Can't get a doctors appointment?

(11 Posts)
kscience Wed 04-May-16 09:29:40

I have moved to a new area and new practice. I have two long term ongoing conditions that needs medicating. Last docs had a great set up and I got a text from local pharmacy and picked up drugs. Generally made routine appointments during my holiday periods and on rare occasion needed a doc got phone consult or appointment same day.

Struggled to get to new practice outside working hours to sign on but managed it three weeks ago with just over a week of drugs left. Could not get repeat prescription and could not offer me a routine appointment until end of May!! None of these appointments were outside working and hours even though surgery runs until 6:30. Suggested I phone daily for other appointments to become available. I did point out that running out of one of my medications can have serious consequences and told I HAD to have routine appointment.
SO phoning every day for 2 weeks and not getting anywhere. Except now being offered appointments in June during working hours only.. I was fortunate to be ill and sent home from work so managed an emergency appointment EVENTUALLY .
I now need a blood test. Usually go to local hospital 5 mins from work (and with appointments starting at 7am can still be at work on time) but told that I now HAVE to use doctors clinic (appointments only between 9-11) OR local hospital 35min away in opposite direction to work. So will wait for my next holiday and doc will have to wait.
BUT really should it be this bloody hard? Should I have to take time off work for a routine appointment? Couldn't even get an early or late time so try and negotiate with work to get in late/leave early, all were middle of day and commute would have meant minimum 2 hours out of work and cover implications/cost implications for employer (frowned on).

I am aware I am now ranty........ Handing out chocolate in apology for rantyness

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 04-May-16 10:03:06

Is there a different surgery you could join?

It does seem like a huge hassle although I understand why they need to see you before they issue prescriptions

CantAffordtoLive Wed 04-May-16 10:08:32

No. It shouldn't be that hard. I've never had such a bad experience with any of my Doctors surgeries. I also think it might be worth finding out if there is a different surgery you could register with. Ask around and find out other peoples experiences.

When I've been in danger of running out of my medication the pharmacist has given me a weeks supply on the understanding that I would take my prescription to him to fulfill, minus the week he'd already given me.

kscience Wed 04-May-16 10:25:00

Thought it was just me.
New area and only doctor with places (now I know why).
Totally understand needing to see doc before prescription being issued, but to have such an inaccessible system is a bit bonkers. To get emergency appointment go to surgery at 9:30 am (drive past on way home from work so popped in rather than phoned) to be told all gone for the morning phone again at 1 pm. Despite standing there having an asthma attack. Told to phone 111 if got worse (had already phoned 111 who advised GP) or 999!!! Just needed nebuliser and steroids
Pharmacist never seen me before so unable to have done that although have now signed up with them to sort repeat prescriptions as I struggle to get to docs to request repeat prescriptions. Have signed up for online service from docs but repeat prescriptions not a service offered!

creamoftomato Wed 04-May-16 10:38:43

Feel your pain. Are you in London? It's a fucking nightmare here. Rang this morning about the baby at 8:30am as they recommend, didn't get through until almost 9am, obviously appointments all gone. So ring back this afternoon or tomorrow morning. It's one of those niggly non-emergency things that could do with seeing in the next week or so, you know. Asked if I could book a routine appointment for next couple of weeks instead - nope, no routine appointments for the next 3 weeks. What about after that? No, they only schedule them every 3 weeks. Concluded will ring back tomorrow.

Then asked about non-urgent appointment for me. Asked if possible to see a woman Dr (womanly problem / my sister previously been sent away by horrified male GP at same surgery when she dared to see him for gynae thing). Receptionist: "yes we have three woman Drs! <reels off names>". Me: "that's great, I don't mind which one, can I book to see one of them". Her: "no, there are no appointments available. Ok?" Me: "umm ok...." Her: "ok good BYYYEEEEE" and hangs up.

hmm

kscience Wed 04-May-16 10:51:01

COT how awful
I am not in London live just outside Southampton but work in Portsmouth, but with traffic can take between 45min to hour and half to travel each way.
Tempted to write to practice manager to flag issues, Or is that just OTT?

creamoftomato Wed 04-May-16 11:54:05

I actually think it's a good idea. Otherwise how do they know? I'm toying with the idea of asking to join the patients group thing for mine...

parmalilac Wed 04-May-16 12:03:52

That's awful, some practices seem to be unable to cope - or they take on more patients than they should, if they can't give appointments in a reasonable time. I would deffo call the practice manager.

Tangfastics Wed 04-May-16 12:12:34

Mine can't even be arsed to see you before they prescribe.

I am getting a prescription this afternoon without seeing anyone - for a recurrent infection which really needs investigating.

YorkieDorkie Wed 04-May-16 12:27:47

Welcome to the postcode lottery that is our healthcare!

BettyOctopus Wed 04-May-16 14:14:32

Booked a routine appointment at our GP yesterday. Next available is 24 June!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now