second post, but it's a fact that it is a cliche. And personally I've never seen a bigger woman look good in a maxi dress. If you're out and about you can see the looks following them sometimes. I'd hate to be a joke like that and I wouldn't like it for anyone else.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 15:04:03

That is true about black skin, Crazy, but are you lucky enough like my friend and her family to have black skin that just never ages? She's six weeks (exactly) younger than me and has been mistaken for my oldest sons girlfriend grin

Buzzardbird Fri 06-May-16 15:05:01

I've never seen anyone be so rude. I have seen larger women look lovely in a well fitted maxi, obviously an ill-fitted one would look dreadful on any size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now