Talk

Advanced search

to contact people on facebook late at night

(19 Posts)
steviewonderful Thu 05-May-16 01:33:33

so behind with technology etc it's untrue

with smartphones, they bleep if certain things happen on facebook and the phone is connected to the internet, so does this mean i'm being antisocial if I message or post on people's walls late at night?

or is it their responsibility to turn off the alerts so they're not bothered in the middle of the night?

the middle of the night is often the only chance I get to respond to people trying to contact me cos i'm busy in the day with babba (single parent)

Baconyum Thu 05-May-16 01:37:13

I consider it their responsibility to turn off their device or their alerts. Its very easy to do. I wouldn't phone someone late at night but i certainly text/pm and nobody's ever complained. (Although it drives me nuts that if I text my mother she calls back instead of texting sometimes)

Jenny70 Thu 05-May-16 01:41:51

fine, I have friends in different timezones and comment whenever - it's their responsibility to have it on vibrate/out of the room.

I never sleep with phone next to me, but realise some do/need to

Naoko Thu 05-May-16 01:44:26

It's fine. Their responsibility to put the phone on silent or disable notifications. The only thing that annoys me is phonecalls about something that can wait till morning. My phone is set to be silent after midnight and only notify out loud for a phonecall or the alarm (because I need the alarm to get up, and if someone calls me at 3am I assume it is important enough that I want to be woken up). Not your problem if they can't be arsed to spend a few minutes setting it up.

Broken1Girl Thu 05-May-16 01:49:29

Their responsibility to put their phone on silent, turn off etc.

noddingoff Thu 05-May-16 01:56:37

Yep their responsibility- otherwise my Aussie and Kiwi friends and I would drive each other nuts! I have a young baby and agree night feeds are often the best time to catch up on FB

herecomethepotatoes Thu 05-May-16 03:05:48

I don't think there's a problem. I'll email anyone any time of day or night too.

I wouldn't whatsapp, viber, text message or call though, unless it was unusual circumstances.

glueandstick Thu 05-May-16 04:20:02

The middle of the night is when I get time to message people! And with all the different time zones involved it would be a nightmare to work it out.

Their responsibility to turn their phone on silent.

Unless I'm waiting for an important call (rarely) my phone is always on silent. It's there for my use not others so if I'm free and I notice the call/message I pick it up. If not it waits until I check it.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Thu 05-May-16 04:21:26

social media and text alerts rarely wake me up and I often get tweets and occasionally texts at odd times because of where my friends work. For instance I've just woken up and I've got 4 messages from 11 o clock last night. And if we're still 'chatting' later I won't be able to answer until after midnight their time. They won't mind.

Tbh there's a fair bit of activity late at night because as pp have said it's the time kids are asleep and parents actually get to sit down and properly read comments and messages

threewords3 Thu 05-May-16 05:10:38

It's the phone owners responsibility to make sure their phone doesn't disturb them, whether that's in a meeting at work, on in the middle of the night.

I have family and friends all over the world, it's always the middle of the night somewhere, but I whatsapp/facebook whenever is convenient for me, the other person reads it whenever it is convenient for them.

MattDillonsPants Thu 05-May-16 06:01:32

I have a smartphone but my social media is kept off it. Not everyone even stays signed in OP...I agree with others that it's fine to post late. I do!

EarthboundMisfit Thu 05-May-16 06:34:57

I think it's fine to post at any time.

JonSnowsBeardClippings Thu 05-May-16 06:40:21

No it's up to them. I have all beeping turned off on my phone and most notifications off too, it only makes noise when it rings and it's usually on silent. I hate being bothered!

whois Thu 05-May-16 07:11:35

I consider it the persons responsibility to set their phone to DND or at least silent at night. You leave your noise on, you run the risk of being woken by pings.

crazywriter Thu 05-May-16 09:12:29

Fine to post any time and their responsibility to turn their phones off or on silent. My phone has a "do not disturb" feature so it automatically stops vibrating during certain hours. It's usually on vibrate mode anyway though with a baby in the house.

Krampus Thu 05-May-16 09:26:55

Their responsibility.
With my phone its posible to automaticaly change the alerts according to the time of day.

x2boys Thu 05-May-16 09:30:17

Their responsibility I,m a member of several fb group's ( disabillity groups) that are world wide people might post to a comment on a thread I have commented at all times of the day and night in different time zones .

newmumwithquestions Thu 05-May-16 16:39:50

Calls or texts sociable times only. Email/messenger (Facebook)/whatsapp etc whenever you like

OnceThereWasThisGirlWho Fri 06-May-16 12:00:23

This is interesting. I always thought it was the person's responsibility to turn their phone off, although I wouldn't call someone in the middle of the night, only text or facebook/email etc.

Then a few people got annoyed with me about being disturbed... Two of them I'd sent facebook messages to during the night/early morning. Another I had called late (11pm-midnight sort of time), but his bedtime for years had been at least 2am so I'd recalibrated my polite-o-meter.

As a subAIBU of this, one friend got annoyed at the way I sent messages on facebook. We would send long, thoughtful messages, more like an email really. Beig a night owl, I replied very late. Due to the tiny box you get to write message in, so you can't easily scroll through it, I sent my message a paragraph at a time shock. I was following Ye Olde MSNMessenger etiquette grin, clearly I'm out of date. Still think their phone should have been off though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now