Talk

Advanced search

To think my MIL shouldn't put DDs shoes on the highchair tray?

(65 Posts)
HolidayBluesTonight Wed 27-Apr-16 00:51:22

Went to pick DD up from MIL today. MIL went to get Dds shoes which were sat on top of the highchair tray! As far as I'm concerned shoes should go no where near a surface that food will be eaten off. Was so shocked I didn't say anything. AIBU to be repulsed by this and think she shouldn't be doing it?

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 00:54:01

No she shouldn't, it's like putting shoes on her plate but why on earth didn't you say anything at the time?

EatShitDerek Wed 27-Apr-16 00:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 27-Apr-16 00:56:58

Erm, have highchair trays (and indeed, plates) become unwashable since my dc were small?

Absolute non-event.

AntiHop Wed 27-Apr-16 01:00:01

Yanbu. Would she put her shoes on her dining table?

funniestWins Wed 27-Apr-16 01:00:10

Not the most hygienic thing in the world but unreasonable to call it shocking!

The average highchair user pits far more unsavoury things in their mouth frequently.

We used to give the highchair a quick wipe with an antibacterial cloth before it was used. Maybe your mother does too.

ElderlyKoreanLady Wed 27-Apr-16 01:11:42

Shocking? You know those things wipe clean, right?

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 27-Apr-16 01:18:21

Oh ffs...

Out2pasture Wed 27-Apr-16 01:23:23

sadly upon a few occasions I have put my shoes on the table and on the bar countertop sad
I hang my head in shame....not. it's convenient and better than not remembering where the shoes are.
it's a flat surface like any other.

Witchend Wed 27-Apr-16 07:30:03

Well at the age dd2 was still using a high chair her favourite thing to do with shoes was pull them off and chew them.

Chottie Wed 27-Apr-16 07:31:59

OP - I'm with you on this one. I'm just thinking why?!?

Bishybishybarnabee Wed 27-Apr-16 07:34:29

Not particularly pleasant but easily solved with a quick clean of the tray.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 27-Apr-16 07:36:20

"shocked and repulsed" - what an overreaction.

High chair trays are notoriously minging and everyone gives them a once over before serving food. This is not a biggie. Or is it just another thread designed to show how dreadful mothers in law are?

RuthyToothy Wed 27-Apr-16 07:36:58

Are you really that desperate to find a reason to snipe about your MIL? Was it ideal? No. Does it matter in the slightest? No.

Keep your powder dry. I'm sure you'll find many more reasons to bitch about her as the years go by.

dementedpixie Wed 27-Apr-16 07:37:46

I can't get overly worked up about it tbh. The tray can always be cleaned before food is served.

DustyBustle Wed 27-Apr-16 07:39:34

Unless your child was sat there eating food directly off the tray I really wouldn't be bothered.

Your MIL is good enough to look after your child and presumably managed to raise your husband without harm?

acasualobserver Wed 27-Apr-16 07:39:37

"Repulsed"? Really? That seems like an over-reaction.

Pagwatch Wed 27-Apr-16 07:42:26

It's only dreadful if you are the sort of person who doesn't clean high chair trays.

I hope you never use high chairs in shops. I've seen nappies placed on the ones in our local sports centre.

But of course 'your bubs your rules Hun. She's discusting. I'd go no contact'

BillBrysonsBeard Wed 27-Apr-16 07:45:08

Total overreaction. People make life so much harder by getting stressed about the small things.

curren Wed 27-Apr-16 07:46:41

Not ideal. But unless there is a reason the high chair can't be cleaned, I don't get why it would upset anyone

AugustaFinkNottle Wed 27-Apr-16 08:03:52

You're easily shocked. The high tray will have had food and your child's dribble and snot on it, so long as it's wiped before use it's perfectly healthy.

SaucyJack Wed 27-Apr-16 08:15:48

<Awaits massive dripfeed>

ToriaPumpkin Wed 27-Apr-16 08:16:27

Both my children used to delight in wriggling until they could get this feet up onto the tray. Sometimes they were wearing shoes.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 27-Apr-16 08:17:37

Shocked? Repulsed?

I can't see beyond the hyperbole.

Yabu.

JessieMcJessie Wed 27-Apr-16 08:20:16

You're overreacting. However my very superstitious Mum insisted it was bad luck to put shoes on a table, even brand new ones still in the box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now