Talk

Advanced search

to hate this obsession with Sunday Lunch.

(356 Posts)
fckUsundaylunch Sun 01-May-16 11:39:06

Yes I get that years ago everybody worked long hours and Sunday was the only time people could gather together to eat.
But times have changed.

If I get up on a Sunday and it's a really nice day, rather than spend all morning cooking, we will go out for the day.
We'll have the Sunday lunch on another day during the week..
I don't want my whole day to revolve around a meal.

My DM is always horrified ^But You have to have Sunday Lunch!''
'How can you not have Sunday Lunch?
Me Why?
DM ''Because it's Sunday!''
I think she would have a hear attack if I told her that sometimes we live really dangerously and go a whole month without seeing a roast potato grin

Before the food police have a go, I cook really healthy meals, and we sit down to eat as a family on a regular basis,
just not always on a Sunday.

Anybody else have older parents who think this way?

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 01-May-16 11:40:54

Doesn't look like it brew.

fckUsundaylunch Sun 01-May-16 11:41:44

They are out there. I know it grin

TheCatsMeow Sun 01-May-16 11:43:19

It annoys me too. For one I bloody hate roast dinner, plus I don't want to spend Sunday cooking. Why do people get so enraged by that? Ex PIL thought I was some sort of monster for this.

Food traditions in general are weird. I go out for an Indian at Christmases.

CodyKing Sun 01-May-16 11:43:41

We too do this - I will join you in living dangerously on the edge!!

DM lives in a different country so we are safe for now!

Oysterbabe Sun 01-May-16 11:45:23

Yabu. Roast lamb and mint sauce is my death row meal. I wouldn't have time to cook it on another day. Although I'm happy to have a roast in a pub after a walk or something.

StealthPolarBear Sun 01-May-16 11:45:42

You do have Sunday lunch. Presumably you have some thing to eat on a Sunday grin
I agree, and I'd extend the irritation to the obsession with a "hot dinner" which I do not understandwhy us considered to be more nutritious than a cold dinner.

EponasWildDaughter Sun 01-May-16 11:45:59

YANBU
My mum isn't like this about Sunday Lunch, but she is pretty old fashioned about a lot of other stuff. (Babies on feeding schedules ect) But the thing is she IS old fashioned; she's nearly 80.

Have your rant OP, and some flowers grin

fckUsundaylunch Sun 01-May-16 11:46:35

Not having Sunday lunch is right up there with other cardinal sins, such as hanging your knickers on the line in the wrong order.

TheCastMeow, going for an Indian meal at Christmas sounds amazing. Why not!

Tiopyn Sun 01-May-16 11:47:30

I've always enjoyed having a Sunday lunch, but I hate spending half my weekend shopping, cooking and washing up so don't think I would ever make it a weekly habit!
Same with going out for Sunday lunch as it's always really busy.

Different times, different families, different arrangements - people do what works for them. smile

expatinscotland Sun 01-May-16 11:47:49

MIL is like this. We live far away now.

TheCatsMeow Sun 01-May-16 11:49:05

fckUsundaylunch it's great! No cooking, the restaurant is fairly quiet, food is lovely, and then I come back to a clean house that doesn't smell of dinner for the next few days! grin

CiderwithBuda Sun 01-May-16 11:49:38

Well we usually have a roast on a Sunday but only have it at lunchtime if we are having people over and even then it is a late lunch so would be eating around 3.

We are have no roast pork today but will eat about 6.30 as usual.

EponasWildDaughter Sun 01-May-16 11:49:40

I'm genuinely wondering what i'll be all cat's bum faced about with my kids when i'm old.

There'll be something.

<thinks>

Crinkle77 Sun 01-May-16 11:49:48

I love a Sunday Roast and always had one every week when I was living with my parents. However I think if had one every week I would get fed up of them so only have them every few weeks these days.

OvO Sun 01-May-16 11:49:53

I don't know anyone like this. I don't know anyone who does the whole roast every Sunday thing.

WhoisLucasHood Sun 01-May-16 11:50:00

I love a Sunday Roast, one of my favourite meals and try to do one every week, I'm a lazy cook though and don't spend all day in the kitchen however I did go for a curry on Xmas Day.

Jengnr Sun 01-May-16 11:50:26

What is the knicker order?

originalmavis Sun 01-May-16 11:50:33

My mum used to make the best Sunday roast. I really miss it, but there's no point roasting half a cow when there's just one carnivore around here!

VodkaJelly Sun 01-May-16 11:50:37

I bloody love Sunday lunch, it has to be my favourite meal, but we only have it about once a month, its a combination of DP not being in the mood to cook one or I can't be added with the mess and washing up. Growing up we rarely had Sunday dinner, my grandmother had a Sunday dinner every week and couldn't understand my parents weirdness of not having them!

FirstWeTakeManhattan Sun 01-May-16 11:50:47

We don't get to eat as a family the rest of the week, so we do have a 'special' Sunday meal. It's never, ever at lunchtime though, usually around 5 -6 p.m.

I don't really know anyone who recoils in horror at the thought of no traditional Sunday lunch, but yes, I agree that they're probably out there

greengreenten Sun 01-May-16 11:50:51

Agree. My DH is old fashioned and wants roast with gravy, sauce, stuffing, vegs, Yorkshire puds and seems happy to spend all afternoon cooking it and for me to spend all evening washing up greasy pans that won't fit in the dishwasher.

I know that he does it to have some peace and quiet, puts the kitchen tv on and zones out. Pretty anti social actually.

I've hijacked Sundays and we have a pot roast with veg chucked in the pot. Done with Sunday faffing.

Grilledaubergines Sun 01-May-16 11:50:59

We don't have a roast dinner every week, maybe only once every six weeks or so. But we do treat our main meal on Sunday as a bit more special, i.e out for lunch or something a bit fancier and always do dessert on Sunday as we don't have it on any other day. We treat Saturday evening as a reason to have something with a bit more oomph too.

EatShitDerek Sun 01-May-16 11:51:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoreenLethal Sun 01-May-16 11:51:28

We are veggie and have roast dinner on a sunday evening.

Because we are veggie, it takes an hour from start to serve. I really enjoy cooking and eating it. I don't do the pots himself does and I prepare it listening to Jarvis Cocker or one of his stand ins. And I chop all the veg trimmings and use them to feed my wormery. Win-win.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now