Advanced search

To call the police

(40 Posts)
neighbourhoodwoes Tue 26-Apr-16 13:03:36

Ok have NC so my other posts aren't linked.

We live in a flat. It is a house split into two flats but we share a main front door and letter box. Our neighbour is a single man who has mental health problems (I know this because he has told me)

On several occasions over the past few years the police have come for a welfare check because he has not turned up to his counsellor sessions.
On those occasions he has been with family. In the past he has been gone up to a month but always returned.

So in March he went again and I did not worry too much. The police have not visited so I presumed he was still going to the counsellor this time however there are letters from his family arriving (I know it is family as they write on the outside of the envelope) which says they hope to see him next time making it seem like he has not turned up.

There is mail behind the door post marked from before March the 20th and now it is clear he is not with his family I am worried. The electricity is on meter so he has not had electric for some weeks as I can see.

I was going to call the landlord but he doesn't work and gets benefits so I don't want to stir a whole load of shit up for him in that respect if he is claiming benefits for a property he is not living in.

But given his mental health issues I don't want to just leave it.

almostthirty Tue 26-Apr-16 13:05:09

I think you would be right to call the police given the history.

PinotAndPlaydough Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:02

Give 101 a call and ask them to do a welfare check. Better safe than sorry and you probably won't stop worrying until you know he is ok. He's lucky to have such a nice neighbour.

10storeylovesong Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:15

I work for the police and would (and have) called the police in similar circs. They wouldn't be contacting the benefits agency as a matter of course anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Pipbin Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:16

I couldn't leave it.
I'd be inclined to call the police.

srslylikeomg Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:28

could you contact his family? is there a return address/number on the envelopes? if not i would call the police non emergency line and tell them just to be sure people are aware. I wouldn't leave it either.

Magicpaintbrush Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:38

I think it would be a good idea to let them know you are concerned and why. If he turns up safe and sound then no harm done, but if something is really wrong and nobody knows he is missing then nobody will be looking for him. I hope he turns up safely.

chocdonutyy Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:53

Call the police non emergency number, he should have a record of sorts with the police and probably social services, they may know more than you, he could of possibly been sectioned?
If not they may be able to gain access somehow to check whats going on, I dont think you could leave it really.

ingeniousidiot Tue 26-Apr-16 13:08:08

I would call the police - I'd probably open mail as well and try to find his family or can you Google from the surname and postmark?

plantsitter Tue 26-Apr-16 13:08:51

Yes, call.

igglepiggleisanarsehole Tue 26-Apr-16 13:11:59

Definitely call

x2boys Tue 26-Apr-16 13:12:29

I would call the police they would do a concern for welfare check.

Ameliablue Tue 26-Apr-16 13:17:10

Yes I'd call.

Crabbitface Tue 26-Apr-16 13:17:22

Please do call 101.

neighbourhoodwoes Tue 26-Apr-16 13:18:09

There is no number or return address on the envelope from his family.

I am wary of opening his mail as previously he has accused me of using his address for mail because of his MH difficulties because a charity sent junk mail letters for me to 'his' address. i.e I am 13A and he is 13 and the charity missed the A off the letter and he thought I was taking out credit at his address as a result.

The police welfare checks in the past have just knocked on his door and shouted his name and gone away if he has not answered and I have done that already that's why I wondered about calling the landlord who would be able to get inside but like I said I don't want to get him in trouble with landlord for not living there while claiming benefits. Will the police try entry this time do you think?

I too wondered if he had been sectioned. Would the police be able to check that?

Will ring 101

Diamogs Tue 26-Apr-16 13:18:44

Yes please do call 101.

neighbourhoodwoes Tue 26-Apr-16 13:19:07

He is on FB but you cannot see his friends list on it.

aginghippy Tue 26-Apr-16 13:22:53

I would call 101 and leave it with them. They can contact the landlord, if needed.

starry0ne Tue 26-Apr-16 13:25:51

yes this is what 101 is for.

Sunnybitch Tue 26-Apr-16 13:28:07

Yes I'd call the police aswell

MTPurse Tue 26-Apr-16 13:31:04

I think a call to 101 would be a good idea. Hope he is ok!

ValancyJane Tue 26-Apr-16 13:32:46

I agree you should call 101

zofranks Tue 26-Apr-16 13:34:00

yes call them & let us know

MrsArthurShappey Tue 26-Apr-16 13:39:14

Another vote for calling 101, especially as the police have been involved before. Good luck!

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 13:43:51

Before you involve the police, I would call the mental health crisis team in your area and ask their advice. I bet they deal with this all the time, and may have a phone number for him. They can take whatever further action is necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now