Advanced search

to blow my top over this?

(18 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 10:43:36

I put a complaint over twitter about them sending my address to a debt company when it's not my debt it's an old tenants.

they private messaged me and told me if the gas bix has gone then that's fine but if it's still there I got to pay a service charge.

aibu to get angry over this and refuse to pay any service charge as it's not my debt?

Flossyfloof Thu 05-May-16 10:47:46

Do you think getting angry is going to help?

curren Thu 05-May-16 10:49:32

Speak to CAB.

Vodafone chased me and dh for years for a debt. Basically we called to cancel our phone contracts and the person on the phone didn't cancel it and signed us up for another 2 years. We had been and got new phones that day so there was no way we had signed up. We didn't need four phones between us.

It went to a debt collector. CAB told us what to say and what to put in a letter and told us what they could and couldn't do. The debt company couldn't retrieve the phone call from Vodafone and so they wrote to us apologising and scrapping all charges.

I can't see them being able to charge you anything if the debt isn't yours.

whois Thu 05-May-16 10:49:46

I have no idea who you were complaining to.

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 10:50:18

no it's not. I haven't gotten angry at them just on my own.

19lottie82 Thu 05-May-16 10:50:23

Did you not post about this a couple of days ago? If you're not getting anywhere with the utility company then just go to ofgem?

OohMavis Thu 05-May-16 10:50:37

Who are 'they'? Getting angry won't help, personally I'd call them calmly and tell them they've made a mistake and the tenant with whom they have business with has moved on.

"I'm sorry, no, it's not my debt. Good luck finding them." and repeat.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 05-May-16 10:53:05

Everybody pays a standing charge for their gas to my knowledge- it's a daily charge of a couple of pence I think???

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 10:59:26

never thought of CAB.

It was their help team. they asked for the old persons name and account details from the estate agents. so how they got the idea that I need to pay when for starters the debt is for a male and I'm female is beyond me.

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 11:02:11

lottie yeah I did and I thought I got somewhere cause I even felt bad I put it on twitter but now they are being like this.

quiet I always thought you paid it if it's up and running. but this person hasn't been here since 2008 so won't that be a little extra?

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 11:02:57

I've also tried that ooh but that got me nowhere that's why I went to twitter.

AnthonyPandy Thu 05-May-16 11:05:30

2008? Can they chase a debt that old?

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 11:17:55

well the person who lived here hasn't been here since 2008. so unless it's a debt from that long ago (I always thought if they couldn't chase you after so many years they dropped it) I believe they're using my address as a deliver to so they can ignore the debt?

he also had another debt to our house but I sorted that out. they went we won't send no more and took my address off and was very pleasant about it. this other one who was nice is owed 10x more than the energy company but didn't kick up a fuss so why can't the energy company be the same.

WeeHelena Thu 05-May-16 11:48:37

If it's an energy company then I suppose you have to go through their complaint procedure get a reference number wait 7 days for them to fix, if they don't then on to the ombudsman.

I had major issues with an energy company recently, many phonecalles over a 6 month period they still hadn't fixed the whole issue and I just payed what I didn't owe to get rid of them.

I wish I had recorded every interaction and hadn't lost my complaints number or else I wold have taken it to ombudsman.

My advice record everything said and done on paper.

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 05-May-16 13:33:33

they said if I haven't used any gas then they will drop the service charges as good will. my house is all electric, there is no boiler on my house. we heat our water with an electric emulsion heater, we cook on electric stove/oven and we heat the house on an electric fire and electric heaters.

curren Thu 05-May-16 15:37:09

If it's an energy company then I suppose you have to go through their complaint procedure get a reference number wait 7 days for them to fix, if they don't then on to the ombudsman.

You have to open a complaint with the energy company and if they can resolve it, it goes to ofgem. It's far more than 7 days. It's about 6 weeks

WeeHelena Thu 05-May-16 23:19:03

Fair enough Curren was just using vague memory.
Still a pain to go through.

AerithEarthling Fri 06-May-16 01:03:22

Who gave your details out? Who are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now