Talk

Advanced search

To superglue the cracks in my feet?

(24 Posts)
DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 02-May-16 06:39:22

I keep getting cracks in the skin on my arch, which itch. I then scratch them while asleep, they split, and then I'm in agony. Would household superglue applied BEFORE the scratching stage help, do you think?

NickNacks Mon 02-May-16 06:40:10

See a podiatrist!

StarlingMurmuration Mon 02-May-16 06:41:39

You could have athletes foot. Try some anti fungal cream on the flaky bits.

funniestWins Mon 02-May-16 06:42:13

I've done it on my heel and it worked.

*I'm not a Dr.

Only1scoop Mon 02-May-16 06:43:24

Chiropodist and quick confused

GinAndColonic Mon 02-May-16 06:51:17

I've used Compeed overnight cracked heel cream before and it's been great. Although they're cracked they've never split. The scholl version was hopeless.

FishWithABicycle Mon 02-May-16 06:52:42

You need flexitol heel balm urgently. It softens the hardened layers of skin on the soles of your feet and this will dramatically reduce the pain because the pain us caused by hardened skin ridges being pressed into soft flesh.

Then you need a regular regime of filing away excess skin layers so they don't build up to cracking point again.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 02-May-16 07:01:59

Thanks funniest.
It's not athlete's foot, it's normal thickness dry skin cracking in a checkerboard pattern, usually if I forget to moisturize or go barefoot. Nor is it on the contact/rubbing areas, they're fine.

expatmumsy Mon 02-May-16 07:34:10

Perhaps get a medical pedicure to get rid of all the current dry skin. They tickle like crazy but the end result is amazing! Its like having brand new feet. Then you just have to keep up with the urea cream (pref with socks) and filing, its such a drag. Hope your feet feel better soon.

MattDillonsPants Mon 02-May-16 07:35:47

Get Flexitol or scholl cracked heel....put it on then put socks on TWICE a day. Or ,more. It will be better in a week.

BettySpaghettiHasLostHerHead Mon 02-May-16 07:38:56

Flexitol is surprisingly effective - because cracked feet do look as if they could only be fixed by superglue but honestly it works. Off to the chemist/supermarket with you and no stopping at the hardware store on the way.

FruStefanOla Mon 02-May-16 08:29:13

By the arch, do you mean the top of your foot - or the underneath bit? I would have thought that superglue would be agony on cracks in normal (not thick) skin.

InsertUsernameHere Mon 02-May-16 08:31:45

Bepanthum nappy ointment works well - superglue doesn't sound a good idea!

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Mon 02-May-16 08:32:20

Podiatrist.

You'll have lovely feet and save you money in long term - from buying stuff that may not work.

charlestonchaplin Mon 02-May-16 08:38:26

You know the solution to your problem. Don't forget to moisturise! You don't have to use fancy special foot creams, one designed for dry skin will do. I suspect one which isn't designed especially for dry skin will also do too.

Windsofwinter Mon 02-May-16 08:44:59

I suffer from the same. I use Aveeno (the dry skin one), seems to stop them getting so bad. Not sure about the superglue...

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 02-May-16 08:48:00

I had this, I now sleep in fluffy socks with nivea slathered on before bed every night and now my feet are lovely.

Soap and glory foot scrubber is amazing as well.

funniestWins Mon 02-May-16 09:07:27

As I said, I've used superglue on my heels and it works well.

Here's interesting reading for those in disbelief. It's not uncommon and is quite handy in the right situations.

FruStefanOla Mon 02-May-16 09:15:53

funniest, you appear to have linked back to this thread?!

But the thing is, the OP isn't talking about hard, thick skin on his heels - but normal soft, albeit cracking, skin on his foot. So he probably needs a different type of treatment.

funniestWins Mon 02-May-16 09:20:53

Haha. Yep. My mistake.

[[ www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401557/Super-Glue-For-First-Aid.html second attempt]]

If it's dry enough to crack then surely it's not 'normal' or 'soft'. I was quick to say it had worked for me and how/where but I have no relevant qualifications.

That link I've now correctly posted to says not to use on taut skin eg "like the forehead" so perhaps it isn't suitable for the arches.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 02-May-16 10:11:48

NHS Podiatrist (on a Bank holiday day off but hey! I;m on here)

First - don't use Superglue, you're not two pieces of wood being glued together.

In the arch. Itchy. Splitting.
Are there blisters? Fluid filled?

Sounds like a fungal infection from your description BUT it could be other things like contact dermatitus or plantar dermatitus.(sp)
Could be a candida type infection

You could ask your GP to do a scraping to send off but they take a while to get a result.

Or go to your Friendly Neighbourhood Pharmacist (take a photo on your phone to show them) .

They might recommend something to relieve your immediate symptoms . Something like a topical antifungal will give you some moisture too.

If you scratch at night , you need something (light cotton socks ) to cover them and stop the nocturnal scratching --and cut your nails wink

FruStefanOla Tue 03-May-16 20:39:15

How is your foot/feet, Disgrace?

madmomma Tue 03-May-16 20:58:33

Ooh 70 whilst you're here, may I please PM you about my dd's feet? (sorry OP)

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 04-May-16 08:52:27

Update: I had a sweaty day at work and they're much better.

70: They're not itchy, they just split. I get pompholyx as well, but the cool dry conditions that cause splitting militates against the warm moist weather that triggers pompholyx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now