Talk

Advanced search

to be hacked off at Nationwide security

(33 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 12:54:32

I need a new card because mine has been mangled in an atm.

15 min wait before I get through. Explain I need a new card and why.

I conform when asked my name, address, postcode and dob.

I then get asked if I have any other accounts with them and if so can I tell them one.

I say yes, I have a savings/passbook a count with x in. He says I need to tell him the name of the account, not my name, but like SaverPlus or whatever.

So I tell him he'll have to wait while I unearth my passbook which I haven't used in years. I'm rooting through my drawer and can't find it but find another passbook for a nationwide isa in my name. Tell him ive found this passbook and the account is instantIsa. He tells me ive failed security because I can't tell him the name of the account i first mentioned. Literally before he finished his sentence I found the passbook and told him the account name. But he said its too late! Once he's told me ive not passed he can't go back!

He told me to ring again and talk to someone else and that I would pass.

I'm going to ring again and tell them I'm moving all three accounts!! grin

Pipbin Sat 30-Apr-16 12:56:55

So you aren't happy because their security was too good?
How dare they put systems into place to stop people stealing your money and identity. The bastards.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 12:59:35

No not at all.

I'm unhappy because he couldn't use his common sense when I had answered all the security questions correctly.

Barclays don't have security like this. Ive never been asked about any other accounts....it's name, address, dob, mother's maiden name type stuff.

WorraLiberty Sat 30-Apr-16 13:01:23

Wherever you move your three accounts too, will also follow this standard procedure.

A very similar thing happened to me with Santander. It's par for the course and I simply rang back.

Yes it's annoying, but they're looking after your money.

SecretSpy Sat 30-Apr-16 13:02:20

When I've phoned them they ask about other accounts and what's the limit on my CC. I'm never sure I only spend a tiny bit on it each month

WorraLiberty Sat 30-Apr-16 13:02:40

It has nothing to do with common sense.

Like he said, they can't go back on the computer once you've failed.

Otherwise fraudsters could just sit there guessing all sorts of things.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:03:30

Years ago I was on holiday and had a similar problem. Card swallowed by an atm and couldn't pass nationwide security. Who would know the name of a savings account they rarely use when they're on holiday hundreds of miles from their passbook?

So I was left hundreds of miles away on my own with no cash on day 1 of a week's holiday.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:05:18

I just don't really understand why it's such a problem when I just want a card sent to my registered address. The one they're going to send a card to in a couple of months anyway as my card expires.

Will just wait till then. It's an account I don't use very often so guess I can manage without a card till August.

treaclesoda Sat 30-Apr-16 13:05:35

I think it is a bit ridiculous. I'm all for tight security but sometimes the questions are illogical. Eg I rang because I couldn't access my statements online, and the security questions were all about my last statement, eg date of last statement, last debit card transaction on the statement. Since they were online statements, which I couldn't access, I obviously couldn't answer them. I could have told them dozens of other things that would verify my identity confused

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 30-Apr-16 13:06:55

My bank's security procedures involve a memorable word, questions about your most recent transactions (ie not on your bank statement yet) and things that only the customer would be able to answer.
Your sounds over the top and aimed at the bank not the customer.
I'd move.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:07:41

Barclays don't do this at all.

I have a little widget I can put my card into for authorising any online banking. Or I have an app on my phone I can put a 5 digit PIN number in and do stuff and then I can ring from my app and don't have to go through any security at all because ive already signed into the app. Did this the other week and stopped various direct debits without having to answer a single security question.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:09:13

And the time I was on holiday and my nationwide card was swallowed I went into barclays. Explained I have an account with them but didn't have my card with me. Told them sensible stuff like name, address, dob and a regular dd and they asked me how much cash I needed.

Pipbin Sat 30-Apr-16 13:10:03

I'm unhappy because he couldn't use his common sense when I had answered all the security questions correctly.

They don't get to use their common sense. How can the call operators just decide that you are telling the truth? It is not up to him. These systems are there to keep your money safe.

If you do want to move to another bank then I will urge you to look into how ethical they all are. Some are utter cocks when it comes to the business they fund.

dementedpixie Sat 30-Apr-16 13:14:04

Nationwide also has online banking you use a card reader for. Could you have ordered a card that way instead?

treaclesoda Sat 30-Apr-16 13:16:18

I used to work in a bank where we asked security questions when people rang. We didn't have access to the answers to the questions we were asking Eg dates of birth etc. We only asked because we had to be seen by customers and regulators to have security in place. In reality we didn't.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:17:44

Don't think I'm Registered for online banking with them, don't have a card reader that ive noticed.

I've got three current accounts which is probably one too many. I used to have the nationwide one for using abroad but they've stopped the benefit of this which I think was no fee or a much lower fee for using it abroad. Think this is probably the nudge I need to close it down.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 30-Apr-16 13:19:24

Yanbu. I worked in banking for years and dh still does. This was nothing to do with security and everything to do with him being a twat.

I'd also complain.

Treaclesoda if that happened now the FCA would issue an enormous fine.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:21:12

Took me ages to pass the student loans company security questions recently. Thankfully if you get one wrong they keep asking you stuff till you get one right.

First one place of birth. I said an answer like Stafford (not real place of birth), she said no that's not correct. I told her I could assure her it was. grin. So she asked me something else which I also got wrong. Asked me a third question which I got right.

She then said the answer for my first question was Staffordshire not Stafford!

Second question problem was something equally crazy.

All I'd wanted was a deferral form!

treaclesoda Sat 30-Apr-16 13:21:26

I failed the security questions with HMRC once. They asked for my employers postcode, so I gave it, but it didn't match their system. When I explained that I had the correct postcode and theirs must be wrong (I had a payslip in front of me which was on company headed paper) they told me that wasn't relevant because I had to be able to tell them what was on their system. How on earth could I know what was on their system, there are thousands of different possibilities confusedgrin

treaclesoda Sat 30-Apr-16 13:24:05

Moving possibly, but only if they found out about it. When auditors visited, they asked the staff about security measures, and we dutifully replied that we asked for DOB or whatever, and they ticked a box. But they didn't actually see the computer system in action, so they didn't know that the DOB wasn't recorded on it.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:28:51

That's hilarious Treacle.

DingbatsFur Sat 30-Apr-16 13:31:55

Thing is, if you were an evil fraudster and he let you through in the scenario you listed above and then you stole all the money from the accounts, then the guy who helped you would be held partially responsible.
My cousin worked in a bank call center, she let someone through who passed all the security questions, but they were an evil fraudster who had robbed the true person's house. She was suspended without pay because she didn't spot that the evil person was speaking in the wrong regional accent.

DingbatsFur Sat 30-Apr-16 13:33:09

(Or in a suitably evil frandster voice with a cackle and a moustache twirl...)

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 30-Apr-16 13:37:58

That's crazy Dingbats. I can understand staff not wanting to get it wrong. But surely even his computer wouldn't let him go back if he had already hit a button could he not start again rather than making me queue up on the phone for another 15mins?

If he couldn't then it's not his fault but it is the fault of nationwide for not having g that facility in place. Plus expecting people to know the name of their savings account is a tad obscure.

mininionsteve Sat 30-Apr-16 13:56:06

Have to agree, constantly have problems because of the security. The people on the phones aren't very helpful either. Even the app is hard to get into. Have no issues with my other banks. Yet when I go away I have to pack loads of nationwide gumpf just incase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now