Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with DH for taking the wind out my sails

(38 Posts)
voluptuagoodshag Tue 03-May-16 18:41:27

I've never been much of a runner but had been doing the odd 5k. I've signed up to do a 10k in Autumn so have been trying to get out more. Today, for the first time ever, I actually covered the 10k distance. I took a couple of rests and walked quickly up the steep bits but I was well chuffed with myself and feeling great. I shared this with DH when he got home from work. His response when he asked how long it took me was 'well done, gives you something to build on'
I was duly pissed off at this but he went on to say that my time was a bit slow. FFS who cares, I ran the distance, and half of it was up a fairly steep hill. Prat! Felt the need to vent.

sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 03-May-16 18:43:19

Well if you ever have sex again - day the same -

grin

2rebecca Tue 03-May-16 18:43:49

Disappointing. My husband would have given me Strada kudos for that (but complains he gives me more kudos than I give him but I'm just less of a Strava addict.)
Well done.

Zampa Tue 03-May-16 18:44:54

Well done from me!

My DH does this. He thinks he's being kind and because he's super fit he genuinely didn't see my comparatively small triumphs in the world of athletic endeavours as comparatively big ones for me. But I tell him to piss off and we move on!

Good luck for your 10K!

RaeSkywalker Tue 03-May-16 18:45:34

Well done OP! star

I'd be a little hmm too.

winchester1 Tue 03-May-16 18:53:49

Well done i never got 5km and waa chuffed at that. flowers

Mines the same, I've just worked my ass off for an hour running around fetching logs, fit bit is cheering me, OH oh well maybe we (he means me) will be faster tommorow.
Its like they don't even hear what they are saying sometimes.

voluptuagoodshag Tue 03-May-16 18:58:34

DH is very fit, but I'm hardly a fecking threat to his sporting dominance. Arse! Feel like swearing a lot. Next time he swans in from a long bike ride I'll raise my eyebrows and say 'is that all'. Twat

GarlicShake Tue 03-May-16 19:21:07

Good plan re bike ride grin Well done!

AppleSetsSail Tue 03-May-16 19:23:17

Rude. Sorry OP. You're amazing star halo chocolate

Brainnotbrawn Tue 03-May-16 19:24:43

My DH always does this and pushes me on when we run together I fecking hate it. Tossers both of them grin

fascicle Tue 03-May-16 19:33:36

It's a real achievement, progressing from 5 to 10k. Your dh's comment was daft (a bit slow for what?).

LauraMipsum Tue 03-May-16 19:40:56

LTB. grin

GemmaB78 Tue 03-May-16 19:46:59

My OH was a bit like this when we first met. He's a former semi-pro triathlete, has completed numerous ironmans, and is now a cyclist, so he has a very different idea of fitness to me. After getting annoyed a few times, I changed tack and use his experience now and he coaches me.

Could you get your OH to do something similar?

TurnOffTheTv Tue 03-May-16 19:51:16

Well done you! My Husband also pisses on my chips with regards to running. I told him in no uncertain terms to pack it the fuck in as he was upsetting me. I've not heard a peep since grin I've just done my first 10k as well, so unless it took you two hours or something tell him to do one!

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Tue 03-May-16 19:54:41

sallyhas has the perfect answer! grin

Well done OP! I can barely run a mile and am always impressed with anyone who can run.

Ignore the fool!

WriteforFun1 Tue 03-May-16 19:56:24

YANBU

but yay for the 10k, that's terrific.

purplepandas Tue 03-May-16 19:56:37

Loving Sally's response! Well done Op.

RJnomore1 Tue 03-May-16 19:56:58

Acht this is the kind of thing my runner dh would say and think he's bring encouraging.

DoreenLethal Tue 03-May-16 19:58:34

Yes to Sally's response.

Well done OP - I did a 3k when my OH did a 10k a fortnight ago and we both have our medals up in the front room. I'd want to drop kick your so called husband for that one.

Allalonenow Tue 03-May-16 20:00:22

Well done you!

I learnt to swim as an adult, and was so thrilled with number of lengths completed etc. EX who couldn't swim at all and was frightened of water, often used to tell me that my style was poor, and was always pleased to point out any little failures.
He was glad to suck the joy out of it, and try to keep me in my place, he wasn't so cheerful when I divorced him though!
Not that I'm suggesting you should do that of course, but it was one of the last straws for me.

InionEile Tue 03-May-16 20:03:12

My DH is the same about my feeble efforts to get into running - unimpressed. He is not at all fit himself though because he says he works too hard to have time for the gym!

When I ran my first 5k he was just grumpy when I got home because he had had to watch the DC on his own for 2 hours. hmm He is such a curmudgeon. On the upside he expects no praise from me either if he does anything of note so he is at least fair!

Believeitornot Tue 03-May-16 20:05:01

It sounded like he was being encouraging.....

He said well done? Something to build on? What's wrong with that - it is true.

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 03-May-16 20:19:41

Brilliantgrin

AwfulBeryl Tue 03-May-16 20:21:40

He came across as being a bit dick, but (obviously I don't know him) probably meant it in a encouraging way.
Most sporty fit types I know are always wanting to improve their times, they're quite open and honest about if it is a good time / result or not.
He still is a bit of a knob head though.
Well done.

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 03-May-16 20:23:10

Sorry that was meant to Sally's reply but to you op a massive well done !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now