Talk

Advanced search

To not want my friend to bring another friend along when she comes to stay

(10 Posts)
TigerPath Sat 30-Apr-16 20:36:09

We recently moved to the South Coast, to a popular holiday town.

One of my friends is keen to visit, we arranged a date, she is coming for a long weekend. She has now asked if she can bring a friend, a woman I've never met! She wants someone to share the driving with (it's a 5-hour drive) and the cost of petrol. I suspect she is also a bit nervous as she's shy and has never met my DH or stayed overnight before.

Her friend sounds nice enough and they've known each other since school... but I don't really want her here! I was looking forward to time with my friend. I have a 9-month-old so we won't be going out in the evenings much but equally I don't want to be left at home while they go out! I don't want my home used as a base for 'their' holiday. Also there's the extra expense of hosting another person.

Space isn't an issue as we have an ensuite guestroom with twin beds, but I feel uncomfortable having a stranger stay.

AIBU to say no?

VimFuego101 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:38:26

Of course YANBU. She's using you as a hotel.

Justmuddlingalong Sat 30-Apr-16 20:38:31

If you are running a hotel then YABU. If you are running a home, then no, absolutely not BU to say no.

whois Sat 30-Apr-16 20:41:16

Uh, no that's a strange request. Will totally change the dynamic. Why on earth would this other person want to come and stay anyway??

FlowerOfTheWest Sat 30-Apr-16 20:42:12

No, YANBU, I wouldn't want someone I had never met before staying with me either. But your friend is kind of in the same position as she has never met your DH, so she's also staying with a stranger and is maybe nervous about that and wants her other friend along for moral support.
Is there any way they could both stay in a B and B and just meet up with you in the daytime? It does sound like they want a holiday which is not really fair on you. You invited your friend and it changes the dynamics having someone else along. I know it's awkward, but if it was me, I'd have to say something.

MeadowHay Sat 30-Apr-16 20:44:18

No, YANBU, and it's extremely rude to ask someone who is hosting you if you can also bring a friend i.e. another person for them to host! I am gobsmacked that someone would even ask that, especially if it's someone you have never met before!

Penvelopesnightie Sat 30-Apr-16 20:47:01

My new sil did this to me . I invited her for a weekend with me ( in the country) and she then asked if she could bring her sister is never met . So I just said " I invited you so we could spend some time together and relax , I don't know your sister and would feel uncomfortable ".

Butttons Sat 30-Apr-16 20:48:09

This happened to me when I lived abroad - i invited a friend to stay and she invited her friend along for the ride. I was quite put out at the time as I felt like my company wasn't "enough" IYKWIM and felt like she was just using me as a base while she and her friend had a good time

YANBU

NoCapes Sat 30-Apr-16 20:48:40

YANBU
Of course you're not

howtorebuild Sat 30-Apr-16 20:50:16

The friend sounds like she could be prone to be pushed around and may be pleased you're saying no to the extra guest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now