Talk

Advanced search

Salary

(37 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:16:33

Started new job, but not in the office today.

Some of you will have read about the "new job woes" I have. Anyhow , one of the many things said about my new employer is that they never have your salary in your account first thing in the morning.

Payday is 28th, currently my salary has not appeared, according to moanalot in the office it can be anytime up to 6pm! She has had to ask before where it is.

I actually do think this is poor, it's a fixed salary so no "workings" needed, I have always had a pay date of last Friday or 25th or whatever and the salary is in the account as soon as I look in the morning.

AIBU, to expect this? I'm concerned due to the negative comments etc that I am expecting issues, when I needn't!

This is a professional company, that has been established for a long time. No cash flow issues and employ an accountant to work payroll so literally just need to pay the same amount each month, this one slightly different as new tax year but really shouldn't make a difference?

LotsOfShoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:21:50

it varies. In my previous job I got paid on the 22nd. Current job - I get paid on the 28th as well and it appears in my account anywhere between 2am and 6pm.

BlueMoonRising Thu 28-Apr-16 12:24:29

You underestimate the work involved with payroll, you have to calculate it every month, even if the end result is the same.

I'm on the fence. If payday is the 28th, as long as it is in the bank before midnight they are doing what they said they'd do.

queenofthepirates Thu 28-Apr-16 12:27:29

Cripes, I think you're overdoing this especially in a new job.

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:27:48

So really IABU? Im happy to accept that, just wanted to clarify.

I suppose I'm a little edgy because of all the negativity in the office.

"Puts back on upbeat smile and disposes of snarky email!"

Fink Thu 28-Apr-16 12:30:12

YABU. Anytime before midnight on 28th is fine. You would be expected to organise payments out on the basis that 29th onwards is when you will be using the money.

SucculentSoul Thu 28-Apr-16 12:32:04

My dh works for a big multinational and their salaries are never in until the afternoon. I don't think it is a big deal in the grand scheme of things but after being skint for quite a while I am just grateful that their is money going in, I don't care about what time it goes in at.

OliviaStabler Thu 28-Apr-16 12:33:09

As long as you get paid on the date they promise , whatever time, I think it is OK.

whois Thu 28-Apr-16 12:34:31

Yes as long as it is in there before midnight all is cool

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:36:53

Thanks, I do feel moanalot is trying to wind me up to react! It was a leading question "when you were at your old place, when did you get paid?' ...I answered and got that pause and a "well it's not like THAT here'. Again I need to stop, think and make my own judgement about the company!

Thank you MN for putting me straight!

peggyundercrackers Thu 28-Apr-16 12:40:34

YABU - any time before midnight is when it should be in.

peggyundercrackers Thu 28-Apr-16 12:41:43

tell moanalot that your contract says you will be paid on x date - as long as its in on that date you don't give a toss what time it goes into your account.

Crinkle77 Thu 28-Apr-16 12:42:21

I work for a large company and our wages are always paid by BACS and are in when I check in the morning. In fact one time I had been paid just before midnight.

StealthPolarBear Thu 28-Apr-16 12:42:43

Yes surely you just asdume/ work on the basis that payday is 29th

MrsSparkles Thu 28-Apr-16 12:42:51

That's more than likely the banking system - for whatever reason you can never be sure what time it shows up in the recipients bank account. I do payroll and its a constant bugbear of people on payday complaining their money isn't in their account yet.

Al I can do is reassure that the payment has been made.

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:49:15

Peggy you're right, I'm not in until Tuesday (pre booked) holiday....you want to take bets on what one of the first five questions will be? It'll be what time did you get paid!! I'm going to shrug my shoulders and say the 28th, I checked on 29th and it was there! I'm glad I've got you lot to bounce things off!

I'm so pleased with this new opportunity (I even took study book on holiday!!) but moanalot is draining the life out of me!!!

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 12:50:22

I'm happy to assume a payday of 29th non issue, but I got caught in the "they don't give a damn about us' whinge!!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 28-Apr-16 13:26:42

Do you work for a small company and is the money transferred by BACS or faster payments.

I would assume that most big companies use BACS and the money takes exactly 2 days to move so sets off on Wednesday and arrives at midnight early Friday and probably happens automatically once the amount has been set.

But smaller companies might use faster payments so someone would be sat there some time on Friday with a list of names and amounts and manually make all the payments and the payments turn up as and when on the Friday.

As long as your salary is in your account by the agreed time, I don't see any cause for complaint.

My salary has been exactly the same for about 5 years but it still varies by a few pence each month, presumably something to do with National Insurance and weeks and possibly whether there is 30 or 31 days in the month.

LurkingHusband Thu 28-Apr-16 13:45:17

When cheques were common, this was easier to deal with, as even if your balance was £0 when you checked it, any cheques due to hit the account that day would be cleared.

In fact, in many years of finding various trivial and serious faults in UK banks, the one thing they never managed to mess up was bouncing a cheque from an account which had funds put in the same day the cheque was presented. Which suggests to me there was a sanity filter somewhere which ran after all the ins/outs, so you wouldn't see a bounced cheque like that. (--because I so wanted that to happen for 15 years--)

ImNotDancing Thu 28-Apr-16 13:47:01

admittedly, if I was told payday was the 28th I would expect it to be in there the morning of pay day, not 6pm

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 15:32:24

Ok, money has arrived and I'm fairly sure they have overpaid me!!!

grin

Musicaltheatremum Thu 28-Apr-16 16:21:59

I pay my staff by faster payments. (Small GP surgery) I'm just home from helping the manager with this as 2 of us have to authorise. It is usually in the account on the last working day of the month which is when the payment from the health board arrives in our account.
Occasionally despite doing everything at the same time the payment doesn't arrive until later. It can't be helped. I get paid the same way so I'm as anxious as the rest of my staff.

RandyMagnum Thu 28-Apr-16 16:33:07

Mines always in my account just after midnight on payday.

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Thu 28-Apr-16 16:44:42

Your payday is the 28th and you started complaining at midday that you hadn't been paid? the 28th lasts all day you know.
Also it sounds like if there is negativity in the office you are adding to it.

Newjobwoes Thu 28-Apr-16 17:19:48

Tigger, I started "complaining" my second post was, I'm glad you're thinking I ABU!

Are you my work colleague you sound as miserable and judgemental as her. Thank god there are few of you lot in the world!!! It makes it a happier place without you.

Thanks everyone else, it's tough changing jobs, but still upbeat and glad I have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now