Talk

Advanced search

When first First aid kit is out of date.

(5 Posts)
Freeandsinglewater Sat 30-Apr-16 14:50:58

I'm tidying my car up, and have noticed that all my first aid kit is out of date. 2009/10.

Should I throw the lot away?
Or
Keep it?

Mavisblewitt Sat 30-Apr-16 14:53:49

Keep it if it's just bandages, dressings, plasters etc. as long as they're sealed and dry they should be ok. Putting expiry dates on dressings really bugs me, if my arm was hanging off I'm not going to care if the bandage is out of date! 😉

girlywhirly Sat 30-Apr-16 14:57:08

But do replace stuff like antiseptic wound wipes and cream, painkillers, insect bite stuff etc.

Freeandsinglewater Sat 30-Apr-16 14:58:47

Thanks.
it seems like such a waste.

funniestWins Sat 30-Apr-16 15:25:29

Freeandsinglewater - it seems like such a waste.

Be happy you haven't used it smile

Plasters can stop being sticky so worth replacing. Gloves can become stuck together so replace them. Honestly though, I'd keep it all. The actual fist aid stuff ie. the things that keep you alive until an ambulance arrives will all be fine as long as they're still sterile. Agree though that things that aren't first aid but still handy (wipes, paracetamol, insect sting cream, antiseptic cream and calpol sachets - the extras in our cars) should be replaced within a year or two of expiring.

We found cocaine vials when going through my grandfather's medicine kit after he died. That was out of date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now