Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at Dd's friend's tampon experience

(344 Posts)
EdithBouvierBeale Thu 28-Apr-16 21:52:09

DD is ten and her class just had the period chat at school. One little girl, whose mum is a GP, was shown how to insert a tampon. Her mother demonstrated on herself by lying on her bed while her 10 year old DD watched. shock

DailyMailFuckingFail Thu 28-Apr-16 21:54:15

I think that's quite cool, actually.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:01

Oh. Wow.

I'm really open with my dd but that's crossing a line. Ewwwww.

NewLife4Me Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:12

shock me too.

I showed mine how to use a towel with a pair of her knickers.
We were both dressed and no fanjo on show.
Surely they don't need tampons at such a young age. If the dd started now, would she give her tampons?

LitteRedSparkle Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:21

Who puts in a tampon lying down??

newtscamander Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:25

What le fook...

claraschu Thu 28-Apr-16 21:57:00

I think that's great. I takes away some of the disgust and embarrassment over a perfectly natural biological function.

BlueMoonRising Thu 28-Apr-16 21:57:00

The mum is a GP. She will be used to seeing all things body related on a daily basis.

It's not what I would do, but I don't have an issue with it. That is, of course, assuming the girl is telling the truth.

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 28-Apr-16 21:57:21

Why not? Whatever works for them.. Sounds like they have a great relationship.

I probably would duck out of an actual demo, but would to think I'd be this uninhibited.

pieceofpurplesky Thu 28-Apr-16 21:57:53

I don't think my arms are long enough to put a tampon in lying down misses point

ScarletForYa Thu 28-Apr-16 21:57:54

No. That's a bridge too far imo.

AnnieNoMouse Thu 28-Apr-16 21:58:02

Good for them

claraschu Thu 28-Apr-16 21:58:05

She must have been lying down so her daughter could see

TyrionLannistersShadow Thu 28-Apr-16 21:58:25

I am very glad my own mother didn't decide to show me like that, I think it would have put me off using them for life grin

NewLife4Me Thu 28-Apr-16 21:58:33

I've told mine they exist and shown her the packet so she knows what they look like.
She was a bit scared tbh and said she could never see herself doing that grin
I said maybe she'll change her mind when she was older and either were fine.

God help the conversation I have to have about why she might want to forget ever using them. sad

UterusUterusGhali Thu 28-Apr-16 21:59:43

My daughter would probably vomit if I'd done that.

I see fanjoes all the time at work, but a child shouldn't have to see their mum's holiest of holeys.

EdithBouvierBeale Thu 28-Apr-16 22:00:51

My friend's dad is a gynaecologist. When she got her period, her dad showed her how to insert a tampon correctly. But, I just don't understand why you would show a ten year old on yourself. Surely a nice diagram would do grin

Wanderingwondering Thu 28-Apr-16 22:01:39

Wow that's taking it a bit far! Although I have a very clear memory of my mum persuading me to get over my squeamishness about using non applicator tampons by saying briskly 'well, you seem to have no problem putting your finger up your nose-it's no different!'
I still think of this pretty much every time I use one!

ThisWasCrownjewel Thu 28-Apr-16 22:01:53

Sorry but if my mum had done that when I was ten, it would have scarred me for life 😖

Maryz Thu 28-Apr-16 22:02:48

I think showing your dd something like this is a great thing to do. I would have done it, but dd would never have agreed, because I'm embarrassing.

My dd learned in school. The younger girls went into the toilet cubicles and had instructions shouted in to them by the older girls (the prefects iirc). dd was about 12, and was delighted, mostly because she wouldn't listen to me.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 28-Apr-16 22:04:56

I think that's horrendous, even as a medical professional

OliviaStabler Thu 28-Apr-16 22:05:02

That's a major Ewwww from me

tillyann2013 Thu 28-Apr-16 22:05:34

I still remember my lovely mum showing me too, not on herself though, I would have been mortified. She dipped it in a glass of water to show me how it expanded. Ah, miss you mum sad

HumphreyCobblers Thu 28-Apr-16 22:06:26

presumably the mother and daughter have the kind of relationship where they are natural and relaxed around bodies? I think it normalises the situation and the yuck reaction is due to how UNrelaxed most of us are around other people and their bodies.

SuckingEggs Thu 28-Apr-16 22:07:44

This thread is making me clench.

shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now