Talk

Advanced search

How quick people are too judge?

(22 Posts)
Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:08:37

Now these past 6 weeks ive been lurking on AIBU getting engrossed , maybe much more than I should of haha. Only to come back later on and see it's been removed because it's been reported as fake. Some deserved too be reported as they were obviously fake but must admit very entertaining! And others I genuinley believed. It just seems people go, oh well that's never happened in my life so they must be lying. Now I like to think I know when somebody is telling the truth even if it does seem far fetched within reason. For example I wouldnt believe Channing Tatum has broken into my house stole my nanna , and then had a poop in my litter box AIBU to be upset?
It just seems threads are being pulled left right and centre because people are all too ready with their pitch forks and interrogation techniques. AIBU that majority of the threads got removed wrongly or am being sensitive. (maybe cause I invested far too much time in some of these scenarios)

EatShitDerek Wed 04-May-16 17:09:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:14:29

But I read one where she had a stillborn it got reported as fake because people called out the way she was mourning. They pulled the thread and removed her account , she signed back up under a different name and provided them with proof her story was legit. So they're not always right it just seems any of them that have the tiniest bit of drama get pulled envy

CaptainCrunch Wed 04-May-16 17:15:37

Troll threads are removed because they're started by trolls. Nothing to do with "pitchforks".

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:17:19

Although it's like I've said maybe I'm being a mardy bum because I invested time and it got pulled rightly or wrongly blush

DuckAndPancakes Wed 04-May-16 17:20:08

The insinuation that anything with a mild bit of drama gets pulled is ridiculous. I've seen some bloody amazing bun fights here.

Quite often they get pulled for reasons OTHER than trollery and what not.

EatShitDerek Wed 04-May-16 17:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LilacSpunkMonkey Wed 04-May-16 17:23:27

Six weeks?

I used to be like you. Stick around. You'll learn to spot 'em a mile off.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:24:05

I always seem to miss the bun fights duck sad although I did catch most of the mawaui wedding special (doubt ive spelt it right) that one was amazing I was sad too see it go!

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:25:31

Lilac I only found mumsnet 6 weeks ago and found AIBU as I wanted a dilemma sorted out but didn't know how to put it so I didn't reveal myself and then it became an addiction sort of like reading the newspaper daily!

CaptainCrunch Wed 04-May-16 17:31:05

The opening post of a troll thread isn't necessarily trolly. It's the follow up nonsense that makes it obviously written by one.

Classic troll behaviour is being vague and disingenuous, often giving obtuse responses to direct questions and goading MNetters who get over invested in the thread, clever ones manage to get a good bunfight going by basically pitching two divisive groups against each other, chipping in every now and then to fan the flames.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 17:46:56

Oh I like the way you explained that Captain , never thought of it like that.

buttercupfarm Wed 04-May-16 18:09:06

Another question about trolls.....are all the posts by trolls trollish I wonder, or will they sometimes put genuine posts up?

curren Wed 04-May-16 18:12:51

Personally I report threads that have a wiff of troll. MNHQ do not delete all threads that are reported.

I have had messages from them saying while they understand the concern they ant see anything that suggests it's a troll (in posting history) or a pbp. They only delete the ones they are fairly sure about. Yes, it may be wrong sometimes. But MNHQ are people, people get things wrong sometimes.

CaptainCrunch Wed 04-May-16 18:15:45

Some trolls play a long game, posting reasonable, ordinary stuff to appear kosher before cranking up for the big pay off.

Sparklingbrook Wed 04-May-16 18:20:54

As Lilac said give it time and you will be able to spot them no problem. When I was new I couldn't believe people lied on MN either.

Don't get too invested.

Narp Wed 04-May-16 18:25:53

With respect, I think when I first came on here I believed everything. After a while you start to spot fakery, as Captain says

Narp Wed 04-May-16 18:27:11

... and Captain, you forgot to mention tossing a sock puppet in if necessary

CaptainCrunch Wed 04-May-16 18:32:25

You're absolutely right about the sock puppet lobbed in just to fan the flames. It's hilarious when they forget to nc back and start openly agreeing with themselves.

Narp Wed 04-May-16 18:37:37

grin

yes

Kungfupandaworksout16 Wed 04-May-16 19:17:21

What do you mean about sock puppets? It's like I said I like to think I'm good at spotting a fake but with all your opinions ive had blinkers on and will learn in time!

Sparklingbrook Wed 04-May-16 19:23:39

Sockpuppets are people that namechange on a thread to agree with themselves. people are really bonkers and actually do that. especially if the thread isn't going their way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now