Cat shitting on front lawn every morning!!!

(62 Posts)
martha16 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:04:41

I do not expect to get up and have to pick up diarrhoea cat/dog (I assumed cat but someone said they bury it?) every morning!! It stinks, it's vile. I'm pregnant so shouldn't be touching it anyway!!

We had builders doing the front path and not once in the four days they pooped on the grass!!! As soon as they have done its back at it! We have a mental fence up at the front so no idea how it's happening if it was a dog, although sometimes the poop (a cat and dog?) look different and sometimes both at the same time!! Iv tried smelly beads that didn't work! House is a brand new build, grass only been laid 6 weeks, why aren't they doing it to next door!?

TheCatsMeow Wed 27-Apr-16 09:08:29

Cats do usually bury it.

There really isn't much you can do about this.

acasualobserver Wed 27-Apr-16 09:09:00

We had builders doing the front path and not once in the four days they pooped on the grass!!!

I'm assuming you let them use your toilet instead.

Wineandpopcorn Wed 27-Apr-16 09:09:51

neither of my cats bury it, it's minging and I truly sympathise flowers

Cressandra Wed 27-Apr-16 09:10:30

Cat is trying to claim your garden as its territory. It knows it "owns" its own garden and doesn't need to stake a claim so publicly (to other cats). That is my theory anyway.

Water pistols are quite effective especially if you see it happen.

With dogs they all like to mark the same spot. I wonder if the same is happening to your garden with different cats all staking their claim.

NancyDroop Wed 27-Apr-16 09:10:52

Hehe your second paragraph reads as if you're pleased the builders didn't poo on the lawn!!

Seriously though, we very much have the same problem though and I don't know what to do. For is it is cats and foxes. I have small DC so don't want to use terrible chemicals. Don't want them picking up poo either!

When I mow the lawn it blows up into my face if I haven't picked it up by hand. I hate it.

NancyDroop Wed 27-Apr-16 09:12:15

Would putting cat litter out in a tray attract the cats to use this instead? Has anyone tried this?

TamzinGrey Wed 27-Apr-16 09:13:28

We used to get this. Solved the problem by keeping the grass very short and sprinkling a few mothballs around.

martha16 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:13:42

It makes me feel sick, when it's warm you can smell it so I can't open my front windows. Iv tried them smelly bead things and they didn't work 😩.

The kids now play a game of spot the poo when we go to do the school run every morning. Iv never seen the cat(s) that do it?! i actually haven't seen any cats round this street. I'm guessing they do it under the cover of darkness 😒

Penfold007 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:14:39

I bet it's fox pooh not cat pooh and yes it stinks

NancyDroop Wed 27-Apr-16 09:15:57

Tamzin what kind of mothballs? The ones I have in my closets seem too expensive to sprinkle round and marble sized so they might catch in the mower.

How densely do you sprinkle?

Cressandra Wed 27-Apr-16 09:17:37

Cats tend to poo after their meals, which by definition is when people are about. If you've never seen cats let alone pooing cats, it could well be foxes.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Apr-16 09:18:08

Sounds like fox poo if it's that offensive.

martha16 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:20:50

Where would the foxes be coming from? We live in a quiet built up area sad

TamzinGrey Wed 27-Apr-16 09:26:17

Nancy I used the old fashioned white mothballs - the smelly ones - and plonked them down wherever the poo had been (removed that first at arms length with a trowel). If you don't want to use them whole, put them into a bag and bash them with a hammer to crush. I got mine from Amazon and they weren't expensive. Worked a treat. It's important to keep the grass well cut though. They prefer to go on long grass.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Apr-16 09:26:36

Foxes are everywhere,especially built up areas as there's more food about. Tons in London, since moving to the country I've seen one on ten years!

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 27-Apr-16 09:31:20

I think fox poo is usually quite dark in colour.

We have neighbours with cats. one poos all over our front garden and one the back. funnily enough neither poo in their own gardens.

really winds me up. not found anything that works other than the hose pipe but I will only use that if it is warm enough as I wouldn't want to make the cats ill as much as I don't like them.

foxes love built up areas...

NancyDroop Wed 27-Apr-16 09:31:25

Thank you Tamzin I am going to try your mothball and short grass method. Exciting!

TamzinGrey Wed 27-Apr-16 09:34:57

Nancy I've just noticed that you have small DOcs, so not a good idea to leave mothballs lying around. Maybe keeping the grass extra short will do the trick.

NancyDroop Wed 27-Apr-16 09:41:35

Are the mothballs toxic to touch do you think or just to eat? My 2yo doesn't eat things lying around and we watch her carefully. But...ok maybe still not great.

I will try short grass and maybe some mothballs in areas of the garden she doesn't go to.

My other DC is 7 days old so not a problem this year but next year it sounds like a no-no.

martha16 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:43:50

Can someone link the moth balls 🙊 It's in my front garden so kids won't touch x

Tanith Wed 27-Apr-16 09:46:25

Oh gosh, don't use the mothballs: they smell almost as offensive as the droppings!

What worked well for us were those ultrasonic cat repellers. We can't use chemicals because of the kids, but the repellers stopped the cat in its tracks. Most are solar charged so no problem with the battery running flat.

BillyGoatGruff007 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:55:13

Fill an empty clear plastic 2 litre bottle of water with tap water and place it on the lawn.
We've had one at the edge of our lawn for twenty years; it works.
It went from daily cat poo to maybe five times since we put the bottle there.
Don't know why it works, but it does.

oldjacksscrote Wed 27-Apr-16 09:55:50

I had a cat coming into my garden pooping and going after the birds, I went on a steak out and scared it away every time I saw it. I probably looked pretty mad but I hate the buggers and it worked.

Micah Wed 27-Apr-16 09:59:24

Probably fox. Especially that time of day.

Mothballs are very toxic, you'll poison all the wildlife, your soil, cats, dogs, children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now