Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why they don't make a spot on for children?

(32 Posts)
hibbleddible Wed 04-May-16 00:33:38

I'm only half joking here.

DC's class at school has an infestation, and it is likely that some parents aren't treating.

Dog gets a spot on every month, and I don't have to worry. Why can't I do the same with dd to stop her getting reinfected???

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 00:36:40

Your kids have fleas?

grin sorry!!

There must be a reason for it. Its a good idea.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Wed 04-May-16 00:38:32

Because spot on works by lots of horrible chemicals entering the dog's bloodstream. Not sure I'd be queueing up to do that to my dc.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 04-May-16 00:40:11

I've been saying this for years.

Why isn't there a nit vaccination?

Garlic oil is the balls when it comes to killing nits, btw.

hibbleddible Wed 04-May-16 00:40:30

Fleas or something like that. She thinks it's pretty cool shock

I don't think it's cool to have to fork out large sums on vile shampoos only for her to get reinfected.

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 00:43:19

Garlic oil <takes note>

OP do you use a tea tree oil shampoo? apparently it repels the buggers. <touch wood> my DC have escaped nits this far (ages 10 and 6) so i'm sticking to it.

Janefromdowntheroad Wed 04-May-16 00:44:21

Nits?

I've been saying it did years but the whole country needs a nit treatment day. Billboards, advertising campaigns, TV adverts. Everyone checks and treats on the same day. Wipe the fuckers out.

Why one of the nit companies hasn't run a campaign I don't know

Janefromdowntheroad Wed 04-May-16 00:45:52

I used cheap vodka when the DC got them. Those bastards withstood a nuclear war of chemicals, wet combing and god knows what else.

Cheap vodka rubbed in with a shower cap for an hour. Dead as a post.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 04-May-16 00:46:55

Ooo, I'd like a National Nit Day.

We could all go to work slathered in garlic/neem oil as tie Tesco carrier bags around our hair.

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 00:52:29

grin king

But a national nit day makes a lot of sense! Why on earth hasnt that happened? The nit companies would make a (literal) killing!

leghoul Wed 04-May-16 01:04:03

it's in their interests for everyone to be permanently reinfected though

Postchildrenpregranny Wed 04-May-16 01:06:38

Do they still make Robi Combs ? Brilliant things . Battery operated,Wide toothed and they vibrate and kill the live ones . I think they break their legs And you comb out the eggs. I still have ours somewhere .....(my Dds are 30 and 26)

LucyBabs Wed 04-May-16 01:07:00

What's a "spot on" confused

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 04-May-16 01:07:53

Well you would need a national nit just under a month to really make sure and I'm pretty sure the nation may get bored mid way into it

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 01:09:44

it's in their interests for everyone to be permanently reinfected though

True! I would never make it in business grin

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 01:10:49

Even if there was a national nit day, we all know there'd be parents who didnt bother.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Wed 04-May-16 01:12:16

We could all go to work slathered in garlic/neem oil as tie Tesco carrier bags around our hair

I work from home. That's just Monday to me.

VioletVaccine Wed 04-May-16 01:16:06

Why one of the nit companies hasn't run a campaign I don't know

Because if there was a mass eradication of nits, then nit creams like Hedrin and Full Marks would be pointless as we'd have no need to buy them. Makes more business sense for to keep the demand up, at our expense - literally.
Why cure something completely, if you can continue to make money selling treatments time and again? angry

Mummyme1987 Wed 04-May-16 01:19:14

Once ordered a nit comb on my online grocery order, got substituation of a flea collar!

leghoul Wed 04-May-16 01:49:51

grin flea collars to be added to primary school uniforms nationwide!

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 01:53:11

Did the collar work? grin

Mummyme1987 Thu 05-May-16 23:47:20

I so wished I had tried lol. Hate the little bugs, now at least my kids have moved up to big school and it's not as bad.

Tiopyn Fri 06-May-16 00:28:21

Lucy - spot on is the type of flea stuff you use on cats and dogs. A dab on the back of the neck once a month and the kids would be nit-free - sounds like a great idea!

Mind you, one of my cats got a nasty burn from her for a treatment last month. sad

Do your kids wear their hair up? Sounds silly but made a difference with ours.

GinSolvesEverything Fri 06-May-16 05:24:07

I've battled nits on one of my kids for the best part of a year now. She has masses of really fine hair and I can never seem to completely get them all out.

The best treatment so far is to completely coat her hair in cheap olive oil, rubbing it into the roots and making sure it's all covered. It stays on overnight and then we wash it out in the morning and comb through. The oil is meant to clog the air holes on the eggs and also suffocate any live lice. Seems to be pretty effective.

redcaryellowcar Fri 06-May-16 05:56:04

I popped into our health food shop for tea tree shampoo and they suggested quassia chips, basically you soak a table spoon of these woody/ bark chips overnight then use the water as a rinse after shampooing. I've just googled, this is the info from whole foods website...
Quassia wood chips are a powerful anti-parasitic often used to treat head lice or nits. This multi-purpose wood has been used for many hundreds of years to treat a wide variety of ailments, both inside and outside the body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now