Talk

Advanced search

bio-metric passports

(51 Posts)
tiredgranny Thu 05-May-16 17:54:07

Does everyone else realise that as from 1st April 2016,than you can only enter usa on bio-metric passport??

Cheshireblue Thu 05-May-16 17:58:48

Yes but it will only effect a small number of people who's passports were issued in 1996/early 2007

budgiegirl Thu 05-May-16 17:59:00

I did read it somewhere, but it's not very clear on the ESTA application online.

SaveSomeSpendSome Thu 05-May-16 18:07:09

Most people will have these anyway as they were first brought in in 2006. As a adult passport expires after 10 years, anyone without a bio-metric passport will have a passport that is out of date and needs renewing anyway or its very nearly due for renewal

ElinoristhenewEnid Thu 05-May-16 18:25:57

my passport was issued end of September 2006 but does not expire until end of March 2017 (applied 6 months before expiry as advised) so has plenty of validity via the normal 6 month rule.

cannot renew until the end of June 2016 if I want to keep the extended time until March (cannot apply earlier than 9 months before previous passport expired)

There may be many people like me who still have nearly 11 months left on their passport issued before October 2006.

LogicalThinking Thu 05-May-16 18:30:03

Biometric passports were introduced in the UK in 2006.
You can renew a passport up to 9 months before it is due to expire and have those 9 months added to your new passport.
This will hardly affect anyone and all it will mean is they will have to renew their passports a few months earlier than they would ideally like to.

Spam88 Thu 05-May-16 18:32:20

As far as I'm aware, that isn't the case. I know they've changed it so that you have to have an e-Passport now if you want to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, although that restriction isn't in place if you apply for a visa.

KP86 Thu 05-May-16 18:33:32

I think it's only if you want to use ESTA visa waiver. Otherwise you need a regular visa.

LogicalThinking Thu 05-May-16 18:34:51

ElinoristhenewEnid It would only cause you a problem if you were travelling to the US between April and June 2016
And you can renew it earlier than June, but only 9 months will be added to your new passport. So it would cost you an extra couple of quid over the length of the passport.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 18:35:04

It shouldn't affect many people.

The bio-metric passports started being issued in October 2006.

Adult passports last 10 years, plus any extended time - so only affects anyone who has a passport issued between May 2006 to September 2006.

You can renew your passport and keep 9 months - so June 2016. Obviously there may be an issue with a delay getting the passport back quickly as we hit the summer. But for most people it should only really be a real issue for people with passports issued in May-June 2006.

You are supposed to have 6 months on your passport, after the date of your journey, when travelling to the US - so this will reduce this list of those affected further.

You can still travel to the US with an old style passport. You just cannot use the ESTA. You need to have a full visa issued - I assume you contact the US embassy. May require an interview though.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 18:36:39

Does everyone else realise that as from 1st April 2016,than you can only enter usa on bio-metric passport??

This is not the case.
You must have a biometric passport to use the visa waiver scheme.
You can still enter the US without a biometric passport - you just need arrange a normal/regular visa.

Ricardian Thu 05-May-16 19:56:17

It doesn't require a biometric passport, just an e-passport. There were quite a lot of passports which were e-passports, but not biometric, issued in the mid-noughties.

It's crazy to talk about visas as an alternative to renewing your passport: a passport costs 60p per month, so losing a year's validity is £7.20. A US Visa is $160, plus the cost of getting it (at least one visit to the embassy).

wasonthelist Thu 05-May-16 20:04:05

so has plenty of validity via the normal 6 month rule.

There is no 6 month rule. I travelled to the USA using the ESTA scheme in March with my old passport that was due to expire on 18th May. I had no issues then - although I have renewed it now ready for next time.

wasonthelist Thu 05-May-16 20:28:32

You are supposed to have 6 months on your passport, after the date of your journey, when travelling to the US -

No you aren't - see above.

wasonthelist Thu 05-May-16 20:32:40

This is what the FCO guide says for the USA -

Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:33:56

Under the waiver scheme the 6 months is by required.
However under the normal visa scheme it is, or at least was, required.

tiredgranny Thu 05-May-16 20:40:52

I thought bio-metric n e passport same.

IonaNE Thu 05-May-16 20:41:44

Just consider changing your passport as part of the overall cost of a trip to the US.

wasonthelist Thu 05-May-16 20:43:08

Under the waiver scheme the 6 months is by required.

No it isn't - I applied for, and was granted, an ESTA for the remaining duration of my passport, which was well under 6 months. There is no six month rule, it's an urban myth.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:44:44

Is by - should say is Not!!!

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:46:03

Sorry - yes. I had a typing error and the error then autocorrected to is by for some reason.

Is not required under the waiver visa scheme (ESTA)

Is required under the normal/regular visa scheme.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:48:03

It isn't an urban myth. It's a requirement under the regular visa scheme, as confirmed on the embassy and the gov travel websites.

Iflyaway Thu 05-May-16 20:49:00

I have one. (Not in the UK). Had to give my fingerprints.

(Same when I went into Malaysia as a tourist).

I don't have a problem with it personally.

Got an ESTA too, valid for 5 years I think....

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:52:16

ESTA is valid for two years.

However, it is now only valid for a passport with a chip (e passport) and existing ones will be cancelled for anyone without an e passport.

Hulababy Thu 05-May-16 20:53:18

And yes it is an e passport not a biometric one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now