...to be annoyed at being overlooked at work?

(19 Posts)
GreenBaizePacker Fri 29-Apr-16 20:07:14

Sometimes there are emergency requirements at work which mean out of hours working. This weekend there are 3 shifts that require this. The shifts are all daytime but count as out of hours because of weekend and bank hol. There are 4 people who are able to do this role and are available. It's really crucial work, great for experience, a good development opportunity and attracts extra money.

Shifts were all allocated and I wasn't given one because "GBP, you live further away so we'll cover it between the rest of us." I live 60 mins from work and the others approx 15-20 mins and am really cross about this. Surely not fair to have been overlooked just for having a longer commute? This sort of opportunity doesn't come up often - last time was July last year.

I raised it with the senior who allocated the shifts and she brushed it off saying that I shouldn't feel overlooked or excluded and to enjoy my bank holiday weekend.

I'm torn between thinking this is faintly ridiculous and I'm fussing over nothing but on the other hand thinking I'm rightfully annoyed and should take it further.

Gizlotsmum Fri 29-Apr-16 20:25:58

Has this happened before?

PastaLaFeasta Fri 29-Apr-16 20:33:56

Could you approach this positively rather than as a moan about what's just happened? Perhaps bring it up in your next 1-2-1 or review as a development opportunity and have the next slot promised to you?

GreenBaizePacker Fri 29-Apr-16 23:24:31

Not happened before that I've noticed. Now I'm going over every previous assignment of tasks and wondering.

MattDillonsPants Sat 30-Apr-16 00:37:25

If it's not happened before look at it like this. The person responsible for allocating simply looked for a reason to exclude. They found your distance to be an adequate reason.

I agree that it's not but I would not get too upset if it's not regularly happening.

funniestWins Sat 30-Apr-16 04:56:29

I wouldn't get upset and just tell whoever's responsible that you'd like the opportunity to do it in future as "It's really crucial work, great for experience and a good development opportunity."

funniestWins Sat 30-Apr-16 04:58:02

Posted too soon.

If it has happened before then just assume it's for the same reason. If it happens after you let her know how keen you are then perhaps it's time to think more of it.

GraysAnalogy Sat 30-Apr-16 05:02:24

Is it on call?

I can understand your feelings but can't help but think they thought they were doing you a favour if your distance was a factor. Perhaps just say something like 'id like the be involved next time' and see what they say?

curren Sat 30-Apr-16 06:23:18

I know you feel you have missed out. But someone had to miss out 3 shifts for 4 people.

To be honest it sound like it was done as a favour. You live further away.

I would only be annoyed and take it further if it keeps happening. Make clear you want to do this and want to be considered in future.

Personally I think annoyed and taking it further is an over reaction. If it keeps happening, fair enough.

29redshoes Sat 30-Apr-16 07:16:08

I'd be annoyed too. I agree with others though, the best way to approach is probably to leave it this time but to make it really clear that next time you want to do one of the shifts (play up the development aspects and perhaps downplay the extra money).

As you're the only one who missed out you should really have first refusal next time they come up.

OliviaStabler Sat 30-Apr-16 07:39:48

Maybe they were trying to be kind? As you live further away, it would take you longer in travelling time than anyone else and take more time away from the Bank Holiday weekend than those that live close to your place of work.

I agree with a PP, at you next catch up with your manager, just say that you'd like to have first refusal the next time the situation arises for your personal development.

witsender Sat 30-Apr-16 07:42:37

I would just swallow it but say "I really don't mind the commute and would love to be involved...so I'll be happy to take my turn next time."

TendonQueen Sat 30-Apr-16 08:04:22

Will this be the way it works for the next bank holiday weekend at the end of May? If so put your name down for that now.

Laura812 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:31:32

Why not suggest next time as you want to do it one of the others drops out? I suspect there is no legal duty to give any of you over time so hard to make legal claims over it and that might lead to the sack anyway but if it were because you were black or female then discrimination law might come into it. Better just in a friendly manner say next time you 'd like it noted it is your turn and make sure that's in an email of which you keep a copy and remind them a bit nearer the time too.

Laura812 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:32:04

You could ask your colleagues - the other 3 if they want to do it of course too because they might prefer not to and not realise that you would be delighted to step in and need the money.

TutanKaDashian Sat 30-Apr-16 10:05:13

Yes, you have a right to be annoyed. Especially as it was framed like that, but one person had to miss out on the shift. Can you say to your manager that you would like to be top of the list for next time this situation arises?

RandyMagnum Sat 30-Apr-16 11:43:29

Is it on call work? My on call work stipulates I need to be within 30 minutes of work incase of a call. Does your place have a similar policy?

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 30-Apr-16 12:12:02

Is it on call work? My on call work stipulates I need to be within 30 minutes of work incase of a call. Does your place have a similar policy?

This is exactly what I was going to say.

GreenBaizePacker Sat 30-Apr-16 19:10:10

No it's timed work with set start and finish hours. I'm not eligible for on call because of the 30 mins thing which I totally appreciate.

I know someone had to miss out - and even if she did pick me for that reason maybe she shouldn't have said?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now