to be properly pissed off with my neighbour and his bloody extension?

(8 Posts)
Shamalamalam Wed 27-Apr-16 20:28:32

The neighbour opposite me is building an extension. He's building it himself and as he has a full time job he's doing the work in the evenings and weekends.

I'm knackered, I've been at work all day so I just want to put the kids to bed and slob out in front of the TV, but he's currently outside cutting up paving stones with the noisiest contraption known to man.

I can't even get a lie in at weekends as he's out there making a racket at 8am. 7am last Sunday and he was trying to start up some sort of digger thing, except he couldn't and kept setting an alarm off on it - once he'd actually got it started and round the back of his house it wasn't a problem, but the alarm was loud enough to wake the dead

There's mud everywhere on the road, a huge skip which is making access in and out of our little estate tricky, their cars are parked in everyone's way as his drive is full of stuff.

He's rigged up a load of lighting so it doesn't even stop when it gets dark - we've all (other neighbours and us) been out and asked him so many to keep the noise down, which to be fair, he does (eventually - "just another 10 minutes" "I've just got 1 more thing to do" - until the 6pm next night, once he's had his tea and it all starts up again.

It's just noise and mess and PITA and it's been going on for bloody weeks and I have had e-bloody-nough!

Looly71 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:31:35

There are rules about what times of day noisy building work can be carried out both on weekends and evenings so check them out and perhaps have a quiet chat with your neighbour. He certainly shouldn't have any noisy machinery going at 7am on weekend!

Belvedere Wed 27-Apr-16 20:32:07

Report him to the council, he's working outside sociable hours and they will write to him and get him to stop. Sounds terrible!

Looly71 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:58:54

There are rules and restrictions about what time noisy building work can be carried out both in evenings and on weekends perhapd familiarise yourself with them and have a quiet word with neighbour. No one should have to put up with noisy machinery at 7am on a Sunday

Looly71 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:59:34

I seem to have posted twice sorry blush

ChicRock Wed 27-Apr-16 21:02:14

Depends on where you live as to the hours of noise restriction - in my area the noise he's making would be deemed as acceptable between the hours of 7am to 8pm and yes that includes weekends.

AddToBasket Wed 27-Apr-16 21:02:36

I'd complain to the council and get them to have a word with him. Not worth you falling out with your neighbour.

In his defence, it won't last forever. Bloody annoying while it does, though.

Shamalamalam Wed 27-Apr-16 21:07:10

We did speak to the council, and because he does, eventually, pack it in when we ask him to, they weren't interested. Will ring them again tomorrow

As it's his own house, they didn't consider it to be a "construction site" so they said it wasn't subjected to the same noise rules.

I'm sick of going over there every flipping night. He finally shut up about 20 minutes ago - 45 minutes after I first asked as he "just had 2 more to cut"

I just want the bloody thing built now. God knows what he's building, he must be building a super basement and doubling the size of his house or something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now