To hate my "Smart" central heating controller?

(12 Posts)
Absinthe9 Thu 28-Apr-16 16:50:52

Had a new boiler installed and was talked into a "smart" controller which has proved to be anything but. I have given up trying to use it via the web or the app as it has always fallen off the internet.

Have spoken to customer services and been talked through getting it back on, but the next time I look at it, it has disconnected again. AIBU to feel nostalgic about the very basic circular twiddly themostat it replaced?

MrsDeVere Thu 28-Apr-16 17:12:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 28-Apr-16 17:15:52

Hive is a bloody nuisance. Randomly logs my phone out so it becomes next to useless!

Absinthe9 Thu 28-Apr-16 17:49:04

Yes it's a Hive. I agree about the randomness. I came down this morning and could have had a sauna in my living room. I hate to think what my bills will be like!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 28-Apr-16 17:50:41

Get Nest. Miles and miles and miles better.

Technoremix Thu 28-Apr-16 18:04:40

Oh, we have hive and I like it! It's good if you're coming home from holiday!

And I like being able to turn the heating on from my bed if I have an early start!

MrsJamin Thu 28-Apr-16 18:20:00

Nest and tado are great.we have the smoke detectors with nest as well and with the hue bulbs they flash red if the smoke alarm goes off. It's rather cool.

DPotter Thu 28-Apr-16 18:24:04

Just had our boiler done as well. I had to resist the heavy sell about the 'smart' controller. Our internet access is so poor at times its unbelievable we live just 3 miles from centre of major town with significant computer / software companies presence.
Our electricity supply is dodgy enough - lots of very short power cuts which de-programme controller, phones, oven the whole shebang!

MooBaaWoofTweet Thu 28-Apr-16 18:59:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:10:34

We've got a smart meter. It's been replaced, had an aerial added to it. Doesn't work. Has never worked. Don't think it will ever work. Still have to read the meters and pass on the info. Stupid thing.

Sidge Thu 28-Apr-16 22:10:08

We've got Hive, I love it.

Only had problems a few times when we've lost our wifi and then I can control it from my phone using 3G.

Love being able to control it remotely, rather than on a timer or manually in the house.

SistersOfPercy Thu 28-Apr-16 22:24:34

Tado here, it's never failed me yet.

The only small hitch was the proximity control which worked out where you were in relation to the home and heated /cooled it accordingly. I work 300 yards from my front door and tado hadn't realised I'd left home.
Emailed cs and they had it fixed within ten minutes.

The simple pleasure in being able to knock the hot water on for a bath when I leave work is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now