Talk

Advanced search

Healthy food and eating

(5 Posts)
thebigmummabear Mon 25-Apr-16 16:52:06

Not really aibu but I'm posting for traffic. Tonight, is day 1 of healthy eating as a family. Quite ashamed to say that healthy eating hasn't been no 1 on my to do list. All i have ever known is fast food and very quick convenience foods ever since i was a child and now iv got two dc of my own (one who is disabled) and I'm a full time student, my husband works 10-12 hours a week and somehow without realising i have fallen into a similar trap to what i had as a childhood. Partly because i don't know how to cook proper meals and partly because i have probably put other things first. Don't get me wrong, they do eat plenty of fruit and drink milk, water etc and they aren't overweight (my dc1 who has additional needs is actually underweight.) but its taken a lot for me to realise that i could and need to do more. So tonight is day 1, roasted vegetables with wholewheat pasta and spicy chicken skewers. Feeling nervous as my dc1 has sensory processing disorder and its probably going to be stressful but fingers crossed it will be worth it in the end. Anyone have any other family meals that i can plan and try? i really need to make this work.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 25-Apr-16 21:52:10

I meal plan each week and had decided to do one vegetarian meal a week a month ago but the veggie meals have been so nice I have 4 vegetarian days on my meal plan this week. Spinach and feta pie tomorrow, miso salmon and aubergine, rice and roasted broccoli on Wednesday, cheese and tomato omlettes, rosemary roast potatoes and ceasar salad on Thurs, French onion soup and homemade bread on Friday....We always eat well but too much meat so I'm hoping to cut it back and be healthier. Good luck with your new eating style. Once you get used to eating healthy you won't miss fast food and junk at all.

Lilaclily Mon 25-Apr-16 21:55:15

How did the first meal go ?
Well do everything for that first step !
What are your dcs favourite meals ?
Chicken nuggets, fish fingers , burgers are all really easy to home make

Helloitsme88 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:56:52

On days I'm exhausted or have little time,I make omelette with ham ad spinach and maybe cheese. Or pasta and tomato pasatta. Or a sandwich with fruit and yoghurt as dessert. So many quick options out there that it needn't worry you. Keep going and enjoy coming up with new ideas

misskatamari Mon 25-Apr-16 22:05:58

I find batch cooking things like casseroles, curry, bolognaise, shepherds pie etc a godsend. Super quick to defrost in the fridge overnight then cook after work with some veg etc. Also baked potatoes, salad and chicken/salmon/halloumi are always really tasty and healthy. Stir fries are quick and healthy too. And home made chips are really tasty and easy - just chop up potatoes into chip shapes (sweet potatoes are lovely for this too) put on a baking tray in the oven with a bit of oil and cook for about 1/2 an hour, turning part way through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now