Talk

Advanced search

To think 250 questions is excessive for 4-5yo's?

(13 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 01-May-16 11:56:04

My DD is 4 and in Reception, each week they have homework, read at least 3 times a week, practice their words/sounds and do maths questions on a website/app called Sumdog. The teacher sets the maths challenge which becomes available to do on a friday afternoon at 4pm, the children have until 8.30am on the following wednesday. But the challenge is to answer 250 questions! I think this is excessive, especially for those parents who have more than one child that has homework to do on Sumdog.

AIBU to think this is excessive?

whois Sun 01-May-16 11:57:36

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY????

Surely that has to be a mistake?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 01-May-16 12:07:06

FuckSanta Sun 01-May-16 12:08:19

Fucking hideous.

Creatureofthenight Sun 01-May-16 12:08:22

That is beyond ridiculous.

FinallyHere Sun 01-May-16 12:08:46

Not sure how its a problem for a parent, to supervise more than one child doing homework. You are there just to encourage keep them at it til its all done, not do it for them, aren't you? Great to help them think through how to do it themselves, utterly pointless to be doing it for them. What would they learn from that?

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 01-May-16 12:11:05

Depends really. Is it sumdog or something? Although ds is older, he can rattle through a 100 sum challenge in 10 minutes on it because it's playing a game but with maths.

Creatureofthenight Sun 01-May-16 12:12:17

I think the problem OP meant is if two children need to use the same site, they can't do it at the same time.
Quite apart from the other problem of a four year old spending hours on maths homework.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 01-May-16 12:12:25

That'll teach me to read thoroughly... You mention it was sumdog. You'll be surprised how quickly they get through it and how much fun they find it.

Littlefish Sun 01-May-16 12:13:06

I think that's ridiculous, and I'm a nursery/reception class teacher.

DisappointedOne Sun 01-May-16 12:13:13

My reception aged child has 1-2 (Welsh)?book(s) to read per week. That's it. Doesn't matter whether she reads them or not but she does enjoy them. She's way ahead in maths and language without the need for excessive homework (which has been proven in multiple studies to be a waste of time for primary aged children).

redskytonight Sun 01-May-16 12:21:10

How long does it actually take your child to do them though? And do they "have" to do all of them? I thought the idea sumdog was to work through and progress at your own pace, so I'd just tell your child to do (say) 2 10 minute stints and do as much as they can.

whois Sun 01-May-16 12:30:02

I used to have a maths and spelling computer game - there were lots of arcade style games. Suppose I could have gone through quite a lot of 'questions' on that but still 250 is a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now