Talk

Advanced search

To ask how many of you have a patch test when you go to the salon?

(41 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Wed 27-Apr-16 09:41:07

Just curious really.

A little over a month ago I suffered a severe allergic reaction hair dye. I have been dying my hair for so many years, its unbelievable. I asked my salon about skin tests and they said that as I have been colouring my hair without issue for years there is no problem and I dont need one (yes yes I know better now).

Anyway, it started with an itchy scalp, which became an itchy burny scalp, which became a swollen head and then a trip to a and e with breathing difficulty.

It struck me recently that I stupidly believed them that I wouldn't need a skin test. We have randomly discussed it at work and it turns out that its very hit and miss whether you get one or not, so thought I would do a quick MN poll to see how many people actually get a skin test before getting their hair coloured......

Peachesandcream15 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:44:05

I had a skin test the first time I went to my current salon and have had them at others. However I would say that once you've had the skin test at a particular salon, it's not repeated. I've been with my current hairdresser now for several years.

cosmicglittergirl Wed 27-Apr-16 09:45:23

Toni and Guy insist on them. Most salons don't really I don't think.

Perfectlypurple Wed 27-Apr-16 09:45:59

I had a skin test the first time I went to the salon I go to now. I went in to book an appointment to have my hair coloured dark back to its natural colour and they did another skin test due to the different dye they will have to use.

troubleinstore Wed 27-Apr-16 10:41:57

Every reputable salon should do one... I would have thought that they could be liable if anything went wrong if they hadn't done the test and you were allergic and had a reaction.

Smoothyloopy Wed 27-Apr-16 10:44:38

I have my hair done at the local college & always have a skin test.

Diamogs Wed 27-Apr-16 10:48:10

Every salon that I have been to do a patch test and this has been the case for years.

When i do it at home I usually intend to, but seem to never get round to it.

ampersandand Wed 27-Apr-16 10:50:03

I've never had a skin test done or offered in 10 years when I have had my hair dyed at various salons...thankfully no reactions, and I've stopped dying my hair now.

ijustwannadance Wed 27-Apr-16 10:50:32

For me I insist on it everytime. I also test myself every time when dying my hair at home, even when using the same one I had used before. But I have allergies and they can change formulas so would rather do a patch test than suffer as you did op.

Baboooshka Wed 27-Apr-16 10:51:05

I had a patch test the first time I went to my hairdresser, but have been using the exact same dye ever since, and they haven't repeated the test.

Can you develop sensitivity to a product? Or is it more that you can use 99 different products without issue, then have a bad reaction to the 100th?

GastonsPomPomWrath Wed 27-Apr-16 10:53:35

I've been seeing the same hairdresser since I was a child. My mum started to use her when she was newly qualified and never been anywhere else.

But I have never been asked to do a patch test. Ever. I really had no idea about them until I was in my twenties and I've been getting my hair dyed since I was about 13. It's shocking that they've never said anything about one given the risks.

MorticiaLiverish Wed 27-Apr-16 10:56:04

I've never had one at the salon I use.

DramaAlpaca Wed 27-Apr-16 10:56:27

I've been to dozens of different salons over the years and I have never, ever had a patch test. That's quite bad really, isn't it?

Junosmum Wed 27-Apr-16 11:01:20

My salon gave me one the first time and ask every time I book if I've had one recently. It's not a fancy salon.

Peppaismyhomegirl Wed 27-Apr-16 11:07:53

Ive had in everytime we needed to use a different dye. Had a reaction randomly and I've never had one before. Turned out I was pregnant and didn't know it yet.

rainbowrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 11:59:32

Recently I went to the local college to have my hair done, unless you have a skin test every term they won't dye your hair.

Previously I have had 2 mobile hairdressers who never did skin tests however one went on to own a salon and then made clients have them. She told me I didn't need one as she had done my hair previously.

Another local salon I tried don't ever do them either.

I think it's totally hit and miss who offered them and who doesn't.

ijustwannadance Wed 27-Apr-16 11:59:50

Yes you can develop sensitivity to a product at any time. Hormonal changes can sometimes cause it like pp.

Babyroobs Wed 27-Apr-16 12:04:14

The salon I go to will not colour hair for the first time without a patch test.

MantaRayBay Wed 27-Apr-16 12:23:21

Been thinking of you OP. How is your scalp now?

I had it done when I had my hair coloured at the salon. They gave me a card saying the patch test expired after a certain time ie would need to be repeated before being coloured again.

I also had it done when I had a leg wax before my wedding.

grannycake Wed 27-Apr-16 12:27:23

Local FE college for hair and beauty treatments - always patch test up to 7 days before. No test, no treatment

IpreferToblerone Wed 27-Apr-16 12:27:57

I have my hair coloured every few weeks, mobile hairdresser comes to my house. Had a severe allergic reaction a couple of years back though not as bad as OP. Changed product and she uses an anti itch lotion along with it which is fab. No I don't get the patch test each time, even after having gone through a bad episode.

wheatchief Wed 27-Apr-16 12:51:48

My salon test me yearly, even though I routinely get my hair dyed. It drives me mad but at least they take safety seriously.

notinagreatplace Wed 27-Apr-16 12:59:02

Do you have to get a patch test done in advance or can you do it on the day?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 27-Apr-16 13:01:27

How does a patch test work for home colouring? Because the stuff says it needs to be used immediately. Can you mix it, patch test and then use it 24 hours later?

Ive never been asked in a salon to have one done.

chocdonutyy Wed 27-Apr-16 13:04:27

My salon insists on one 48 hrs before dyeing hair, I go regularly but not to have hair dyed. the college do them every so often but is recorded so they only last so long.
A friend at work lost one of her friends to a reaction to hair dye, had dyed her hair many times before, just this one time had a major reaction to it and died very quickly, the husband didn't even make it home to her in time.
I always do a skin test at home or when going to a salon, it's not worth the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now