Talk

Advanced search

To think you should pay for bridesmaids/page boy outfits if it's your wedding?

(13 Posts)
VaVaVooom Wed 04-May-16 10:22:04

MIL is getting married, they are fairly well off.

She has decided she wants all the bridesmaids in matching dresses and has told us where to buy them....

She then said because of our 'money situation' she'd be prepared to pay for the dresses and that "£25 each would be rather a lot for us"....

So on both levels I'm a bit annoyed. I think the bride and groom should pay, and without the whole 'because you're poor we'll pay for just your daughters'.

AIBU?

iloveberries Wed 04-May-16 10:22:53

Bride and groom should definitely pay if they expect anyone in the wedding party to wear a certain outfit.

iloveberries Wed 04-May-16 10:23:14

WITHOUT any comment about your money situation.
How bloody rude

MissBattleaxe Wed 04-May-16 10:23:26

YANBU. If they want something a certain way, they should not pass on any costs to guests.

whois Wed 04-May-16 10:25:03

Yes bloody yes. If you want people to be pretty and matching at your wedding you have to pay. <fumes after being bridesmaid 3 times last year and being expected to pay for 1 revolting dress in its entirety and about 50% of one of the others>

GipsyDanger Wed 04-May-16 10:25:06

I believe the etiquette is if you want matching, you pay if they want own dresses they pay.

charleybarley Wed 04-May-16 10:29:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GastonsPomPomWrath Wed 04-May-16 10:32:10

What a rude woman.

VaVaVooom Wed 04-May-16 10:37:39

Ugh, it's just so embarrassing and rude.

BarbarianMum Wed 04-May-16 10:40:59

My bridesmaids paid for their own dresses but then they chose them too. They certainly didn't match. We paid for the bouquets they carried obviously.

I've been a bridesmaid once and paid for everything, including £100 for a pair of satin sandals ,<wince>. That I did resent - the dress was hideous.

YANBU but £25 for a dress is not that unreasonable and they are paying.

madmomma Wed 04-May-16 10:44:40

Yes. But people can be so cringe when it comes to weddings. It's like brides just have a blindspot.

paddypants13 Wed 04-May-16 10:45:08

Yes, she should pay. My DD was a flower girl for my cousin last year. I knew money was tight for them so I bought DD's shoes which she then wore as summer shoes but I would not have paid or contributed towards the dress.

GreenTomatoJam Wed 04-May-16 10:47:37

If you're being told what to buy, they should pay.

Having said that, my sister requested (note requested, not demanded) that my boys wore a certain colour suit - and I bought them, but then she's skint and I'm not (and the kids looked awesome) so I didn't mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now