Advanced search

Next door and the bloody fence

(13 Posts)
Littlepeople12345 Thu 05-May-16 21:26:31

Our neighbours son and his wife decided to build a cabin at the end of their garden to live in.

There was only a 4ft fence there so they decided to replace the 2 end panels (they did this on their other neighbours side too) to create some privacy. There is now a gap ( about 1/2 a fence panel) and then 4 fence panels which we now have to replace. Not replacing is not an option as they've left a gap and I want it repaired so our DC are safe.

Their son has now asked for £200 and apparently they would appreciate it by the time they go on holiday shock.

There is no bloody way we are paying, it's bad enough we have to pay for the rest to be done. So aibu to refuse to pay? He's kindly left all the old stuff at the bottom of our garden (including the posts he took from the other neighbours side) so if he's going to be fussy I'll just put it back up. Then I'll kindly email the pics to the council and see if he's allowed to live there. If he's going to be a twat I'll be one too.

Potatoface2 Thu 05-May-16 21:44:18

who's fence is it...if its yours he had no right to take it down without your permission....and he has no right to ask you to pay for what he changed....if its theirs then you dont have to pay at all.....and i would contact the council because as sure as can be its illegal to be living in a cabin/shed in the garden.....did he have planning permission....if you want to put a fence up make sure its on your property, and tell him he is not allowed to touch no yanbu but he IS!

Littlepeople12345 Thu 05-May-16 21:47:28

It's our fence, no he never asked to change it. He's a cheeky fucker.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Thu 05-May-16 21:49:16

Have this moved to Legal. Good luck OP.

LIZS Thu 05-May-16 21:53:47

Do they have planning permission to use it as a habitable accommodation? Just fill the gap with a cut down panel. If they want it higher they need to do it on their side of the boundary.

antimatter Thu 05-May-16 21:56:30

they will be fined if they are found by your council to be using it as a permanent accomodation

Littlepeople12345 Thu 05-May-16 21:56:39

They didn't and someone complained (not us) and I think they had to lower the roof or something and I think they were told not to live there.

LIZS Thu 05-May-16 21:57:12

So what if the council did an unannounced visit...

Maryz Thu 05-May-16 22:00:24

Oooh, it's the gymbalow again <rubs hands>

Tell the council and come back and tell us what they say

And whatever you do, don't pay him anything. But do give him the posts and other debris back.

seasidesally Thu 05-May-16 22:24:01

bed in a shed,report him,he sounds a complete wanker

Littlepeople12345 Thu 05-May-16 22:56:51

See I don't even care that they are there, if he didn't ask for that money i'd not give them another thought.

Arghhh why are people idiots!!!

notapizzaeater Thu 05-May-16 22:59:27

If take his bloody fence down and put yours back up and send him an invoice for the time

RaeSkywalker Thu 05-May-16 23:03:17

Tell him he's damaged your property and you'll be asking the tradesman who fixes it to invoice him directly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now