To think my insides should start behaving quicker than this??

(10 Posts)
DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 25-Apr-16 09:23:38

I came down with gastroenteritis on the 12th. The fever lasted a week as did the vomiting, the pain needed tramadol, and until Friday I couldn't be more than 30 seconds from the toilet. I'm now back on solid food, and planning a return to work.
What I can't understand is why it took so long. Is there some new bug about?

pippistrelle Mon 25-Apr-16 09:56:51

Sometimes it just takes a while. And sometimes a 'normal' bug can last longer if you're a bit run down to begin with. Must have been miserable though, so sympathy for that. Just be extra careful with hand-washing and generally looking after yourself for the next few weeks as your resistance to other illnesses doing the rounds might be a bit lower than normal.

Outfoxed Mon 25-Apr-16 10:00:05

I got gastroenteritis in October and I'm still suffering from mild pain and dodgy innards. It DESTROYS your stomach lining and intestines, it's not just a 24 hour bug, it's the real deal!

OliviaBenson Mon 25-Apr-16 10:32:06

It took me about 6 weeks to feel better and over a year for my gut to recover. It's horrendous.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 25-Apr-16 10:55:17

Uh oh. Surgery rang, abnormal specimen, can I see the GP tomorrow? That'll be a DRE for starters.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Tue 26-Apr-16 17:32:42

Just campylobacter, thank God. Got a few tips on handling chicken and no DRE.

pippistrelle Tue 26-Apr-16 17:47:44

Are you steadily feeling better now?

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Tue 26-Apr-16 20:50:06

Yes thanks. My appetite has come back with a vengeance, particularly for protein. Back to work tomorrow, yay!

Baconyum Tue 26-Apr-16 20:51:26

Its also cos it wipes out the healthy bacteria takes time to rebalance.

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 26-Apr-16 20:53:14

Did you remember to change your toothbrush?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now