Advanced search

To pull out my own eye balls??

(21 Posts)
Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 07:20:22

I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have allergies

This weekend hay fever has kicked in big style

My fucking eyes are burning to fuck I want to claw them out of my head sad

Gp says no eye drops or anti histamine are safe in pregnancy

What do I do I'm in so much discomfort I honestly think pulling them out would be more pleasant

EDisFunny Mon 02-May-16 07:26:39

I feel your pain, I developed allergies in my second pregnancy and lived with a blocked nose for 8 months.

Can you use sterilised water and an eye bath? An eye bath is a shaped cup that you can fill with the sterilised water (no bacteria in it) and bathe the eye. A pharmacist suggested it when I was having tchy eyes and couldn't use eye drops or regular eye bath products.

jenniuol Mon 02-May-16 07:29:44

Hmm I was prescribed an anti histamine during pregnancy - loratidine I believe it was. I had a nasal spray at one point as well but I'm not sure what it was. I thinks it's one of these situations where you need to weigh up the severity of symptoms against the potential for side effects. I was on numerous medications at various points throughout my pregnancy. Hay fever can be completely miserable and could make for a very long summer for you if you can't take anything.

Verticalvenetianblinds Mon 02-May-16 07:31:12

Loratadine is ok, and hypermelose in fridge is amazing for eyes. Go see a pharmacist, not a gp!

jenniuol Mon 02-May-16 07:31:19

I'm not suggesting you take anything without further medical advice btw! Perhaps ask your midwife or try a different GP? And yes to doing everything you can without meds.

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 07:33:42

Thank-you I'm at the midwife tomorrow so I'll ask her then and if no luck I'll try ghe pharmacy

It's good to know people have been given things

I can cope with my nose it's just the fucking itching I'm near enough having to sit on my hands!

AtSea1979 Mon 02-May-16 07:35:37

Get a cooling eye mask in the fridge in the meantime

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 07:37:57

Will a kids cold compress do lol?

Cakescakescakes Mon 02-May-16 07:39:07

There are definitely antihistamines suitable for pregnancy. I took Piriton (chlorphenamine) and used Opticrom allergy eye drops and Beconase nasal spray. My OH is a GP and he was happy for me to use these. I was also prescribed Piriton for an allergy I had during pregnancy by another doctor. Don't be palmed off into misery.

Cakescakescakes Mon 02-May-16 07:40:12

The thing may be that some medications are not suitable in the first trimester. I think even Piriton is not suitable before 12 weeks. Now that you're further on you're dr might be happier to recommend something?

confusedandemployed Mon 02-May-16 07:41:07

I took anti histamine in pregnancy. There's no way I could have got through that summer without them, I was streaming.

Junosmum Mon 02-May-16 07:42:13

I was also given antihistamines in pregnancy due to itching!

Penfold007 Mon 02-May-16 07:46:35

The non-drowsy antihistamines as safe during pregnancy citirizine and loretadine (sp?). You can use antihistamine eye drops, the Optrex moisturising eye spray is also soothing.

miwelaisjacydo Mon 02-May-16 07:51:32

My neighbour swears by putting cold tea bags on her eyes to aid discomfort. She says it's very soothing.

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 07:51:50

See my gp told me no eye drops at all!

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Mon 02-May-16 08:13:22

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antihistamines/Pages/Who-can-use-it.aspx

Some sound advice via the NHS, OP.

Ludways Mon 02-May-16 08:13:35

Your go is out of date, more testing has been done and several antihistamine's are now deemed safe in pregnancy.

Ludways Mon 02-May-16 08:14:06

GP, not go

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 08:15:55

Thank-you for the nhs link I will print it out and take it with me!

rainbowstardrops Mon 02-May-16 08:16:23

I had antihistamines when I was pregnant for dreadful itching. I was terrified they weren't safe but the dr at the hospital said they were.
Definitely speak to your midwife.

I used antihistamines and eye drops without problems when PG - surely a negligible amount of eye drop actually enters your bloodstream anyway? hmm

Also this is definitely marked as OK in pregnancy:

www.boots.com/en/Prevalin-Allergy-140-doses_1209123/

I find it really helpful - it's not actually a drug, it just covers the inside of your nose and stops the pollen sticking. Boots do their own cheaper version, but theirs is a powder not a liquid, and I couldn't get it to spray properly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now