Talk

Advanced search

To think I shouldn't have to pay the full amount?

(17 Posts)
seekingwhatsoutthere Thu 28-Apr-16 13:22:18

I'm trying to book a surprise afternoon tea and it's for a group of 10 people.

It's £20 pp and the venue wants me to pay the full £200 straight away.

I obviously don't mind paying a deposit but the full amount?

Aibu and would the majority of people just pay it?

WhatchaMaCalllit Thu 28-Apr-16 13:29:13

If you were having a different event (not afternoon tea) in this venue, you would be expected to pay a deposit so I'd go with that. Tell the venue that you're willing to pay 50% now and 50% on the day and see how that goes.

idontlikealdi Thu 28-Apr-16 13:30:27

Is it short notice?

SavoyCabbage Thu 28-Apr-16 13:31:24

I wouldn't what to pay it now as people are bound to pull out. I would try to book elsewhere and if you can't then ask everyone for the £20 by a certain date (give them your account details) explaining that the venue wants to be paid upfront then book for however many people pay.

curren Thu 28-Apr-16 13:31:32

When are you booking for?

seekingwhatsoutthere Thu 28-Apr-16 13:36:15

I'm booking for mid July so not ages in advance but not last minute either

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Apr-16 13:37:17

Ask for the money from everyone then book it. Unless you're certain everyone will pay.

curren Thu 28-Apr-16 13:38:17

It's unusual. However if that's their booking conditions, it's their booking conditions.

You can offer half now half on the day, or maybe the week before. But if they say no, it's up to them.

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Apr-16 13:39:25

I have a group of friends (six of us) one normally pays for things in a credit card and we all pay her back, but we've been friends for years so she's knows she will get the money back straight away

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Apr-16 13:40:28

And actually come to think of it, I had to pay the full amount for an afternoon tea recently at s local place.

WhatchaMaCalllit Thu 28-Apr-16 15:08:37

Apologies for all the questions but
Is the surprise afternoon tea for one person of the group of 10 or for all of them?
Are you treating them all to afternoon tea?
Did you explain to the venue that the afternoon tea is supposed to be a surprise event?

LitteRedSparkle Thu 28-Apr-16 15:11:34

I'd get the money from people first - as you cannot be charging people for a surprise, so the people you are taking will either know they have to pay £20 or not

LitteRedSparkle Thu 28-Apr-16 15:12:29

although are you paying for them? its not clear

and if you are, then how much do you want to go there? theres your answer

ChicRock Thu 28-Apr-16 15:14:32

If it's the venue near me that's renowned for its afternoon tea, then yes, for a booking of 10 ppl you'd have to pay upfront.

And they'll have no problem filling the space if you don't want to agree to their booking conditions.

Arfarfanarf Thu 28-Apr-16 15:14:53

yes, get the money first (for those it's not a surprise for, I assume they're being paid for) and then book.

Otherwise you'll pay and be chasing everyone!

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 28-Apr-16 15:16:52

I've always paid upfront for afternoon tea. Probably because they are fully booked generally but, unlike dinner, they don't get 'walk ins' to make up for you if you don't show.

KP86 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:27:19

Yep, fairly normal for afternoon teas to be paid for at the time of booking.

There is a lot of prep work that goes into an afternoon tea compared to ala carte orders, so the venue doesn't want to prepare for 10 and only have 6 show up and pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now