Talk

Advanced search

Why do people on here question EVERYTHING?

(175 Posts)
JenniferYellowShat Mon 02-May-16 08:43:41

OP - I think I'm being stood up

Replies - You are needy and desperate.

OP - My tenants are constantly late with their rent

Replies - It's your fault for renting your place. Expect them to do this, put up and shut up.

OP - I saw a man on the ground being hit by several police officers last night. WWYD?

Replies - But how could you have seen? It was dark. How could you see how many times he was hit? YABU
[answer - because I have eyes]

Lighteningirll Mon 02-May-16 08:46:26

Apparently all dogs are rabid, attack runners, terrify children love to see on programs and should be exterminated from our I tell you our planet. Mumsnet is a very strange place yanbu.

Lighteningirll Mon 02-May-16 08:47:02

Wee on prams ffs

Lemonade1 Mon 02-May-16 08:48:16

The clue's in the question

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-May-16 08:50:40

Because most OPs raise more questions than they answer probably.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Mon 02-May-16 08:52:05

Because many people live in a self made bubble where different perspectives are never heard. Mumsnet is a leveller where people (such as landlords) who have never had a conversation with people who have been on the shitty end of things (such as renters) can hear other perspectives.
There have been lots of posts fro amateur landlords recently and they are full of myths and inaccuracies about landlords and tenants rights and responsibilities. It's helpful to open those conversations up when they arise, people might learn something

ALemonyPea Mon 02-May-16 08:52:28

Why are you asking?

howtorebuild Mon 02-May-16 08:53:35

It causes drama.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 02-May-16 08:53:36

People are considering different angles.

It's called chatting.

YABU

ShowOfHands Mon 02-May-16 08:53:52

You also seem to be suffering from the AIBU effect. It's not a place for discussion or support. It's an interrogation locker.

Custardo Mon 02-May-16 08:54:52

grin lemony

cos we're all vipers

GinAndColonic Mon 02-May-16 08:55:39

I like it. It's useful to get different perspectives.

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-May-16 08:58:45

And because a large amount of AIBU threads are made up old cobblers grin

thisisnotausername Mon 02-May-16 09:04:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shakey15000 Mon 02-May-16 09:07:38

Because it's human nature to question in order to get a rounded picture of the question that an OP is choosing to throw out across the world.

BIWI Mon 02-May-16 09:10:28

I'm always amazed by how many people post to criticise MN (and by definition MNetters), yet stay to post.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other sites where conversations don't happen.

You could just go on Facebook and click 'like' - using the carefully chosen emojis, so that you don't have to bother to construct any actual words in your actual brain.

JenniferYellowShat Mon 02-May-16 09:10:51

Perspectives? Chatting?

Attacking, patronising and goading more like.

DailyMailAreAFuckingJoke Mon 02-May-16 09:11:26

Trolls.
Journalists.
Inconsistencies meaning that an OP has twisted what they've said to suit the answer they are looking for.

Some of the ways that people challenge are pretty vile though. There is a definite 'pile on' mentality on some threads which I've seen loads of times. The first few posts will indicate the likely direction and then it almost becomes a free-for-all as the sheeple jostle to be the most blunt/honest/offensive to the OP. I think there are a fair few people on here who forget that there is a real person on the other side of the keyboard - and that it's completely barking to expect them to start a thread and then commit the next 24 hours to solely providing updates to MN.

JenniferYellowShat Mon 02-May-16 09:11:59

Ah BIWIW you have just given a shining example of exactly what I was posting about.

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-May-16 09:12:28

Questions are allowed. If you think something is against Talk Guidelines report it.

BIWI Mon 02-May-16 09:12:39

Hurrah! halo

But seriously. If you don't like it, why are you here?

SanityClause Mon 02-May-16 09:13:42

You don't like MN, Yellow?

There are many other websites you may prefer.

It really isn't compulsory to post, or even to lurk here.

acasualobserver Mon 02-May-16 09:13:44

Well, it's chatting transformed into a highly competitive, cut-throat sport. Tbf, AIBU has some pretty skilled players.

LittleHouseOnTheShelf Mon 02-May-16 09:13:51

Sparking YABVVVVU to think such a thing. All of the threads on AIBU are real, just like everything else on the net.

gingergenie Mon 02-May-16 09:16:11

Questioning is fine. As long as it's not antagonistic or confrontational, or just downright nasty. Sometimes it's because something needs clarification. I agree with a PP, sometimes people forget there's a real person behind it (in the main). I try to speak online as I would to someone's face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now