Talk

Advanced search

To be upset that they gave my appointment away

(46 Posts)
sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 19:56:19

I made a Drs appointment for my 7 week DC today. I turned up 2 minutes late and they had given my appointment away. The appointments at my surgery are 10 minutes long so would have had maybe 6 mins left by the time I got into see the dr!
I know I shouldn't have been late (I was changing a poopie nappie) but having had to wait over an hour on many occasions for appointments for me previously I think it unfair to lose out by 2 minutes

Sirzy Wed 27-Apr-16 19:58:03

Was it genuinely only 2 minutes late? If it was then ideally they would have let you go in next.

But I guess they have had problems with people turning up late so have took a zero tolerance approach.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 27-Apr-16 20:01:08

It sucks, but it makes sense. If you're not checked in before your appointment, they give it to the next person. That means someone else gets nearly 10 minutes and the doctor can see more patients. Waiting to see if you turned up would eat into the already short time.

At ours, if you're late and your appointment is reassigned, you can wait until the end and see if the doctor has time to see you. Did they offer this?

CantChoose Wed 27-Apr-16 20:04:29

2 minutes does sound a bit extreme! Especially as the appointment was for a child.
Do they have a openly published policy about this? It's a big problem for some practices so some are more strict than others. We will see people up to the end of their appointment time then use our discretion - if they called ahead to explain and have a good reason, if it's an unwell child etc we will try to see.
I would probably have snuck you in at the end at the very least, but I'm a bit of a softie...

CantChoose Wed 27-Apr-16 20:07:02

Oh, yes anchor I would take the next person early if they were waiting and take the late person afterwards. I've never had someone waiting on standby for a cancellation though - probably as we have a free for all sit and wait clinic every day so people come to that instead.

sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 20:11:32

IT was genuinely 2 minutes. I ran down the hill to get there. They let me go in after but would only give me 3 minutes and told me to book another appointment. They gave the appointment to an 'emergency' which was someone who isn't registered at the surgery (I believe they are on a trip over here with a collage as there was a group of students waiting for them). Obviously I'm not sure what sort of emergency it was as I wasn't in the appointment.

I'm usually early for appointments and understand they can't wait forever to see if I turn up just upset me that the one time I am late is the time that they are on time! Usually have to wait as they run behind as they usually squeeze emergency appointments in between appointments

Minisoksmakehardwork Wed 27-Apr-16 20:13:16

I agree that it might only have seemed like 2 minutes to you. But I'd hazard nearer 10 minutes. If you were late because of a nappy I'd guess didn't realise until you were getting ready to go. Unless baby was near naked it does take longer than 2 minutes to undress, remove, wipe, redress and then wash up after. Even if absolutely everything else was ready to just walk out of the door.

Our GP has a touch screen for booking in. I know it only knocks you off that after 10 minutes, then you have to see receptionist to explain/book in or remake. Usually they're running late so they'll take you but you might wait a bit longer than some. Most of the time they slot you in if the person after you checked in first, so a straight swap in position if not in time.

Sirzy Wed 27-Apr-16 20:14:21

If they did see you then yabu!

sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 20:16:51

No. It was 2 minutes late not nearer 10 minutes.
They saw me to tell me to book another appointment and speak to HV as its to do with reflux.

Gazelda Wed 27-Apr-16 20:18:21

I think you are being a bit unfair. You were late, there was another patient who needed an emergency appointment. The GP saw both the emergency and your DC. It seems ideal to me.

However, when you've got a 7wo, I can remember thinking that my child should take priority. I understand why you are upset.

Gazelda Wed 27-Apr-16 20:20:51

Cross post. So you didn't get a 'proper' consultation? That's a bit off if you were only 2 mins late originally. Or would the GP usually refer you to a HV for reflux, so no different in this instance? Have you got an appointment with HV now? When do you see her/him?

shinynewusername Wed 27-Apr-16 20:21:14

As a GP, I'd agree that 2 minutes (if it really was 2 minutes) was harsh under normal circumstances. But, if there was an emergency, what probably happened was that your GP ended up responding because s/he happened to be available. In a genuine emergency, you don't bother about whether they are registered at the surgery or not - one of my partners once resuscitated a passing dog-walker in our car park!

If there is an emergency, you end up running horrendously late and some of the subsequent appointments get squeezed so that you can still fit everyone in. It is very annoying for those patients but probably fairer than cancelling anyone completely. I usually offer patients the choice of waiting or rebooking, so that they don't suffer the double annoyance of waiting, only to have a shortened appointment.

sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 20:21:41

I don't think DC should take priority. Just seemed unfair to me that it was given away after a genuine 2 minutes.

I completely accept that I shouldn't have been late which is why I expected to leave 15mins early before the poop nappy.

I will just book with the HV and see what she says

Cabrinha Wed 27-Apr-16 20:22:39

YABVU for that dripfeed!
You were a no show for your appointment but you still got fitted in to check it wasn't urgent and directed to the HV in the meantime.
What actually more did you want them to do?!

I'm with you though that it's Sod's law that surgeries only ever run on time if you're late!

sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 20:23:59

I need to call HV tomorrow to see when I can see her.
Maybe they would have seen me for longer if it was something more than reflux. This is my first baby so I'm not sure if they would have said see HV anyway?

Cabrinha Wed 27-Apr-16 20:25:29

But how long do you think they should wait to decide you're not coming?
Does your surgery have the usual poster about "this week we had x missed appointments"? It's usually a lot! Are they going to wait more than 2 minutes for each of those, especially when very often they'll be behind anyway?
They had no reason to think you were coming.
I sympathise that it was annoying for you, but you're unreasonable to expect them to wait.
And they still saw you!

Cabrinha Wed 27-Apr-16 20:27:18

Reflux is horrible flowers
I think HV vs GP will depend on severity. They told you to book in again, so I'd do both.
Hope baby grows out of it quickly!

Cabrinha Wed 27-Apr-16 20:27:43

(and congratulations on having a new one!)

PovertyPain Wed 27-Apr-16 20:30:44

Really don't want to offend you OP, but it would have been wrong to make the emergency patient wait if you were late for your appointment. By the time you would have signed in, you would have been MORE than two minutes late. The emergency should always take priority.

GreaseIsNotTheWord Wed 27-Apr-16 20:31:22

But how long do you think they should wait to decide you're not coming?

I'd say around 4-5 minutes tbh.

I mean, 2 minutes is a tiny amount of time - peoples clocks/watches being set slightly differently could amount for that...it only takes the surgery clock to be a minute fast and the patients watch a minute slow.

PovertyPain Wed 27-Apr-16 20:31:53

Oops. Forgot to add, congratulations on your wee baby. flowers

sepa Wed 27-Apr-16 20:34:14

They don't have a published amount of appointments missed. I'm
More upset as it was for DC. If it was for me I would probably just suck it up.
I'm not sure how much the HV can help as I have tried the recommended things they say try - I have sat up with DC for an hour during night feeds. Lowered her amount of food but feeding more regularly, burping often etc. She has symptoms of it being more severe (according to dr Google anyway) with wheezing, coughing, hiccups numerous times of the day, projectile vomiting and sicking clear liquid 2hrs after food. It isn't all after each feed though.

I will speak to HV and rebook with the dr making sure I am early to the next appointment for her

Sirzy Wed 27-Apr-16 20:34:58

5 minutes waiting for patients can soon add up though. 6 patients are 5 minutes late and that's half an hour lost - or enough time for 3 appointments lost.

Doctors have to keep moving so if the next patient isn't there then it makes sense to call in whoever is after that/emergency appointments.

PovertyPain Wed 27-Apr-16 20:37:10

I'd say around 4-5 minutes tbh. shock seriously?

So what happens if the clinic takes that line? Everyone's going to gave the attitude, "sure, it's ok, I'm only 5mins late" Can you imagine how late the last few people would be? Then you'll get the ones who are six minutes late complaining because "wharfs another minute?"

PovertyPain Wed 27-Apr-16 20:38:05

Rory about the spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now