Talk

Advanced search

To ask another stupid cooking question here

(12 Posts)
Abbbinob Tue 26-Apr-16 21:20:49

Yes i know i ABU but what colour is turkey meant to be when cooked?
I used turkey instead of chicken for a curry, and its kind of brown? Is that normal? it's definitely cooked because it's been cooking for ages but isn't it meant to be white?
I think my mum is probably getting fed up of me phoning her to ask stupid cooking related question

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 26-Apr-16 21:22:05

Dark meat and white meat. Legs on chicken and turkey is darker than breast meat.

Paulat2112 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:23:43

Depends what bit of turkey it is.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 26-Apr-16 21:23:54

MrsTP is right, leg meat is much darker, almost brown especially if pan fried

liz70 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:25:19

It depends what part of the bird - it can vary from pale creamy colour on the breast to brown on the thighs. The test is whether the juices run clear i.e. not bloody.

Ameliablue Tue 26-Apr-16 21:38:57

It will also take on colour from the spices in the city.

Ameliablue Tue 26-Apr-16 21:39:39

Curry not city confused

OhSoggyBiscuit Tue 26-Apr-16 21:41:42

Turkey isn't always a white meat. As long as it isn't pink and the juices run clear you'll be fine.

NicknameUsed Tue 26-Apr-16 21:43:33

Breast meat is white and leg meat is brown. I thought everyone knew that.

Oysterbabe Tue 26-Apr-16 21:45:14

Isn't it going to be dry and horrid if it's been cooking for ages?

Abbbinob Wed 27-Apr-16 09:28:56

Thanks everyone. didn't die so must have been fine. I know most people probably know that but surely everyone must have learnt it somehow? i was worried because i froze it on the day it was due to go out of date so i was worried it was off, cooking isn't exactly my best skill. or skill at all. curry usually comes out of the micorwave in this house blush

NicknameUsed Wed 27-Apr-16 20:12:21

" but surely everyone must have learnt it somehow?"

From having roast turkey for Christmas dinner as a child. The leg meat was clearly a different colour to the breast meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now