Talk

Advanced search

To consider leaving a job this soon?

(35 Posts)
BeBe32 Sun 24-Apr-16 20:41:19

Hi everyone

I have posted this on the employment board but thought there may be a few more responses here and any advice would be welcome.

I started working at a university a few years ago. I loved my job and the people I worked with. The department I worked in was quite small and there was no real potential for progressing so I started to think that I would need to look for a better paid job as I needed to earn more and also wanted to progress. I started looking out for other jobs at the uni at the end of last year and completely unexpectedly got the first one I went for. I was so sad to leave my job but knew I was doing it for the right reasons. I started in my new department in February. I have found it really difficult, I feel out of depth and even though the people are nice I don't feel I fit in and really miss my old department. I have just found out that there may be a new role created in my old department which would be the same salary as I am on now. On the one hand I would love to go back. I loved it there and was so much happier and if I hadn't left when I did I would have definitely gone for this new role. The trouble is I think it looks really bad, if I were to get it, to leave a job after only a few months. Also I worry that it would be awkward working with that department in the future or if in years to come I ever decided to look for a job in that department again (I want to stay at the uni in the long term and the department is one of the biggest so in years to come this could happen). I have been so stressed and unhappy lately and I would love to go back to my old department and colleagues but feel like it might make me really unpopular, it would be easier if I was going to a completely different organisation, at least I'd never have to see them again after I'd left!

Any advice welcome

xx

DailyFailAreABunchOfCunts Sun 24-Apr-16 20:46:02

No advice but watching with interest.

RainIsAGoodThing Sun 24-Apr-16 20:49:00

Watching with interest too!

SwedishEdith Sun 24-Apr-16 20:58:09

I'd apply, nothing to lose (you might not get it!). I really think you need to look after your own happiness at work.

Good luck.

BitchAdministrator Sun 24-Apr-16 20:58:53

Can you just go bback? Are you on a temp secondment to this 'new' job?

If you are really miserable I would give it a month and then go back if it's as simple as that

If the shoe were on the other foot the uni wouldn't be agonising over sending you back-make it clear it's a business decision and make it amicable so that working together in the future shouldn't be an issue
Life is too short!!

May be clouded by my own shitty employment situation though...

AJ279 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:00:39

I would apply. The employer would always put their best interests first and so should you.

Junosmum Sun 24-Apr-16 21:01:56

You were at the last place 4 years, it was like a pair of comfy slippers with a whole in. You know they have to be thrown out and have your eye on a lovely new pair from John Lewis. You buy the new ones and throw the old ones in the bin. But the new ones aren't as comfy and you're sad, mourning for the old pair. Your mum suggests you take the old ones out the bin and she sews a patch on the bottom. What do you do?

Obviously you continue using the new ones- even if you repair the old ones, they wouldn't be the same. In fact, they'd be even worse, as you expect them to be even better than they were, but they won't be.

Your new job, old job and new job at the old place are like the slippers.

It takes time to get good at a job. It takes time to build relationships with colleagues. Even if you got the other job, the dynamic in your old place would be different- you've left, you'd have a new role, you'll have a new salary. It can't ever be the same, but different can be good. Give your new job 6 months. If you still hate it, look for a new one.

LadyintheRadiator Sun 24-Apr-16 21:05:53

You have nothing to lose, I'd do it. Last summer I was offered an amazing job. I had to wait a few months to start and I have honestly never been so excited about work before in my life. Three weeks in I realised I hated it. I thought I'd stick it out for a year and then leave but I ended up giving my notice after just eight weeks and going back to my old job. What a relief! Just as I've never been so happy about starting a new job nor have I been so thrilled to leave one. Life is too short. I probably broke the record for shortest serving employee ever.

BeBe32 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:06:16

Thank you for your replies. Sadly not a temporary secondment! And yes I may well not get it, I'm certainly not assuming that I will but just trying to think about my options.

I just want to stop feeling this unhappy but I also don't want to potentially put myself in a difficult position by upsetting people! In some ways it would have been easier if this job was to come up in 6 months time - at least then I could say for certain that I had given my current job a decent try but equally if I stayed and in a year's time was still this unhappy I would regret not taking the chance to return to my old department. I have no idea how I would explain I was leaving if it got to that point, I don't think they have any idea I'm so unhappy!

Thanks again for your replies - would be interesting if anyone has been in a similar position to hear how it turned out and whether it did cause problems!

xx

BeBe32 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:08:14

Glad to hear it worked out for you LadyintheRadiator! Was it very difficult to explain why you were leaving?

AJ279 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:12:19

I've not been in that exact position but I work for the NHS, I started my new job in March 2015, told them I was pregnant, went on maternity leave in August and I'm now finishing my maternity leave and starting in a different department tomorrow. They've been nothing but happy for me and gave me a glowing reference. (I honestly don't think it's because they wanted rid of me, they were pretty gutted I was leaving- apparently grin)

LadyintheRadiator Sun 24-Apr-16 21:55:15

It was a bit awkward - and I see ex employer regularly - but leaving was absolutely the right thing so any embarrassment has long gone because I'm doing what I feel I should be doing now.

That said, it was quite easy as my old job was open to me returning - perhaps think about what you would want to do if you applied and didn't get the job - would you accept it and crack on where you are or would that make you feel stuck and highlight all the bad stuff even more? If I hadn't been able to go back to my old job I might have stayed a bit longer than I did, I worried any other employer might wonder what the hell I was playing at.

BeBe32 Mon 25-Apr-16 07:10:47

I think if I didn't get the job I would stay a bit longer - that fills me with dread at the moment but before this job became a possibility I was thinking that as unhappy as I am I would stay as long as I could to see if things improved. I really worry how leaving this soon would look and I just don't know how I would explain it to my manager, I don't think she has any idea I'm so unhappy. The job that is coming up in my old department is one that had been talked about being created before and I really wanted it then but then it didn't happen, I am so gutted it has happened now when I have left.

I hate being this unhappy and dreading everyday but I feel overwhelmed thinking about the problems it will cause if I leave this soon,

xx

babyboyHarrison Mon 25-Apr-16 07:43:15

When you were in your previous role, did you ever raise it with anyone about the lack of further potential or promotions? Seems a bit strange that within a few months of you leaving they suddenly create the new role. if you said something and they said there were no promotions options and then you left and then they made the new job I wouldn't even try applying as they aren't the nice people you thought they were. If you never mentioned anything then take the lesson on board for next time, speak up when you gave concerns/queries and you might just get what you want.

I think I would stick it out in the current job, it takes time to feel settled and happy somewhere new and I think you'd be giving up too soon it would be different if you hadn't said that the people were nice.

alphabettyspaghetty Mon 25-Apr-16 08:02:31

I left a role and went back to that role after a month in my new job. I've been looking for another job now for 12 months. The reasons why I left in the first place are still there and they aren't going any time soon.

justlikeastar Mon 25-Apr-16 08:08:52

I'll be handing in my month's notice after 5 months in my current job tomorrow, so watching with interest. I've been offered an opportunity abroad that is just too good to turn down, and while I don't feel bad about leaving, I do feel very awkward about handing in my notice so soon. I know that this is the right thing to do however, I think you have to put yourself first in these situations smile

smalllondon Mon 25-Apr-16 08:38:24

Life is too short to be miserable at work and if it isn't for you and you've tried I don't think there is a problem in leaving. Like others have said, companies do not agonise about extending and terminating contracts on probation. I think most companies have a fair understanding that "the fit" isn't always right. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BeBe32 Mon 25-Apr-16 08:40:07

When I was based in the department I talked frequently with my manager about the lack of potential to progress, she was also aware and was unhappy about the situation and in fact the role that is now being created was one we talked about in particular but due to wider issues in the section these roles were not created despite frequent requests. However now due to some restructuring in the section this role has at last been created (even my previous manager said it was sod's law!).

xx

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Mon 25-Apr-16 08:43:33

Sorry for long story but this might help - Earlier on in my working life I left my first career job (the one I had studied at university to do) to completely change industries. It was a pretty big deal, i was sure I was doing the right thing, but the new job (a v quiet office job after studying/working in a vibrant exciting field) bored me to tears and I knew right away that I had made a horrible mistake. I tried to talk myself into staying as I thought that it would look bad in the future if i had a job on my CV for such a short space of time. But then a friend told me about a job coming up in a small company that was so exciting and perfect for me, it used my degree but in a different way, and so I bit the bullet and went for it - and I got it, and worked there for 5 years and it was pretty career-defining for me. The biggest mistake I made was to "stick it out" in the hated/boring job for 3 months, because i then had to give a month's notice instead of a week!! This meant that the new employer desperately wanted me to start earlier,i wanted to go, but instead I had to sit around like a lemon with not much to do for weeks on end. Different scenario I know, but the lesson I learned was to trust that first instinct! Any worries about the CV in future came to nothing, if asked I just painted the move as a temporary role between career-jobs. Good luck!

PurpleWithRed Mon 25-Apr-16 08:47:22

Apply. Work is business: if you are unhappy in your job you should move. Employers expect people to move on and know that some hirings fail. There will be a notice period before you leave so they will have time to find a replacement for you, and maybe next time they will find someone more suitable than you so all will work out for the best on both sides.

Don't hesitate, apply now.

Thissameearth Mon 25-Apr-16 08:57:28

You say your new manager has no idea you're unhappy - I think it might be good idea to talk to them. not an emotional " I hate it" conversation but take your time to consider and bullet point key issues which are problematic and discuss with them how to possibly work through and improve. Its perfectly understandable not to like a job and give it say 6 months but less professional/easy to understand if you don't mention issues and say everything's fine then suddenly leave. Also I agree with others it's suspicious that this development and promotion has come up in your old team so soon after you left (to seek the same things). has your old manager asked you to apply for the post?

IrenetheQuaint Mon 25-Apr-16 09:07:54

Worth a chat with your old manager to see if they want you to apply; if yes, go for it!

Daffolill Mon 25-Apr-16 09:14:23

I left a lovely job that I had been in happily for years and went for a job that was higher paid. I absolutely hated it for many reasons and I used to have trouble sleeping the night before work etc.

I lasted 3 months and resigned and went back to my old job. Was the best move I ever made, I'm now in a totally new job and happy.

Mistigri Mon 25-Apr-16 09:14:42

I don't think this is an issue at all. It happens all the time where I work - people for short time then come back.

Mistigri Mon 25-Apr-16 09:15:18

Should read "people leave for a short time"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now