Talk

Advanced search

To ask has anyone had thyroid nodules? AIBU to be worried?? help :(

(30 Posts)
EatinAintCheatin Fri 06-May-16 10:07:41

firstly hope its ok to post in aibu, I did post in health but didn't really get many replies so posting here for traffic. i have terrible anxiety and i am so scared

i was first diagnosed with them 11 years ago. I had a scan and biopsy and was told they were benign.

but then 2 years ago (after my youngest dc) was born I noticed my thyroid was slightly swollen again. so had a scan and a biopsy (because I have such bad anxiety particularly with health) for which I paid privately so I could have the results quicker. to my relief I was told yeah i still had nodules but they were benign. and also had blood tests which showed normal thyroid function. as it was private I didn't get any follow up appointments at all and wasn't advised to go back to own gp for follow ups or anything.

but I noticed that it is still swollen so i have been to my own gp and been referred to endocrinology. still waiting for my appointment! and my anxiety is really bad.....i made myself ill through it last time. basically i am scared of the C word. even though my GP said its unlikely that benign nodules develop into anything nasty and also my thyroid gland is quite even (which is apparently a good sign) my anxiety is just making me think all sorts.

i also had a blood test which came back normal. i am also quite self conscious as from some angles i think my neck looks slightly swollen and - assuming the nodules are still not anything worrying - i am not sure if they will do anything to get rid of them. but then on the other hand i have female relatives that have had the same and 2 of them have had part of their thyroid removed. i think it runs in the family. but seeing as my thyroid function is normal not sure if they would remove, or if there is any medication i can take to shrink them?! i don't want to google!

anyway i guess just hoping for some positive stories ideally! sad

ScrotesOnFire Fri 06-May-16 10:34:20

My mum had these and a goitre.
They suspected cancer but it all came back fine.
That was many years ago, she has nodules but is alive and well.

Stratter5 Fri 06-May-16 11:59:31

DD1 has this, hers is simply a fluid filled cyst that needs aspirating every now and then. Other than that, it doesn't affect her at all.

Kbear Fri 06-May-16 12:02:44

I had benign multi nodular goitre 12 years ago - mine was growing so had removed it half of thyroid - no further problems.

Sounds like you have had plenty of checks on it but always go back to GP if you think it's getting bigger and have it checked again.

Try not to worry, it's very common and if you get checked again it will put your mind at rest.

BatFacedGrrl Fri 06-May-16 12:12:42

The nodules are not your problem. You've been told that they're nothing to concern yourself about

The issue here is your health anxiety so you need to see a doctor about getting that under control

EatinAintCheatin Fri 06-May-16 13:26:44

Thanks everyone

And kbear I think mines slightly grown gradually over the years so that's reassuring to know that they remove them if that's the case. I'm not scared of an op I'm scared of looking horrible with a sticky out neck if they keep growing blush . My friend had hers removed and you can't even see the scar now.

To the first poster who replied ...glad your mums ok (sorry posting on my phone and can't remember your name)

And to the poster (again can't remember your name!) who said about my health anxiety. I'm on medication for anxiety and depression already...have spoken to my gp about it but his only suggestion was to up my dosage. and tbh I don't want to as when I've tried that before it doesn't help and I also feel like a zombie sad

EatinAintCheatin Sat 07-May-16 14:04:26

Just Bumping x

Rainatnight Sat 07-May-16 16:03:38

My mum had exactly the same thing. Completely benign. The nodules do keep growing, I think, but it's not a sign that it's turning cancerous. If you're this worried about it, can you have a talk to the doctors about the realistic chances of it turning cancerous, to put your mind at ease?

Mandatorymongoose Sat 07-May-16 17:02:18

I have this.

It's fine, I do have noticeable swelling around my thyroid and I was offered surgery to remove it but it would have been purely cosmetic (currently, if it continues to grow then at some point it could put pressure on my trachea and then obviously removing it would relieve that). Removal means being on levothyroxine for the rest of my life though and on the whole I'd rather have a lumpy neck than mess about balancing hormones.

I was told that growth is not unexpected and more than likely doesn't mean anything has changed.

EatinAintCheatin Sun 08-May-16 10:05:35

Rain I did speak to my doctor and he said it was very unlikely that existing benign nodules can turn nasty. so I'm trying to hang on to that but the "anxiety" side of me just keeps thinking the worst

But realistically if I've had them 11 years (or possibly longer, it was just 11 years ago they were first found) and they've not turned into anything bad then hopefully that is a good sign

I wish my appointment would hurry up though it's been weeks!

EatinAintCheatin Sun 08-May-16 10:07:24

That's good to hear then mandatorymongoose . How long have you had yours?

EatinAintCheatin Mon 09-May-16 09:31:42

just bumping again to see if anyone else has any positive stories

feeling really anxious today and the post has come but i have still not got my referral letter. I think I will feel a bit better when that comes because I will be able to talk through my worries with an actual endocrinologist. I don't know whether to go back to the gp re how anxious i am getting but feel silly and like I am wasting their time

IdentityRequest1 Mon 09-May-16 09:36:49

I have this too. It developed post pregnancy. I've just had scans as the aspiration samples were blood-filled so they couldn't tell if the cells were normal. I just have to keep an eye on it... So not the most reassuring story, but my dr was keen to impress just how common this is.

EatinAintCheatin Mon 09-May-16 13:08:05

Thanks identifyrequest for your post. yes have heard it's common they can develop or get worse in pregnancy. so will you have to go back for another one then at some point? hope all is ok ...I'm sure will be!

EatinAintCheatin Fri 13-May-16 09:00:53

just a quick bump again, to see if anyone is reading who has any advice / experiences to share. sorry to keep posting on my own thread blush but I am just so anxious. just keep going up and down. its making me feel ill, I'm not myself at all and have lost my appetite sad

and still haven't got my endocrinologist appt yet sad

BatFacedGrrl Sat 14-May-16 12:45:12

What do you want people to say? You're suffering from HA and it's part of the condition to keep asking for reassurance. Unfortunately it won't help for very long.

The nodules are nothing. Deep down you know this. See your doctor for an adjustment in your anxiety mess because it would be unwise for posters to regale you with thyroid type tales

EatinAintCheatin Sun 15-May-16 10:02:12

batfacedgirl*

I know I do but reading other people's experiences does help. I really don't want to bug / annoy people though so I'm sorry if I have blush

You're quite right re my health anxiety though. I hate having health anxiety / anxiety in general ...have tried to speak to my gp about it but just don't get taken seriously. Their only suggestion is to increase my sertraline dose or try different meds and I don't want to do that. As sertraline already makes me feel pretty shit and I don't want to feel any worse and be basically sort of, sedated all the time.

Sounds weird but I think it started when I had children. Basically I just love my life and I'm scared of anything that could change it for the worse if that makes sense sad

BatFacedGrrl Sun 15-May-16 11:07:53

Yes it makes sense and I'm a fellow sufferer although I manage it without any meds or anything. It's bloody annoying and a total irritant so I just try and distract myself .. Baths and good books help!

AliciaMayEmory Sun 15-May-16 11:14:30

OP, what other meds have you tried for the HA? I have been on a couple of different meds and none of them made me feel like a zombie or drugged up, so may be a different one to see sertraline could be the answer. Don't be afraid to try different types of medication as the right one will give you your life back. I know it did for me.

EatinAintCheatin Sun 15-May-16 16:36:43

batfacedgirl yes to good books and baths! They Are a great distraction. Preferably at the same time haha

EatinAintCheatin Sun 15-May-16 16:39:05

And alicia I've tried Prozac, citalopram (absolutely awful, couldn't sleep yet completely tired all the time. Also made sex shit as was hard to get remotely turned on, it's like a switch was turned off) I seem to think Prozac was similar

Ideally I don't want to be drugged up all the time to cope with the realities of life, but can't see any alternatives sad

EatinAintCheatin Sun 15-May-16 16:40:17

Oh and also to Alicia, what meds worked for you if you don't mind me asking

Basically I want something with no side effects that makes me feel normal and not anxious all the time, probably a pretty big ask grin

EatinAintCheatin Thu 19-May-16 16:49:52

Made an appointment today with the gp re my anxiety/health anxiety as it's absolutely through the roof sad

Doesn't help that my referral to endocrinology has been "lost" so they've had to send another one so god knows how much longer I'll have to wait

suno1 Thu 19-May-16 18:09:59

I've had this problem, fluid filled cysts on my thyroid. I had my thyroid removed as the lumps were pressing on my neck and I sometimes struggled to swallow food.
I am now on Thyroxine daily, as well as calcium supplements, as my parathyroid glands were damaged during the operation.
Stop worrying, you will be fine whichever route you take. This has not adversely affected me in any way and the scar is near on invisible. Have some trust in your doctors and the other posters on here.
On the up side, all your prescriptions are free if you take thyroxine

EatinAintCheatin Fri 20-May-16 09:06:29

Thanks suno

I'm glad to hear your fine now. Tbh he thought of an op doesn't scare me at all, my worry is if my lumps have turned into something more worrying. I would actually prefer if they removed all or some of it as I think my neck looks swollen sometimes and I hate it sad

I've actually made an appointment with a private endocrinologist (that I saw last time) because I just can't stand more weeks of waiting. that's on Tuesday, I'm hoping she can reassure me a bit more till my NHS appt comes through

Ps do you have any adverse affects with the thyroxine? As my mum is on it and she says it made her gain weight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now