Talk

Advanced search

to think that this person who parked behind me was BU?

(24 Posts)
FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 08:38:25

Was at work yesterday, the only parking nearby is the community car park just down the road. It is usually pretty full and no marked spaces as such everyone just sort of parks in such a way as to try and fit as many people in as possible.

As I ride a motorbike and can fit into smaller spaces than cars I usually try and squeeze myself next to a tree or something so I am as out of the way as possible but on this occasion I couldn't get into my 'usual' spot so I had to park in a normal space next to a car.

I get back from work to find that a big transit type van has parked next to me/behind me - basically at a right angle to my back wheel, about a foot away.

Aibu to think that this person was being a nobhead for parking so bloody close to me! I mean, I know a bike is smaller than a car but come on! There was so little room that I actually couldn't reverse out of the space as there was not enough room for me to turn without hitting the van so I had to get off and push it backwards.

Aibu or is how he parked ok? Wibu to leave a passive aggressive note asking him nicely not to park so bloody close if he does it again?

PotOfYoghurt Fri 29-Apr-16 09:30:20

But if you could get out, then surely there was enough room?

HappyHippyChick Fri 29-Apr-16 09:35:43

OP couldn't get out though, they had to push their bike out, it's the same as saying it's ok that someone parked so close to your drivers door that you couldn't get in, because you could get in through the passenger side and climb over.

WaitrosePigeon Fri 29-Apr-16 09:37:18

People that do this get a shitty note left via pritt-stick on their drivers window.

FuckSanta Fri 29-Apr-16 09:37:29

So if you had reversed in there would have been no problem?

Gatehouse77 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:40:13

My mum used to write PIG across their windscreen in lipstick so they could read it from inside, as lipstick was harder to get off.
I liked her style grin

funniestWins Fri 29-Apr-16 10:06:41

Gatehouse77

Your Mum sounds like an arse.

OP

There was so little room that I actually couldn't reverse out of the space as there was not enough room for me to turn without hitting the van so I had to get off and push it backwards

You could reverse out or you couldn't? Isn't pushing it backwards the same as reversing as I assume your bike doesn't have reverse gear anyway.

Why would you need to turn if you can reverse out?

I really can't understand the situation?

littleducks Fri 29-Apr-16 10:17:15

Assume the bike doesn't have reverse hmm

FuckSanta Fri 29-Apr-16 10:18:35

She wheeled it out in reverse. hmmhmm

araiba Fri 29-Apr-16 10:22:54

i always have to push my bike backwards as it has no reverse gear

you mean you had to go out backwards because you didnt have space to turn around so you could drive out forwards?

funniestWins Fri 29-Apr-16 10:25:04

Assume the bike doesn't have reverse

Some bigger bikes do. hmm

She wheeled it out in reverse

In which case there was room and nothing for her to complain about shockhmmbiscuit

If there was no room for her to reverse then how could she push it backwards. The mirrors and handlebars on my bike are the limiting factor when I'm moving backwards. I'm also nowhere near strong enough to keep it upright unless I'm next to it or straddling it.

funniestWins Fri 29-Apr-16 10:26:49

edit: The mirrors and handlebars on my bike are the limiting factor when I'm moving backwards fitting through gaps.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 14:45:24

I was parked at an angle (everyone was) so I needed to turn slightly (backwards) to be able to get out but I couldn't do so because the van was parked so close. I had another car parked on the other side of me. I don't have a reverse gear.

I had to get off, go round the front of the bike and push it backwards because there was not enough room for me to get out while sitting on the bike as my leg and the bike wouldn't fit through the gap if you see what I mean.

HoneyDragon Fri 29-Apr-16 14:48:30

I got what you meant in your first post. Van driver was an entitled pillock

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 17:20:58

I'm wondering if I should leave a note next time, I have seen this particular van parked in that car park many times before and they often park like a bit of a dick so I don't want it to become a regular occurance!

LadyB49 Fri 29-Apr-16 17:25:49

In future park facing outwards ready to drive off.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 17:31:25

I can't do that in this car park as it is narrow, so not enough room to turn around in it without hitting another car and comes directly off the main road which would mean I'd have to reverse into the car park from the main road. No one in the whole car park reverses in for the aforementioned reason.

FuckSanta Fri 29-Apr-16 18:32:54

Makes no sense. All of your manouvrability is in the front whether you're a car, van or bike. Parking in an awkward and narrow car park forwards makes it more difficult and dangerous to get out in reverse than getting in would be!

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 19:03:53

Its quite difficult to explain without a picture but trust me, you could not get in this car park if you were to reverse in. You would have to stop in the middle of the road, turn round and reverse down the middle of the car park, then find a space and park. I certainly wouldn't like to do it on a heavy bike with no reverse gear. It wouldn't be possible to turn around to reverse into a space once in the car park as you would end up hitting another car its so narrow and usually very full of cars.

Reversing out is never normally a problem. Much more of a problem when someone parks right behind and beside you.

FuckSanta Fri 29-Apr-16 20:10:31

Are you all reversing out of the car park into the road then?

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Apr-16 21:07:49

No, the car park is on a one way system with an entrance at one end and an exit at the other so everyone just drives out the other end.

funniestWins Sat 30-Apr-16 03:15:10

I can't really imagine the situation you're describing where you can't reverse in but think that's down to my lack of imagination.

I'm wondering if I should leave a note next time, I have seen this particular van parked in that car park many times before and they often park like a bit of a dick so I don't want it to become a regular occurrence!

Yes. Write the letter when you're not annoyed by him so it's more of a friendly request as opposed to YPLAC. The driver does sound like she's being incredibly inconsiderate though. Were they also blocking in the cars next to you?

I don't know what bike you have but be careful moving the bike backwards the way you did. It can be really hard to hold a bike upright when you have such little leverage.

Toffeecrispy Sat 30-Apr-16 04:50:59

They probably dont realise how bikes work and thought you would be able to get out okay. I think its unreasonable for anyone to park so close to someone.
Couple days ago had someone park so close to my drivers side in a super market carpark when on their drivers side was several empty spaces, then when i said to him why are you so close to me with all that room he said "im moving in a minute" its not the point, i could of been a larger person or something i had to sqeeze in to get into my car and hitting his door

FuckSanta Sat 30-Apr-16 14:59:50

I drive a lowered sports car with bucket seats. At 41.5 weeks pregnant and the size of a house someone watched me park on the end of a row at the doctors' surgery, climb roll out and go in before parking their car on the hatchings next to my driver's side. There was less then 12 inches between the cars. After my appt I went into the waiting room and asked whoever had parked there to come and move their car. The idiot muttered about me being "a fucking pain" and said he couldn't see why I couldn't just get in the other side and climb over. (There was about 2.5 ft the other side which I wouldn't have fitted through anyway!). I was hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now