Talk

Advanced search

To have just roasted my first chicken at the age of 39?!

(29 Posts)
Bocolatechiscuit Sun 01-May-16 16:04:26

I've always been a bit daunted by a roast chicken for some reason-think it's the thought of it having the potential to kill the whole family by doing it wrong maybe!

Anyone else want to admit do only just having done stuff they feel they should have done years ago?

I do feel a sense of achievement btw...even seasoned it with garlic and everything! grin

Vixxfacee Sun 01-May-16 16:06:25

Well done, that should feed your family for at least a week.

edwardsmum11 Sun 01-May-16 16:06:26

I've never done a roast at 34..... Hubby cooks them at home and usually we only have them at MIL.
I didn't whistle until I was 29 lol

Ladybirdturd Sun 01-May-16 16:07:25

vixx grin

CaptainCrunch Sun 01-May-16 16:07:35

I was in my 20s before I lit my first match, I was terrified of getting burnt. Even now as a 50 year old gimmer I still hate it.

Cinderbloom Sun 01-May-16 16:08:04

Congratulations! I've just made jelly from a packet for the first time ever. God knows what my Mum did to it in the seventies to make it look so bloody difficult.

<high five>

Bocolatechiscuit Sun 01-May-16 16:08:58

vixx! grin grin grin

Bocolatechiscuit Sun 01-May-16 16:10:04

High five indeed to us chicken roasters, jelly makers and match lighters! Go us! grin

ChesterFuckingDraws Sun 01-May-16 16:10:23

I roasted my first chicken on Friday at the age of 33 and had to phone my mum to check I was doing it right 😂
Tasted lovely!

Bocolatechiscuit Sun 01-May-16 16:12:10

Oooh Chester you clever thing! You beat me by 6 years! I had no idea what I was doing really either...and when it came to carving it I told DP, 'this is going to look like a car crash, sorry'! And it did! Tasted ok though!

Thatrabbittrickedme Sun 01-May-16 16:30:20

I roasted my first chicken only a year ago (aged 37). Don't know why I thought it was so scary as I was doing lamb and beef roasts confidently for years before that!

Today I did a fantastic lamb roast for PIL. It was genuinely one of my best, but unfortunately MIL looks like she's sucked a lemon so I officially give up...

Toffeecrispy Sun 01-May-16 16:34:54

I havent roasted a turkey before, well a whole one. Only roasted turkey legs recently, takes ages to cook! Chicken is much better

Toffeecrispy Sun 01-May-16 16:35:40

And roasted first beef joint on xmas

FlowerOfTheWest Sun 01-May-16 16:37:46

You're all so accomplished! I've never roasted a chicken and I'm 36.

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sun 01-May-16 16:39:08

Ive never made a roast dinner. (Im 29) it would be wasted in my house as DC wouldnt eat it so ive no real intentions of ever doing it. grin

Vixxfacee Sun 01-May-16 22:54:02

Those whole chickens in a bag are so tasty and easy to cook!

megletthesecond Sun 01-May-16 22:56:50

My first was at 34. I'd been a veggie for years anyway so never got the chance. These days I nuke them so we don't die of food poisoning. Carcinogenic burnt bits - yes. But at least we won't puke.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 01-May-16 22:57:33

star

OhGodWhatTheHellNow Sun 01-May-16 23:00:50

I boiled my first ham last month, in the slow cooker. It was so easy and delicious, and we had enough leftover for ham sarnies for lunch boxes. I'm 50 blush

PestilentialCat Sun 01-May-16 23:01:32

I think doing a roast dinner is really difficult, & I'm a confident, accomplished cook.

Nothing happens for ages & ages, then everything happens at once. Nightmare! grin

MargotsDevil Sun 01-May-16 23:06:45

I've never roasted a chicken blush but today I made lemon tart, homemade pastry and all - I've definitely never made pastry before! Tasted pretty good though grin

mrsmeerkat Sun 01-May-16 23:08:05

I often cook roast chicken but I cooked roast lamb at Easter for the first time (I'm 37)

I cheat on Fridays and buy a cooked chicken .. its so quick and easy

BlueMoonRising Sun 01-May-16 23:16:48

I cooked my first roast chicken aged 16. I feel like I'm in the wrong thread...

Well done to all you roasting chickens and making pastry for the first time though!

(If it helps balance things out, I've never eaten a caper or an anchovy.)

BillBrysonsBeard Mon 02-May-16 01:00:05

I was just thinking this today OP! I like cooking but have never roasted any meat. I buy pre roasted chickens from the supermarket, figured they would do a better job than me!
I

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 02-May-16 06:16:57

The supermarket chickens don't have enough butter in them grin.

Well done OP, better late than never. Did you baste it? If not, next time butter it well and then baste every 30 minutes, not forgetting to stick a long spoon up its bum and tip out the juices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now