To think this is discrimination?

(48 Posts)
shiveringhiccup Wed 04-May-16 18:18:06

I'll try and keep it brief - long time lurker but first post so I want to get it right for all you lovely MNers!

I have a 3mo DC. I've been offered some short term work (for about 2 weeks). It's all done remotely on the computer, hence why I applied for it.

However now I've been accepted for the work, I've found out that they expect me to do a training day. I emailed them and explained that I have a 3mo who is EBF and asked if there are any facilities for me to bring the baby (to be fair I should have been clearer - I meant is there baby changing etc so I can sit in the training with DC with me).

They replied and said there are no childcare facilities and that it wouldn't be ok for me to bring DC with me so what I should do is turn down the work.

Is this allowed??! I totally understand that they might not want to have a baby in the room while they're doing the training, but I thought that by law there's some protection there, especially because DC is EBF?

DoreenLethal Wed 04-May-16 18:19:25

Yes I don't think they will be able to do that because by you turning down the job because they can't facilitate the breastfeeding is automatically discriminatory.

EmeraldEars Wed 04-May-16 18:20:52

Who would be looking after your child?

manicinsomniac Wed 04-May-16 18:23:30

I don't think it's normally expected that employees can bring their children to work with them? EBF or not. They should have mentioned the need for the training on the job advert but I don't think it is discriminatory to expect their employees to attend work/training without their children.

LittleMissBossyBoots Wed 04-May-16 18:30:48

You seriously think you should be allowed to take your baby along on your training course and not being able to is discrimination? Sorry but I think YABU and a bit bonkers to boot.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 04-May-16 18:32:22

If you value your work with this company I would not risk having a go at them for discrimination over a one day event.

Express milk and do it that way?

Euphemia Wed 04-May-16 18:34:13

I think you'll have to turn the work down. Even if you argue that there was no mention in the ad/job spec of attendance being required, they're not going to back down, are they?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 04-May-16 18:34:36

YABU.

Why should they accommodate your baby?

Rockchick1984 Wed 04-May-16 18:34:59

All that they have to do is allow you to express at intervals, I'd imagine there is very few jobs where you can take your baby on training courses!

As an aside, do you have childcare for the baby while working from home?

shiveringhiccup Wed 04-May-16 18:36:23

Lol ok... Looks like IABU then!! Thanks all.

winchester1 Wed 04-May-16 18:37:05

They have to provide you space and time to pump not allow you to bring your baby with you. Can your partner or one of your parents have the baby for the day?

x2boys Wed 04-May-16 18:37:28

Yeah the should have mentioned it but I dint see how it can be discrimination ,I was a nurse when I had my babies and I went back to work when they were around 5 months I didn't breast feed but if I had i,m told they would have had to make provisions to allow mothers to express milk but that's all.

kippersandcustard Wed 04-May-16 18:37:40

They need to provide facilities for you to express or feed your baby in a quiet place, but not for the baby to stay. If you had a friend or relative who could bring the baby in during your lunch break that would be fine. You definitely have no right to keep the baby with you for the day. Sorry but no discrimination there.

RortyCrankle Wed 04-May-16 18:38:23

It isn't just the breastfeeding though is it. If you take your baby into the training room with you, what do you do if he or she starts crying and won't be calmed? You will either miss part of the training trying to deal with your child or it's going to disturb other people who are there to learn.

I don't think they are being discriminatory expecting your attendance for training without your child.

I ran many training courses before i retired and would have given you the same answer.

EmeraldEars Wed 04-May-16 18:39:38

Were you genuinely expecting to be allowed to take your child with you? I don't understand why you would think this would be ok? If that was the case everybody would take their children to work. confused

Becky546 Wed 04-May-16 18:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Wed 04-May-16 18:42:44

It would have been helpful if they'd mentioned the training day before you applied, but you can't seriously expect to be able to take your child to work with you.

WriteforFun1 Wed 04-May-16 18:42:47

It's rubbish of them not to explain there was a training day but it's not discrimination to say you can't bring your baby.

x2boys Wed 04-May-16 18:42:59

Ok.op has said she was been unreasonable now hmm

MummyBex1985 Wed 04-May-16 18:44:12

It's not discrimination. YABU.

Lunar1 Wed 04-May-16 18:45:30

Who would look after baby between feeds

x2boys Wed 04-May-16 18:46:30

Ffs she posted she was being unreasonable hmm

PirateFairy45 Wed 04-May-16 18:57:27

You're wanting to take your baby to work, YABU.

Could you get someone to watch DC for a little while, it's only for a few hours

EmeraldEars Wed 04-May-16 18:58:57

x2boys - I think we all get that she's accepted she's been unreasonable I'm just intrigued as to how she thought it would work.

peggyundercrackers Wed 04-May-16 19:02:51

I was allowed to leave early if needing to bf but during the day I wasn't allowed to bring my child to work to do it - who would look after the child during the times they aren't feeding?confused I don't think it's discrimination I think you need to adjust your expectations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now